Carolina Circle Mall - No groceries anymore?

mediamongrel

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If anyone is interested, tomorrow's the deadline to submit bids to buy Winn Dixie and Winn Dixie Marketplace stores in North Carolina. High bidders for prospective stores being bought will be announced Tuesday. Stores without bidders will permenantly cease operations no later than the end of August.

If anyone is interested, tomorrow's the deadline to submit bids to buy Winn Dixie and Winn Dixie Marketplace stores in North Carolina.  High bidders for prospective stores being bought will be announced Tuesday.  Stores without bidders will permenantly cease operations no later than the end of August.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The vendors pull out of the ones without bids on Aug 26

We'll see if it gives it a boost.  Most of the jobs in a Wal Mart (70-80%) probably pay below $20,000 a year, so I don't see an economic boost.  Though maybe some other businesses will take off.  Who knows.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

For those without jobs, even a low paying job is better than none at all. Many use walmart (including my family) to suppliment other jobs. I see the economic boost in that folks from that side of town will not have to travel as far for a walmart which has become "the" place to go if you really want to save money anymore for the most part. It is within walking distance (though dangerous walking at that) for many...and is/was (might be again if not at this moment) a part of the bus route. The area that surrounds it are mostly blue collar workers that would appreciate having a walmart nearby greatly. Before this year the closest walmart for them meant driving 20 minutes to the north side of Battleground, or to Wendover..or to Burlington. Along with Walmart will come other businesses which will pump money into that side of town as well as jobs. Hopefully it also will mean that some of the roads and city structure will finally get some long overdue fixing. We are talking about taking an area that has not had any economic boost in years...so any boost is better than nothing. I grew up in this area-less than five mins from CCM-My mother still lives in this area. I really hope it has a revitalization...even if it means a major face lift in the removal of the old vacant mall and surrounding buildings.

• 4 months later...

Yeah. The Winn-Dixies in the area that are still vacant:

-Cone Blvd's Winn Dixie Marketplace Store

-High Point Mall (but there's a Harris Teeter in the same shopping center)

-Forest Oaks (desperately need a grocer out there)

And the Winn Dixie at New Garden/Bryan Blvd is going to become Harris Teeter in February.

But yeah, all the Bi-Lo's in the area are SFM now. I don't know if i can see anyone coming to fill the WD on Cone, unfortunately. Especially with the knowledge that Wal-Mart will be down the street

Archived