Dickey-Stephens Park

Should a new stadium be constructed in War Memorial Park or by the Broadyway Bridge in North Little Rock's downtown?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Should a new stadium be constructed in War Memorial Park or by the Broadyway Bridge in North Little Rock's downtown?

• Downtown (NLR)
    • Midtown (LR)

The county should throw in a few bucks. Maybe if things really are bad then Stephens will throw in a few bills to make up the difference or another corporate sponsor will chip in.

I can't imagine the Stephens family will want their name on something that isn't first class.

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If they drop the ball on this stadium it wold be a shame for NLR residents, who basically voted for a Grade A stadium and may get your average everday stadium. Politics... -_-

Well blow me over, according to an article in today's Arkansas Democrat Gazette, NLR city officials have decided not to sacrifice the integrity of the concept and the quality of the architecture, and are pushing ahead to fund the project as originally envisioned - which also ensures the original planned opening date for summer of '07. How refreshing, as the typical Arkansas response is to emasculate the project, which is more-or-less what happened to Alltel Arena.

What happened with Alltel? Were there as many problems getting it built as this ballpark?

No, its just typical "Arkansas" that they arbitrarily picked 12 months as the tax period and said "build a 20,000 seat arena for $70M" rather than actually asking someone how much a 20,000 seat arena should cost. The project was built within budget, but the end product shows. Lots of corners had to be cut to build it that inexpensively. The finishes are sub-par. The interior walls of the arena seating area proper are unfinished (look at the NE end of the arena in the location where there is no upper deck - no wall finish). The exterior metal panels at the upper roof aren't as nice as those on my grandpa's barn, etc. I have a nicer floor in my bathroom than does the main concourse, etc.

As an example, the relatively new arena in Des Moines, a similar sized market (actuall smaller) is WORLDS nicer than Alltel, as is the Ford Center in OKC, etc.

No, its just typical "Arkansas" that they arbitrarily picked 12 months as the tax period and said "build a 20,000 seat arena for $70M" rather than actually asking someone how much a 20,000 seat arena should cost. The project was built within budget, but the end product shows. Lots of corners had to be cut to build it that inexpensively. The finishes are sub-par. The interior walls of the arena seating area proper are unfinished (look at the NE end of the arena in the location where there is no upper deck - no wall finish). The exterior metal panels at the upper roof aren't as nice as those on my grandpa's barn, etc. I have a nicer floor in my bathroom than does the main concourse, etc.

As an example, the relatively new arena in Des Moines, a similar sized market (actuall smaller) is WORLDS nicer than Alltel, as is the Ford Center in OKC, etc.

You show your ignorance when you make comments like "typical Arkansas."

Alltel serves its purpose well. I couldn't justify, and I don't know how you could either, an elaborate arena for the Rimrockers and a concert once every two weeks.

You show your ignorance when you make comments like "typical Arkansas."

Alltel serves its purpose well. I couldn't justify, and I don't know how you could either, an elaborate arena for the Rimrockers and a concert once every two weeks.

I am an Arkansan, so I believe I'm as qualified as they come. I also worked on the project, and I don't imagine you did. To clarify, I didn't say elaborate. I just said competitive to arenas in similar markets. Why should Little Rock be any different?

And to show YOUR ignorance, Alltel was ranked in the top 15 arenas in the country in its third year in TOTAL attendance nation-wide. So, how bout them apples?

I am an Arkansan, so I believe I'm as qualified as they come. I also worked on the project, and I don't imagine you did. To clarify, I didn't say elaborate. I just said competitive to arenas in similar markets. Why should Little Rock be any different?

And to show YOUR ignorance, Alltel was ranked in the top 15 arenas in the country in its third year in TOTAL attendance nation-wide. So, how bout them apples?

Alltel also gets plenty of money concerts, which is why they drove hockey out of the arena. They don't make as much on ECHL hockey as they do three nights of the Wiggles followed by the Dixie Chicks on the weekend.

You can continue to make stupid comments like you made; but it's the only reason this state is viewed as it is. People with inferiority complexes that feel necessary to dismiss "poor little Arkansas" as the worst thing ever really piss me off. If it's so bad, move to Oklahoma.

How does that show my ignorance? Looks like it makes my point for me. Alltel serves its purpose well. I have not heard one person beotch about it's appearance, excepting you. It looks like any other arena as you drive by, and the inside is certainly adequate.

Considering you were the same guy griping about RRS, I wouldn't put much stock in what you think about sporting/concert venues anyway.

Listen, I was making a factual observation about the unfortunate cost-cutting efforts at Alltel Arena in the hopes that this doesn't happen to Stephens Ballpark. Why you turned this into some personal criticism is beyond me.

It is "adequate" (and I'm glad you think it is fine), but I think that with respect to MAJOR public projects such as this, some level beyond "adequate" should be expected by the taxpayer - it says something about our community. I can assure you that the finishes are as basic as they come, and that they are not commensurate with those at peer facilities. That was my only point.

Don't question my love for Arkansas. Perhaps that's why I expect more, and not "adequate." You and I both know (and this isn't necessarily exclusive to our state) that too many things in this state such as education, public health, etc. get marginalized by generally low expectations. Trust me when I say the finishes on an arena are about as insignificant as it gets, but the whole process was just a symptom of that cycle.

As my mom always said, "If you do what you did, you get what you got." It's time - with respect to many things - that we quit "doing what we did."

Cheers

Listen, I was making a factual observation about the unfortunate cost-cutting efforts at Alltel Arena in the hopes that this doesn't happen to Stephens Ballpark. Why you turned this into some personal criticism is beyond me.

It is "adequate" (and I'm glad you think it is fine), but I think that with respect to MAJOR public projects such as this, some level beyond "adequate" should be expected by the taxpayer - it says something about our community. I can assure you that the finishes are as basic as they come, and that they are not commensurate with those at peer facilities. That was my only point.

Don't question my love for Arkansas. Perhaps that's why I expect more, and not "adequate." You and I both know (and this isn't necessarily exclusive to our state) that too many things in this state such as education, public health, etc. get marginalized by generally low expectations. Trust me when I say the finishes on an arena are about as insignificant as it gets, but the whole process was just a symptom of that cycle.

As my mom always said, "If you do what you did, you get what you got." It's time - with respect to many things - that we quit "doing what we did."

Cheers

I apologize for "making it personal." However, if we were having this conversation in person, I am convinced that through body language/expression that no toes would have been stepped on. I wasn't intending to insult anyone - I just need to pick my expresions more carefully. I apologize.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, and I'm glad you care enough to have one. I prefer your mindset over the majority of people's.

I apologize for "making it personal." However, if we were having this conversation in person, I am convinced that through body language/expression that no toes would have been stepped on. I wasn't intending to insult anyone - I just need to pick my expresions more carefully. I apologize.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, and I'm glad you care enough to have one. I prefer your mindset over the majority of people's.

Hey, no need to Apologize! :) I appreciate your candor. And you are right, its hard to have a "real" discussion through the internet. I am glad we are both passionate about urban issues and Little Rock in general. That's what's important.

• 4 weeks later...

Bill Valentine has released seating numbers for the new park. All prices are for adult tickets. No price given on box seats.

1064 fixed seats at general admission prices $6.00

1062 box seats. No price given. They expect all box seats to be sold in advance.

342 bleachers $6.00. The bleachers will have a beer garden behind them selling four or five draft beers.

2,385 reserved $8.00

312 suite outside seats

5,165 total fixed seats

1,500 berm, picnic seating $6.00

Total 6,665

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Some comments about the new stadium by Travelers GM Bill Valentine in June on travelerocity.com:

In Dickey-Stephens Park the grandstand will only be eighteen rows deep and that is including the box seats... The box seats are only seven rows deep. We are the only team in baseball building a new park and retaining bleachers.....we have to move them from third base to first base and they will be a little farther down the line... that is because behind the bleachers will be a draft beer concession selling at least four different draft beers...(we are shooting for five) ...beer prices remain the same as they are at Ray Winder and we have not established a price for the draft beer and will come in two sizes...(maybe three)...

if we can hold costs we have no intentions in raising the price of our concessions...maybe 25 cents here and there to cover new costs....general admdission $6...kids 14 and under 3.00..active armed services $5.....box seats will be $10...and since we will only have 1253 there will probably not be any for sale on game days....we will also have a reserved seat for $8.00...$4.00 kids..$7 armed ...all seating..including general admission will be reserved by section, row and seat....

The bleachers will seat 342 and will have a "running" back to lean on...we will only sell adult $6.00 tickets for the bleachers since it will be the only smoking section in the park...we will have a small concession line in the draft beer concession behind the bleachers....we will have two grass berms ..one above leftfield and one above rightfield..in rightfield we will have a concession stand selling peanuts, popcorn, soft drinks, candy and hot dogs ....probably will not sell beer...

In the main lobby we will have four concession stands....two will sell soft drinks...peanuts, popcorn, hot dogs and candy.....one will sell ice cream, icy, nachos and more upscale hot dogs, sauage, pizza, etc....the other will be a can beer stand like we currenly have....we also expect to have a franchise deli section of sandwiches...with plain and sweet tea ( have to have that in the south)...and a couple of other free standing concession...(maybe funnel cakes, lemonade...maybe mexican)

That about completes the lineup for food...we are told by others in new minor league ball parks...is that most fans want "ball park" food when they come out....you can add all the fancy foods but "ball park" food out sells it 10 to l.....

we will have a souvenir stand opening to the lobby as we now do....but we will also have a walk in souvenir area will a lot more wearable items, fitted caps...etc...also a traveler museum..with all the things and pictures we currently have in the office on display along with maybe a Ray Winder seat, old 1940 travs uniforms, etc....we will more than triple the size of the restrooms..and also have one small men/womens in berm area....

the city is planning on spending 300,000 to 400,000 to create an eleven acre parking lot west of the bridge...they want to get this money back over time...so for this lot..(which will also be parking for box seats holders and sky box holders)..will have a fee...maybe 3.00 or 4.00...BUT REMEMEBER...no one has to park on this lot!!!...just like Alltel there is a lot of other parking around the ball park including the bank parking lots on main street which is only two blocks away (closer than war memorial to ray winder)....

the bullpens will be end to end at field level just behind the outside fence in rightfield...this is going to result in a very interesting outfield fence...conside Fenway Park and their rightffield bullpens!...left

field will be a padded eight feet concrete wall with the berms on top.... rightfield berms will be over the bullpens...picnic area will be along the outfield at the foul line in rightfield....message center in left center with maybe the largest screen of any minor league park....(thanks to warren stephens and pat hays)...the outside of the park will be all brick and look like the train station in Little Rock.........you will be able to walk all the ways around the park.....

Archived