Millennium Gate

davidcjw

Has anyone heard any updates on the Millennium Gate Monument? It was announced last year with great fanfare, but now it's tough to find any information besides the original press release. I'm wondering if it was killed for one reason or another.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has anyone heard any updates on the Millennium Gate Monument?  It was announced last year with great fanfare, but now it's tough to find any information besides the original press release.  I'm wondering if it was killed for one reason or another.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I remember seeing the drawings of the proposed structure when it was announced. Frankly, I would cheer if it was dropped since I think it would be tacky in the sense of being totally out of place with the surroundings. I would rather the money be donated for the new symphony hall or some other major local project.

• 2 months later...

I remember seeing the drawings of the proposed structure when it was announced. Frankly, I would cheer if it was dropped since I think it would be tacky in the sense of being totally out of place with the surroundings. I would rather the money be donated for the new symphony hall or some other major local project.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Exactly......I'm just wondering what the triumpal arch is celebrating? For the amount of money this will cost, something modern of national recognition could be built....instead, what's coming is a throw-back piece of architecture which says, I wish this city looked older than it really is.

Okay, I will add my two cents here.

Although I applaude what has been done with the former steelyard that is now Atlantic Station, I feel that this monumental monument is being wasted on this loation. Aesthetically I feel the monument will be very pleasing but there are much more worthy and visible locations for such an item. Millenium Gate, IIRC, was commissioned to celebrate the millenium.....it's not a monument to triumph. If one understands the name, one can clearly see what it signifies.

It's purpose per the Foundation:

Due to the destruction of the city during the Civil War and a rapid, aggressive approach to development which has historically involved tearing down the old to make way for the new, Atlanta does not have the benefit of great architectural monuments and public works of art which exist in other cities of comparable size.

The National Monuments Foundation believes one of the keys to urban planning and to the survival of American cities is to build great public structures and spaces which, through their classical beauty, lift the human spirit and enhance the quality of life. This concept has been lost to Americans for several generations.

monumentTOP.gif

This or anything remotely resembling this in Atlantic Station is all wrong.

I find it interesting that the monument is being commissioned by Coca~Cola and The National Monuments Foundations, Inc. For whatever reason Coca~Cola felt that this was a great location for such a monument. To me it will look quite out of place. When the facade of the original Atlanta library was resurrected and placed as a temple feature in a small park where Peactree St meets Baker St, I applauded the location. It's such a prominent location and shows that Atlanta does have a reach and varied history.

Prince Charles graciously donated another monument to the city of Atlanta in memory of Princess Diana. It's Pershing Point location is also very visible and in a location where the surrounding architecture doesn't collide or detract from the theme. Here is a monument that embraces both the past and future and fits well into it's surroundings. I would much rather see the Millenium Monument by a water feature in Piedmont Park. Such a treasure will be hidden from most Atlantans (referring to metro as a whole). That in itself will be a tragedy.

Isn't it going to be near the pond in atlantic station's park? (going on memory here)

I remember there being an elliptical pond or something like that. Or is it going right in the middle of a bunch of buildings?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You are coorect. That's exactly where it's going. Heading west from Midtown you will see it as you approach the elliptical lake.

Okay, I will add my two cents here.

Although I applaude what has been done with the former steelyard that is now Atlantic Station, I feel that this monumental monument is being wasted on this loation. Aesthetically I feel the monument will be very pleasing but there are much more worthy and visible locations for such an item. Millenium Gate, IIRC, was commissioned to celebrate the millenium.....it's not a monument to triumph. If one understands the name, one can clearly see what it signifies.

monumentTOP.gif

This or anything remotely resembling this in Atlantic Station is all wrong.

You have a good point there. Atlanta Station has too many modern looking buildings to make the monument look right there. I think that, if they could find the space, it would look good in Fairlie Poplar because their are several older buildings in the district or, like you said, Piedmont Park.

Does no one else think that it looks like the Arc de Triomphe in Paris, or at least the arch you posted?

Millenium Gate, IIRC, was commissioned to celebrate the millenium.....it's not a monument to triumph. If one understands the name, one can clearly see what it signifies.

monumentTOP.gif

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I understand the name, I don't understand the architure. Whether they call it a triumphal arch or not does not negate the fact that it is a type of monument that was originated 2000 years ago by Roman's for the specific purpose of celebrating victories.

The whole intent of the National Monuments Foundation is to promote classical architecture, which to me makes this even worse.....of all groups that should understand the signifigance of this particular type of monument, they should.

To me there is just some sort of disconnect between naming something Millineum Gate to celebrate a new millenia, and using a style that was popular 2 millenia ago.

The latest Midtown Guide has a little info about this. It's about 6 stories tall and will be dedicated on Oct 27 as the final event in the grand opening week of the District area of Atlantic Station.

I think classical architecture generally looks fine and provides a good contrast to modern architecture. But I still think it would be much more appropriate at some location other than Atlantic Station. I would they would have saved it for the expanded Mayors park proposal which I think could have a huge impact on the city.

BTW, there are more arches in the world than the Arc de Triomphe. NY has something similar.

BTW, there are more arches in the world than the Arc de Triomphe. NY has something similar.

I know, it's just that the famous Arc de Triomphe in Paris was the first that i thought of.

I think I've said this before, but I think that these arches might look better in the fairlie-Poplar or one of Atlanta's major parks.

Exactly where in Atlantic Station will it be located? It may not serve a purpose to be seen. I personally don't vision it anywhere here in Atlanta, but I think we should just get over the fact that it isn't located where we want it to be, because we can't to a thing about it. Going by what THEY say, Atlantic Station is going to be phenominal, and it could work.

Exactly where in Atlantic Station will it be located? It may not serve a purpose to be seen. I personally don't vision it anywhere here in Atlanta, but I think we should just get over the fact that it isn't located where we want it to be, because we can't to a thing about it. Going by what THEY say, Atlantic Station is going to be phenominal, and it could work.

Its going to be next to the little park on 17th street.

Archived