Nashville Music Venues

writenow

Hi, I'm researching a screenplay about young songwriters hitting Nashville and would really appreciate some local information.

Is there one major showcase (or several) where hopefuls go to play there stuff?. (Something similar to the cafe in "The Thing Called Love" or a extremely prestigious open mike location)

I realize "Grand Ol Opry" is a radio show, but is it also a venue? Or a series of concerts that somebody could appear at?

Is there a prestigious venue where the audience sits at tables (or better yet, booths)?

Or is there a likely place where a very hot new act from out of town would appear on their first big splash in Nashville?

Thanks a lot for any help with this. I promise I'll get your name in the credit, make you a star and let you sleep with the producer.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GOO? Is it a venue?

I'm "almost" done here.

writenow, I commend your desire to do a project, but am amazed at your lack of basic knowledge. Libraries and websites will give you tens of thousands of pieces of information from worldwide writers about this local phenomenon. I suggest you start there. Good luck. And then when you're ready, visit us. Most all the other writers spend time here. I could expect nothing less from your project to garner legitimacy.

You've been watching American Idol haven't you.

There are many venues in Nashville. Many of them are downtown on broadway. Most of the places that have live acts do'nt pay anything and the groups are playing for tips only. Many of the bands in Nashville have to go somewhere else, ie, Austin, Indianapolis, or any other place besides here to get discovered or to make money. The best thing I think a person could do is something like Nashville Star otherwise it takes years for "most" people to break into the industry, if ever. I have several friends that are pursuing being discovered, but they have the job that puts food on the table. I'm not saying I know a lot about this, but some of my friends do. Its like anything else, its who you know and how unique a person is.

The cafe in The Thing Called Love is actually a real place- The Bluebird Cafe. There are alot of venues for that stuff, such as The Sutler,New Orleans Cafe, Hair of the Dog , Douglas Corner, etc... But it is better to look through online sources than on this forum for those types of topics. Try Myspace.com and look for musicians in Nashville.

Archived