Convention Center in Concord

Raintree21

I read that a Missouri-based developer announced plans Tuesday for a 12-story, 250-room Marriott hotel along with a convention center and marina at Lake Norman, off the proposed Interstate 77 Exit 32, directly across from the Lowe's Cos. Inc. corporate campus.

Why do this? The Charlotte convention center is only used half of the time. It seems like this would only drag business away and make the Convention Center used even less.

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/business/11953051.htm

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mooresville and Concord (corrected).  I know a lot of the Mooresville residents that live near the proposed complex are very opposed to something of this stature being built.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think that the citizens of Mooresville & Concord need to get over it. How can they expect to keep a small town environment when sprawl is presently spilling over into their respective counties? Its inevitable...so they might as well get use to change.

I think that this convention center would cater to WAY smaller conventions that wouldn't necessarily go with the Charlotte Convention Center due to the fact that it is way bigger than their needs.

It also would offer a convention center with a resort setting, and a setting that many out of towners don't really have the oppurtunity to see when visiting Charlotte. They only have a few days and many don't take the time to go there.

I think it would be awesome to go to a convention and then spend an afternoon on the lake :)

• 1 month later...

Just an update...I work by this project and was on Speedway Blvd. today grabbing a bite to eat and noticed they had finished putting up the crane tower today. A couple of days ago I saw the crane and trucks pass so I guess this is officially going vertical!

Just an update...I work by this project and was on Speedway Blvd. today grabbing a bite to eat and noticed they had finished putting up the crane tower today.  A couple of days ago I saw the crane and trucks pass so I guess this is officially going vertical!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Neo, I went by the other day too. I saw the tower crane and was wondering why it was erected so tall. It looks as though they are going to put a very tall Hotel there. But I thought it was just 12-14 stories. Am I right on this??? ;)

A2

Neo, I went by the other day too. I saw the tower crane and was wondering why it was erected so tall. It looks as though they are going to put a very tall Hotel there. But I thought it was just 12-14 stories. Am I right on this???  ;)

A2

Well, you have to remember that the land it's going on is elevated a bit so it seems taller than it actually is. ;)

Well, you have to remember that the land it's going on is elevated a bit so it seems taller than it actually is.  ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

so it will be 12-14 stories then, right??? I think this is good if that is the case, since that area has NO verticle structures outside of the few 4-5 story hotels that have recently been built. Everything is sprawled out like a massive retail pancake. :blink:

A2

That is correct.  I think the real number is 12 but don't quote me.  :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks NEO. :thumbsup: I certainly be glad to see something with some height out there to break up the type of development that has engulfed the area.

A2

that is a VERY ugly looking building.  Puke green linoleum and fuscia doesn't mix IMO.  It looks like the designers are trying something different with the colors, but that's just plain hideous.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agreed, luckily I rarely go out that way so I won't have to look at it.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Now that this is completed the outparcels are beginning to be developed between the hotel and Speedway Blvd. Currently there is a permit out for a 105k sq. ft. 6 story Residence Inn hotel and a new permit I saw today for a Convention Center Plaza that I presume will consist of additional sprawl type strip-mall development.

It should also be noted that wheels have been turning in the minds of a few for a greenway to run behind all of these hotels and connect Concord Mills Mall to LMS. The city of Concord has put a silencer on the thought for the time being as funds available for the greenway may be needed elsewhere considering the recent announcement of the departure of Philip Morris which is a huge contributor to the local tax base.

I've given up hope on this area being anywhere near pedestrian family but I do feel that the greenway would help regain some of that lost hope, especially at times when race events are being held at LMS.

^ I honestly don't see the point. There is just no way that pedestrian traffic is ever going to be commonplace around CM, given the way it has been developed. A greenway, while nice in and of itself, would just go to waste in an area like that. Go ahead and use the money where it might do some good to the county, trying to urbanize the 85 corridor is a lost cause.

BTW, the convention center, while nothing to write home about, didn't come out nearly as ugly as the renderings suggested.

BTW, the convention center, while nothing to write home about, didn't come out nearly as ugly as the renderings suggested.

Agreed, I'm glad it wasn't the Myrth Beachish colors that were represented in the rendering. Had parking been put at the back in this area I believe it would have made a huge difference (if only in appearing that way) but the days for those decisions are long gone as it has been developed for the most part.

I actually think the greenway would be used by area residents and by racefans during events. The greenway near downtown Concord has been popular amongst the locals. My property backs up to a planned greenway and I'm really looking forward to it being built as my wife and I would be regular users of such a feature. I don't consider greenways a waste of money whatsoever, but I do agree that it is no concellation to the horrid development that has taken place around Concord Mills.

I do have to agree with Neo on this one. It will not improve the woes this area already experiences, but it will add a nice feature to the area hotels and restaurants. Considering the number of hotels that already exist and the number planned for the next few years, there will be plenty of guests within walking distance of the mall and the speedway without a means of walking there. Having a greenway here gives them that option, rather than braving rush hour, or even worse, race traffic, they can walk to tons restaurants and retail right from their hotels. Plenty of people already walk up and down Speedway for the races, how about giving them a safer option than that.

On a side note though, how exactly would they go about getting past 85? I'm not aware of any streams or bridges (outside of the Speedway Blvd bridge itself) on 85 that could provide a solution to that.

On a side note though, how exactly would they go about getting past 85? I'm not aware of any streams or bridges (outside of the Speedway Blvd bridge itself) on 85 that could provide a solution to that.

Though I am not certain that this is the route under discussion, it could be used:

I believe in the recent bridge hoopla this particular bridge is one listed as one of the worst in the state. This could be good timing for a discussion of designing a replacement so that a greenway could pass under it.

Concord's long-term greenway plans to call for a Rocky River greenway system of which would connect directly to this particular greenway system that is proposed along Speedway Blvd.

Archived