More High-Tech Jobs Coming to Area

"Smiths Aerospace to Grow in Grand Rapids, Create 76 New Jobs"

mibiz

http://www.mibiz.com/absolutenm/templates/...=6733&zoneid=25

Due to the huge contract they received from Boeing last year, they have been maddingly adding people over the last year, and I noticed the other day that they have taken over space near Cascade Engineering on 36th. I hear they are having a terrible time finding complete Cockpit Systems Engineers anywhere.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Smiths is always looking for people. They are actually the reason that GR landed on the USSRs first strike list. Very innovative, and very necessary. When they sold out to the UK, the Pentagon had to amend them as the one and only foreign owned preffered contractor for jet and missile parts.

Also, we produce nuclear missile warhead cones at the Bridgestone plant on Clyde Park. There are also a few unmarked plants around town that I have always wondered about. GR is definitely a strong part in the 'arsenel of democracy'.

• 5 months later...

Apparently Governor Granholm will be at Smith's Aerospace today talking about the jobs bill.

Smith's has just recently been awarded two more new programs in November worth almost $85 million in contracts. I'll bet they're the British company HolidayInnExpress's relative in Texas was talking about :thumbsup:

Here's a rundown of Smith's projects this year:

http://www.smiths-aerospace.com/Press/News/

SuperNova has it. My history teacher worked for the Navy on a Nuclear capable sub for the Government and he would include his special history lesson on why you should move extreamly far away from Metro Grand Rapids. He called us USSRs "One Tier," on the hitlist. Tier being the size of importance for a Nuclear first strike. My teacher would be proud to say we would always beat out New York, LA, Chicago for the first kill. Just to say that the USSR dosen't exists anymore Russia still has prerogrammed, "hot" weapons pointed at us, as according to the teach. Scary.

An article today about Smith's states that 60 positions are sitting there unfilled, and that of the 1500 employees there now, 1295 of them are engineers :blink:

Spectrum Health also has a running list of positions for which they constantly have a shortage:

http://www.spectrum-health.org/ContentStor...tage%20List.doc

Unbelievable.

Smiths is always looking for people. They are actually the reason that GR landed on the USSRs first strike list. Very innovative, and very necessary. When they sold out to the UK, the Pentagon had to amend them as the one and only foreign owned preffered contractor for jet and missile parts.

Also, we produce nuclear missile warhead cones at the Bridgestone plant on Clyde Park. There are also a few unmarked plants around town that I have always wondered about. GR is definitely a strong part in the 'arsenel of democracy'.

Hold up.

They're making what where? A nuclear warhead plant? GR is a top-tier missle target? This is about as interesing as it gets. You mind elaborating on that?

• 6 months later...

You know I think that Smiths is an interesting company. I'm not real clear on it's history, can someone fill me in on how it has it's North American headquarters is in Grand Rapids?

I don't know much about them either but my father did tell me a story once that when they were out on Roger B. there was a whole wing of the building that the highest level executives were not allowed into. They were doing defense contracting for the US and one of the stipulations was beacause the company was British owned there were restrictions on who knew what exactly was going on.

All the high level executives knew was that that part of the company was making a lot of money. Apparently that was good enough for them.

You know I think that Smiths is an interesting company. I'm not real clear on it's history, can someone fill me in on how it has it's North American headquarters is in Grand Rapids?

They got to Grand Rapids by acquiring Lear Siegler in the late 80's.

They got to Grand Rapids by acquiring Lear Siegler in the late 80's.

"55 Trips around the Sun; the history of Smiths Industries Information Management Systems in Grand Rapids Michigan." c1999. That is the book you want. It looks like its available at most of the Kent County libraries...

I don't know much about them either but my father did tell me a story once that when they were out on Roger B. there was a whole wing of the building that the highest level executives were not allowed into. They were doing defense contracting for the US and one of the stipulations was beacause the company was British owned there were restrictions on who knew what exactly was going on.

All the high level executives knew was that that part of the company was making a lot of money. Apparently that was good enough for them.

I have heard great stories like that as well from people i know who worked at LSI/SI. :thumbsup:

Archived