Atlanta City Profile

ironchapman

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

IC, l love your profile. As one of the more ancient posters here, I'll throw out a few possible old-timer's suggestions:

The list of high-end hotels could be lengthy, but I think the Ritz-Carltons (Downtown and Buckhead) are closely identified with the city by many visitors.

Under movies, you could include Sharky's Machine, a Burt Reynolds epic shot in downtown Altanta back in the 80's.

Books could include Haywood Smith's 2003 The Red Hat Club, which set off a national fad among women my age.

You might think of adding Agnes Scott College to our list of educational institutions. While it's technically in Decatur, it's very much ITP and has had a long historical association with Atlanta as one of the nation's premier colleges.

Under parks, Oakland came to mind, just because I'd been out there recently. It's one of the crown jewels of the Parks Department and one of our largest greenspaces.

Finally, under Arenas and Amphitheaters you might throw in Chastain Park Amphitheatre, which despite its ups and downs has long been a quintessential part of the Atlanta experience. They've been hosting some of the best pop, rock and Atlanta Symphony shows forever.

I added all but the Westview Cemetery. Thanks for the info!

I'm thinking of adding a Cemeteries section. Are there any other big cemeteries in the city limits of Atlanta aside from Westview and Oakland?

Yeah, there are a bunch of them.

Many prominent Atlantans (Mayors Willam B. Hartsfield and Ivan Allen, journalists Henry Grady and Ralph McGill, Coke magnate Asa Candler, etc.) were buried at Westview. Alzono Herndon and MLK, Sr., were buried at Southview, and Hosea Williams and Ralph David Abernathy were interred at Lincoln Cemetery. Hollywood and Crestlawn are also major cemeteries. There are lots of small cemeteries of historic interest around town, such as the one at Sardis Methodist in Buckhead, which dates back to around 1820, I think.

Folks in Decatur would fiercely reject the notion that they are part of an upstart burg like Atlanta, of course, but the historically significant and very beautiful Decatur Cemetery, which is on the National Register, is probably no more than 5 miles from downtown.

Edited by Andrea

In the colleges and universities you should add

Southern Polytechnic University which I believe started as another campus for GA Tech.

Kennesaw State University is now one of the largest in the University system.

Perimeter college the metro's two year college

I'll add these when I get the chance. (probably sometime between tomorrow and the weekend). I'm still trying to make a Greenspace Banner for Atlanta's parks, cemeteries, and so on in. I'll probably be able to add it in when I get that done.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the movie! :)

I was just thinking of another movie, too. While I haven't seen them in a while, weren't big portions of the "Smokey & the Bandit" movies shot in Atlanta? I believe some of the car chases were shot up on GA 400, and I know the big scene at the end where the roller-coaster collapses was actually the demolition of the old Greyhound ride at Lakewood.

I was just thinking of another movie, too. While I haven't seen them in a while, weren't big portions of the "Smokey & the Bandit" movies shot in Atlanta? I believe some of the car chases were shot up on GA 400, and I know the big scene at the end where the roller-coaster collapses was actually the demolition of the old Greyhound ride at Lakewood.

Yes, a lot of the original movie was shot on the South side in Clayton and Fayette counties. The Jonesboro train depot played a role in "Texarkana," Mundy's Mill is where the famous bridge jump was shot, and I can still show you the pond where the bassett hound went swimming. :D

• 1 month later...

I added all but the Westview Cemetery. Thanks for the info!

I'm thinking of adding a Cemeteries section. Are there any other big cemeteries in the city limits of Atlanta aside from Westview and Oakland?

This is a great resource, Ironchapman. Greenwood Cemetery off Cascade Road is sizable. It also has a memorial to the Holocaust.

• 2 weeks later...

That's a great profile IC! :thumbsup:

One correction though, and this is recent so...

WBZY FM signal is now at 105.3 and not 96.7. 96.7 is now a latin station.

Also, 97.1 is no longer FOX, but the new "River Station" with Classic Rock.

Other than that, awesome.

That's a great profile IC! :thumbsup:

One correction though, and this is recent so...

WBZY FM signal is now at 105.3 and not 96.7. 96.7 is now a latin station.

Also, 97.1 is no longer FOX, but the new "River Station" with Classic Rock.

Other than that, awesome.

So, WBZY is now at 105.3 under the same call letters?

Thanks for the info, I'll get on it! :)

Edited by ironchapman

Hey Irony.....

I loved the Profile.

For finer hotels, don't forget the Four Seasons in Midtown, the Grand Hyatt and Intercontinental in Buckhead.

Also on the Parks worth visiting section, don't forget about Chastain Park....which is also an ampitheater.

Oh yeah...my favorite radio...90.1's call letters are WABE.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, thanks for the help again everyone. :) I've done what I can to add what you've suggested onto it.

Tonight, I added a link to the Metro Atlanta Chamber of Commerce's website, a couple of links to travel guides on Atlanta in the "Useful Atlanta Websites" section, a list of major cemeteries in Atlanta, and a couple of new events (the St. Patrick's Day and Fourth of July Parades) to the profile.

Everything I've added is marked with the word NEW!!!!

Keep me filled in. I certainly try to add anything new I find.

Edited by ironchapman

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

^^Thanks! I'll take note of that for the next time I add an update.

I have just taken out the "Useful Atlanta Threads" section and replaced it with a link to the "Atlanta Topcis Directory".

Also, I have added 97.1 The River to the radio stations list.

IC, on the Ten Tallest Skyscrapers you list the Bellsouth tower, well at&t has already put up their name and logo on top of the building. It is now the at&t Tower. But great job on this project, you said there was more to come but I had no idea it was going to be this intense and awesome, way to go. This will add quite a boost to the Atlanta Forum, once again thanks for all of the research and hard work that went into this. Your forumers greatly appreciate it!!!

Edited by kennethdisraili

• 3 months later...