Eminent Domain and Providence

TheAnk

• 5 weeks later...

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had never really heard of eminent domain being used by a city to get rid of slum houses.

Not sure what I think about this yet...

A few good examples include: Government Center in Boston, Radio Row in NYC, Cabrini (sp?) Greens in Chicago, the entire city of Hartford, our own famous Cathedral Squre in Providence, etc., etc., etc.

It's been done a million times with the exact same disasterous results.

The city of Pawtucket should certainly not be condemning the homes of people like Ms. Ramirez, regardless of the current condition of her property. Just the opposite, the city should have programs in place to help people like Ms. Ramirez secure funding and find reputable contractors. Ms. Ramirez is exactly the kind of person Pawtucket needs to encourage to take ownership of properties, not attending city council meetings to save her investment.

Detroit would be another city to add to the list of cities that remove blight through ED.

Providence's proposed TIF includes the taking of property via eminent domain, including both commercial and residential properties.

Not all eminent domain takings need to end in demolition such as we saw in Boston's West End or Government Center, Providence's Cathedral Square, or NYC's World Trade Center. I would hope that ED through Providence's TIF would be used sparingly to accumulate vacant lots for redevelopment or to force recalcitrant owners to renovate historic structures. Not for the demolition of existing structures.

The city of Pawtucket should certainly not be condemning the homes of people like Ms. Ramirez, regardless of the current condition of her property. Just the opposite, the city should have programs in place to help people like Ms. Ramirez secure funding and find reputable contractors. Ms. Ramirez is exactly the kind of person Pawtucket needs to encourage to take ownership of properties, not attending city council meetings to save her investment.

I think you are misreading this a little bit. Ms. Ramirez does not live here, thus it is not her home. In fact, it is quite possible that she was a shill buyer for someone behind the scenes, since the guy she bought it from only owned if for 3 hours! It also said she bought 3 properties at the same time. This happens all over the place with these types of properties and potential slumlords, and it continually keeps these properties and the neighborhoods in bad shape. I've been dealing with a couple in particular in almost the exact same situations.

I for one am not buying her sob story at all, particularly when you look at the few facts that are actually reported in the story.

And its true that eminent domain has been used for disastrous urban renewal in the past, but it has been used in thousands of more recent cases as neighborhood BUILDERS, not destroyers.

Now, the TIF is a whole other topic...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived