LNG Proposals

Recchia

How real are people's fears about locating LNG terminals near populated areas? Is this just a case of hysteria or are there really legitimate concerns?

fears are of course real, legitimate is another matter. Any time you locate something like this anywhere near people there is going to be a fear. My understanding is that people are afraid of terror attacks more than anything. I have not really gotten up to speed on all the reasons why it shouldn't be in anyone's back yard, as i've was concentrating on trying to get FERC to look at it regionally and not piecemeal...so i don't really know...maybe someone who has been working from that side of the matter can weigh in and educate us...?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

fears are of course real, legitimate is another matter. Any time you locate something like this anywhere near people there is going to be a fear. My understanding is that people are afraid of terror attacks more than anything. I have not really gotten up to speed on all the reasons why it shouldn't be in anyone's back yard, as i've was concentrating on trying to get FERC to look at it regionally and not piecemeal...so i don't really know...maybe someone who has been working from that side of the matter can weigh in and educate us...?

The Aquidneck Island Planning Commission has reports on the traffic impacts of closing the Newport/Pell and Mount Hope Bridges. They also have a report on the tankers' impacts on the tourism and (more directly) marine industries, as well as on the security risk that is created with LNG tankers going past the Navy's research and educational facitilies. Then there is Richard Clarke's security risk report to Patrick Lynch.

LNG has me most concerned not about terrorism, but the impacts on closing down Narragansett Bay unexpectedly. Major regattas (which have huge economic impacts in Newport) are less likely to come here if the Harbor is shut down without notice.

These reports are full of the numbers and maps that are all too often drowned out in news reports.

For those who have the stomach for government reports in PDF form...

AIPC LNG Impact Studies

Richard Clarke's report to Attorney General Patrick Lynch (Large PDF)

LNG has me most concerned not about terrorism, but the impacts on closing down Narragansett Bay unexpectedly.

That's my concern as well, also an accident at the plant seems far more likely than a terrorist attack. You'll often hear reports of overturned rail cars or refinery fires prompting the evacuation of everyone within one mile. How do you evacuate everyone within a mile of the Port of Providence or Weavers Cove if their is an accident? Especially, post-Katrina, we've seen that no appears to be prepared to evacuate those of us without cars. And where do we all go for days and weeks until it is safe to return, and what happens to the state's economy while it's key city is crippled?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived