Dickey-Stephens Park

Should a new stadium be constructed in War Memorial Park or by the Broadyway Bridge in North Little Rock's downtown?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Should a new stadium be constructed in War Memorial Park or by the Broadyway Bridge in North Little Rock's downtown?

• Downtown (NLR)
    • Midtown (LR)

Thanks for the pic skirby. Tha's going to be a great location for the ballpark. I can just imagine the views from there. :D

The views will be great on a clear day. When it opens the 300Third Tower will have been completed or close to it. Maybe another building in LR will be under construction to look at.

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know, from a location standpoint, this is a good site on the river across from the LR skyline. However, I've never really liked the view of the LR skyline from that vantage point - and anywhere along the Broadway street axis. First, it's too close to the skyline to get a really good, overall view such that you find from the entrance canopy of Alltel Arena. Second, and more importantly, the two tallest buildings in LR are aligned in a north-south axis staight down the first base line, the shorter one (which is closer) obscuring the taller one.

In other words the "meat" of the skyline is off to your right, and not really aligned with the home-plate to pitcher mound center view. However, it will really highlight the muscular skyline evolving in the River Market District. More mid-rise to high-rise towers are sure to follow.

Good to see construction is moving on this project as well. Of course, it will be more than a year until we see a finished product.

I hope this finished product is as unique and appealing as the project was supposed to be. I can't tell much from that sign or the sketch skirby showed but I fear it may be a bit watered down and the railroad theme they were hoping for might be lost. I think that would be a mistake.

I hope this finished product is as unique and appealing as the project was supposed to be. I can't tell much from that sign or the sketch skirby showed but I fear it may be a bit watered down and the railroad theme they were hoping for might be lost. I think that would be a mistake.

The picture is a drive by. Next time I will park and take a better shot. I use a Firefox extension when I look at images. You can zoom up to 150% without too many problems with the image. The sign shows the last image of the park I posted. I never thought much about the railroad theme. The park is going in what was an old industrial area. At one time there were brick warehouse type buildings beneath the Broadway Bridge. Maybe they should have used an industrial theme.

The picture is a drive by. Next time I will park and take a better shot. I use a Firefox extension when I look at images. You can zoom up to 150% without too many problems with the image. The sign shows the last image of the park I posted. I never thought much about the railroad theme. The park is going in what was an old industrial area. At one time there were brick warehouse type buildings beneath the Broadway Bridge. Maybe they should have used an industrial theme.

I think there's an overlap between the railroads and early 1900s industrial themes, as you see in the remaining older buildings of the River Market District where were along rail spurs in their heyday.

As far as HKS, they also designed Whataburger Field in Corpus Christi and Dr Pepper/7-Up Park in Frisco - the latter being the Texas League's most appealing park.

• 2 weeks later...

The hole just keeps getting deeper and deeper.

dscf24472um.jpg

Because of the way the park was designed further drainage work was required at a cost of $1 million. The ballpark is now $5 million over budget. There also might be a problem with opening day. The deadline for ordering the steel is this week in order to meet the construction deadline of April 2007. The NLR Mayor is now saying that further cuts to the project might be called for. Will the park go from first class to no class?

The price has gone from $30 million in January to $33 now.

Because of the way the park was designed further drainage work was required at a cost of $1 million. The ballpark is now $5 million over budget. There also might be a problem with opening day. The deadline for ordering the steel is this week in order to meet the construction deadline of April 2007. The NLR Mayor is now saying that further cuts to the project might be called for. Will the park go from first class to no class?

The price has gone from $30 million in January to $33 now.

After a behind closed door meeting a way to work around the problem of rising cost has been announced. Revenue from the use of the ballpark will go to pay of the increased cost. A first class park is still being talked about. One thing interesting is that construction has started but final plans are still being worked on. The orginal cost was estimated from drawings not plans.

Archived