Carolina Circle Mall - No groceries anymore?

mediamongrel

Believe it or not this store does less business than the Weddington Rd. HT or the HT at Rea Village.  I think because it is fairly hard to get to from the other side of the road during rush hours.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yeah that's true.. hard to turn from northbound providence

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of the only Zayre/Ames in NC I believe...I wish someone had pictures of it when it was a Zayre (the Quinessential 70's store)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The exterior reminds me of the early 1990s Winn Dixie Marketplace stores, but I'm sure the interior is much larger since it was previously a discount department store. Assuming the photo was taken a couple years ago, has anything in that shopping center changed (i.e. Kerr Drug relocating, Pizza Hut closing)?

Wilmington actually had an Ames for a while, located in Long Leaf Plaza located at Shipyard Blvd and College Rd. It became Ames when the company took over Hills Dept Stores. The store closed back in early 2002 I believe and is now some Furniture Liquidation store. I bought my old vcr there...it was a neat and tidy store, just kind of blah and a little more expensive then wal-hell.

Assuming the photo was taken a couple years ago, has anything in that shopping center changed (i.e. Kerr Drug relocating, Pizza Hut closing)?

Well, IIRC, there is a Big Lots just behind the Pizza Hut in that picture. I'm not sure how well that shopping center will fare after losing one of its main tennants.

One of the only Zayre/Ames in NC I believe...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually there were four other Zayre/Ames in the Triad:

1421 East Cone Blvd., Greensboro (now a Winn Dixie, soon to be Bi-Lo)

3701 High Point Rd., Greensboro (was a Lowe's Foods for a while, currently vacant)

4267 Patterson Ave., Winston-Salem (currently Flea Country USA)

2281 Cloverdale Ave., Winston-Salem (was Kroger, now Harris Teeter)

Westchester Dr., High Point (I think it's empty now)

The exterior reminds me of the early 1990s Winn Dixie Marketplace stores, but I'm sure the interior is much larger since it was previously a discount department store.  Assuming the photo was taken a couple years ago, has anything in that shopping center changed (i.e. Kerr Drug relocating, Pizza Hut closing)?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That store dates from 1994 or so. I took the photo earlier this year.

Winn-Dixie only took part of the old Zayre space. The rest is over to the right where the Fashion Town and Goodwill are. That part's been refaced, but it's still looks like an old Zayre.

I think all the major tenants are still there at that shopping center, though I haven't been out there since I took that picture.

now, when you talk about Zayre/Ames are you talking about some sort of combo store? or one or the other? my mom used to take me to the Zayre on church street in Burlington when i was a kid. Big lots is in that space now.

Before their Winn Dixie Marketplace store, did Winn Dixie have a previous store in that same shopping center? Big Lots are very common filling former Winn Dixie stores.

Once that Winn Dixie Marketplace becomes a Bi-Lo, hopefully some improvements will be in store. Exteriorly, it is time for some new paint. Interiorly, Bi-Lo will most likely put a pharmacy in. (In these type of Winn Dixie Marketplace stores, the pharmacy is located around the corner from the Customer Service Center. Stores that do not have pharmacies use this as its photo lab.) For the front end, Bi-Lo's U-scan self checkout system will go in. I know mostly all Winn Dixie/Winn Dixie Marketplace stores in upstate South Carolina and western North Carolina do not have any self checkout system.

now, when you talk about Zayre/Ames are you talking about some sort of combo store? or one or the other? my mom used to take me to the Zayre on church street in Burlington when i was a kid. Big lots is in that space now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Triad stores spent most of their lives as Zayre, from apporximately 1968 to 1989, and then Zayre was bought out by Ames, which converted the stores to its own nameplate. It didn't last long. All of the new Ames tanked and were gone by 1992.

Before their Winn Dixie Marketplace store, did Winn Dixie have a previous store in that same shopping center?

Don't count on anything Winn-Dixie or potential buyers say about stores being sold. All that is being announced is that the store has a bid and who the 1st place bidder is. Starting on July 14th, other bidders may upset that bid and there are other players/chains that could come in and outbid and current 1st place bidder(stalking horse.)

Wait until July 19th for the final outcome, the auction of the stores ends on the 18th.

Couple of the Winn Dixie's that don't have bids are kind of strange...Pineville Matthews Rd. in Charlotte doesn't have a bid.  Also the Stallings location doesn't have one.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I admit the McCullen Creek Market store is in a very nice shppoing center,, but it has some drawbacks. First, the store does not have a pharmacy. Many supermarkets are consciencous about their pharmacies. Second, it appears to be more of a lifestyle center rather than your traditional market. I know there's a Bi-Lo not far away near 485. Is there a Food Lion and/or a Harris Teeter nearby?

Whew, all this change in this area is overwhelming me. I used to eat at the old Golden Corral, now a night club, shop at K-mart, the old Big Lots adjacent to it, Carolina Circle Mall, Service Merchandise. Now ccm, service merchandise, k-mart, and the golden corral are gone and winn dixie is leaving. The only good place still around is the Pizza Hut. That's my favorite pizza hut because of the memories. Good times in that area.

There's a lot of the things that I associated with Greensboro growing up disappearing:

Carolina Circle Mall: gone but not forgotten...yet

Blumenthal's: almost gone

Sears catalog plant: bulldozed years ago.

The Channel 48 Fun Club: where are Billy Bob and Junior Prankster when you need them?

Cheap Joe's and Blue Bell Factory Outlet: totally gone.

Leisure Living Show: bought out and replaced with generic home shows in the spring and fall.

The old WFMY-TV logo with that funky "2": replaced.

At least Sandra Hughes is still around. I've been seeing her on TV forever it seems. She used to host this public affairs show called "Sandra & Friends" and then "PM Magazine" before she became a news anchor. We used to be able to get Channel 2 almost as well as our local CBS affiliate.

I know everything must change, but I still miss that stuff.

Couple of the Winn Dixie's that don't have bids are kind of strange...Pineville Matthews Rd. in Charlotte doesn't have a bid.  Also the Stallings location doesn't have one.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's not strange that the one in Stallings doesn't have a bid. However, I would have betted money that Lowes Foods would buy the one in McMullen Creek, it would seem like a perfect location for them.

Isn't there like an abandoned Wal Mart near the Mcmullen Creek store? Maybe they're all afraid to bid because the Wal Mart that's just sitting there is an eye sore, and whoever bought that Winn-Dixie would probably want to knock down that Wal Mart.

That part of Rt. 51 isn't really a good market for HT or Lowes. When 51 gets closer to Park Rd. and Johnston Rd. the area gets sort of old and run down, before it gets better again towards the Pineville hosptial and Carolina place.

Archived