Carolina Circle Mall - No groceries anymore?

mediamongrel

Ok, so with the demise of the Carolina Circle Mall, and the redevelopment of this area put on hold via Mr. Linder, and with the closing of the Winn-Dixie on Cone Blvd. (tentative date - Aug. 31) where are people who live in the 10 sq. miles around the mall area supposed to shop for groceries. It's kind of far to have to drive all the way to Battleground Ave. If someone knows of the closest grocery store other than the Winn Dixie which is going to close, please post your info.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, so with the demise of the Carolina Circle Mall, and the redevelopment of this area put on hold via Mr. Linder, and with the closing of the Winn-Dixie on Cone Blvd. (tentative date - Aug. 31) where are people who live in the 10 sq. miles around the mall area supposed to shop for groceries.  It's kind of far to have to drive all the way to Battleground Ave.  If someone knows of the closest grocery store other than the Winn Dixie which is going to close, please post your info.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ccmj1oy.th.jpg

here's a 2-mile radius map around CCM, of chain grocers. (there's also a food lion at Lees Chapel and Church which i forgot to add to this image)

Now, there IS a Save-A-Lot store near that Winn-Dixie..

And there's the weirdest shopping center ever that has a HT and Food Lion in the same strip...

Thanks for that map!

Of course I really didn't mean they'd have to drive 10 miles, but that HT/Food Lion plaza is pretty far considering a lot of the people that live near the CCM ride the bus and don't have a car. Plus I have heard there are serious doubts about how long that Harris Teeter will stay open in that area of town. The Sav-A-Lot may be the only saving grace for the people around the CCM if the Wal-Mart thing doesn't go through.

That crappy Harris Teeter at Golden Gate and High Point might do better for a while after the Winn Dixies close, but those areas aren't exactly Ht's favorite spots either. Like I have mentioned previously in some forums, Harris Teeter seems to favor the upper class clientel and usually exits all the lower to middle class neighborhoods eventually. Even though their employment philosophy tries to convey that they are "diverse," what diverse company keeps shutting down stores in all lower class areas of town? Thanks for the lesson in diversity HT!

^yes it is.

There is also a shopping center in High Point with a crappy Harris Teeter and Winn-Dixie in the same strip

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh yeah, High Point Mall! It's on Eastchester Drive, but the Winn-Dixie's been gone for some time. The replaced it with a Books-A-Million for a while, and I think that's gone now and there's something else (like a PetsMart) in its place.

What's funny is that most of the early large suburban shopping centers would have two supermarkets and a lot of them would have two drug stores and two variety stores, also. I can think of several examples like this.

^ It's funny how stores like Harris Teeter will put so much money into renovating certain stores that are in good shape (cough, Morrocroft, cough) but yet invest no money in others that need the help.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I Know!!!! You pretty much can tell by that which stores they don't care about and want to close in the future *cough*eastland*cough*

O9085142.JPG

Here's the front of the Harris Teeter Eastland store from the Mecklenburg County Tax website.

According to it the 34774 square foot store opened in 1976

eastlandharrist4li.jpg

here's a pic of the side I took last year

They haven't updated it [the logo] on Providence Commons' store either though

ProvidenceHTsm.jpg

O9085142.JPG

Here's the front of the Harris Teeter Eastland store from the Mecklenburg County Tax website.

According to it the 34774 square foot store opened in 1976

eastlandharrist4li.jpg

here's a pic of the side I took last year

They haven't updated it [the logo] on Providence Commons' store either though

ProvidenceHTsm.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If I was one of those properties' landlords, I'd be a little concerned about whether HT was going to stick around.

If I was one of those properties' landlords, I'd be a little concerned about whether HT was going to stick around.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

PT123625.JPG

Here's a better pic of the Providence Commons store.. STILL has the old Harris Teeter logo (it was built right before the switch).. but at the corner of Ballantyne Commons and Providence. There is a Harris Teeter store at Rea Village (.75 miles away)

Archived