West Tallahassee Undergoing Changes?

seminole

As per the city's Planning Department's website, there are a number of major developments on the drawing board for the areas West of the Capital Circle NW and Tennessee Street intersection. I actually got a chance to tour the new Crescent Hills subdivision (last weekend) located at the far west end of Tharpe Street and was quite impressed with its progress.

Other developments include a condominium complex (Hamilton Mill) on West Tennessee west of Barineau Road and new townhouses west of the aforementioned condominium complex. It will be great to see new construction somewhere other than east Tallahassee. :)

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree Seminole it will be good to see some construction other than the east side. I will have to go check out Crescent Hills I never knew it existed. Our heard there is suppose to be another development on the westside. I think it is called summerfield.

Other Major Projects Slated for W. Tallahassee include:

Shoppes At Appleyard

DISC Village

Jackson Bluff Village Townhomes and Apartments

Perkins Commercial Park

Covington Creek

Jordan's Pass

Quail Ridge

Barineau Road Subdivision

Value Price Hotel

Hamilton Mill

Relocation of Legacy Toyota

University Green

Mission Overlook

Pecan Road Townhouses and Apartments

Chase's Run

Highland Park

Country Inns and Suites

Summer Lake

Hartsfield Place

Hartsfield Hills

Holidy Inn Hotel and Suites Hwy 27 North

SummerChase

Summerfield

Russell Bevis Subdivision

We can take them one at a time... but there are plenty of projects on the west side to talk about.

Speaking of West Side development talks of the Northwest Park are still in progress. The City is considering the sale of its property that was marked for development of the park. Residents have come out against the city's propsed sale, and I now side with the residents against the plan to sell the park property to a private developer. I think the Park would best be suited for this property and it was promised to the community. This side of town currently has no recreational space, and Levy Park is over used, more space is needed and this would make a prime location.

Yea I feel we are in a dire need of a new park in this area. I don't know why the city won't go ahead into making the Northwest Park. I also don't think Astoria Park, the neighborhoods on Hartsfield, Hunington woods, Settlers springs and creek, and Lakewood wouldn't like that idea of driving all the way to Levy Park or Messer. And the Canaopy Oaks park that the city is trying to bribe residents into using is just not cutting it.

I totally agree. This area needs a Jack McClain (spelling might be off) size park with similar amenities. But the county could pitch in a little. The city shouldn't be left to shoulder this burden alone, especially since this area lies on the frenge of City/County boundary and would probably be used by more county residents than city.

^Another good point. There are many, many working-class families in that area. They are many of those keeping the power, the busses, the phones, the cable, the retail stores, and the government running in this city. I think the NW more than any other quadrant of this city has the most, wholesome workers per capita.

Yall read this article please: http://www.tallahassee.com/mld/tallahassee...al/12018946.htm

It's wrong to what the city is trying to do. That area of town is in despertate need of a park, and to violate a contract and trust of these people who hope for this NW Park is totally unacceptable. In the original contract for sale between Cavanagh and the city, a sentence states: "The City intends to obtain title to the property for use by the general public for active and passive park purposes." The funny thing to me is that the city came to Cavanagh(the people who sold the property to the city) with this offer of a new park when the property wasn't even on market! Hopefully the city will go ahead and create this park.

An update from the previous post: Now the city is thinking about the park. The city would like for the county to help pay for the Northwest Park that being one of the options or having more neighborhoods in leon county join the city so that their tax money can contribute to city coffers. http://www.tallahassee.com/mld/tallahassee/12025871.htm

As for me I think like the option of the neighborhoods being annexed to the city. I think the city is trying hard to not let this park be developed. They know some of these neighborhoods would not like to be annexed, and they know the county has no plans to spend money for this park.

Can you blame the city? They are about to pour a few million into building this park for that community, the least they can ask is for the county to chip in since the majority of these park users will be county residents. Either that or help the city push to annex, but the funds need to be coming back in somehow.

i think that the county should offer thier help.. i think that with tallahassee being the one city leon has to worry about, teh county should do as much as it can to help make things in that relationship stronger. this is an awsome oppertunity for the county and city to reaffirm thier relationship. i dont really see them arguing about this too much. in saying that, i believe also that the county is more likely to contribute rather than lose those residence to the city.

^Absolutely. Although I am a strict proponent of CONSOLIDATION for Leon and Tallahassee ( I believe it makes no since to have one city inside one county and pay dual taxes and have services duplicated with two visions for nearly eveything) they should come together on this park deal, or the city should bring the area surrounding the park into the city limits, or seek voluntary annexation.

• 9 months later...

A quick drive down West Tennessee Street this afternoon revealed to me the great number of developments going on in Tallahassee's West side. Here's a look at a few things I saw:

SonyShots245.jpg

It appears we're getting a new Super Suds on this site!

SonyShots243.jpg

SonyShots244.jpg

DSCF2081.jpg

Another Big Time College Apartment Community

SonyShots249.jpg

Going Under the Train Tracks

SonyShots247.jpg

SonyShots248.jpg

Expect to see a New Toyota and/orLexus Dealership on this newly cleared piece of property!

SonyShots250.jpg

The New Tallahassee Dodge Chrystler Jeep Dealership still going up

SonyShots230.jpg

SonyShots233.jpg

SonyShots234.jpg

Not quite sure what this one is, but it looks like a Krispy Kreme to me!! I'm not sure though!!!

SonyShots234.jpg

Not quite sure what this one is, but it looks like a Krispy Kreme to me!! I'm not sure though!!!

That would be the new Applebees that will replace the one diagionally across from that location when it is knocked down to widen Capital Circle. There's signs up now saying that is what it is.

As always TJ, great pix! I just drove past all that this weekend on my way out of town. Glad to see they are finally finishing the repaving of W. Tenn.!

Questions: So where is this Applebee's? On Tenn. or Cap. Circle? I know that Steak and Shake is moving closer to Tharpe on CC. So that big cleared area just east of the Wally-mart is going to be a Lexus/Toyota dealership? Will they move out their current location? The new student apt complex is called West 10...why? Looks like it would be called West 90. Is U.S. 90 also numbered in the State system as State Rd. 10? (Like in South FL where 441 is also called SR 7) Funny if it is, I've never heard it referred to as SR 10 here.

I like the idea of putting the mega student housing on W. Tenn. The road can handle the traffic and the impact on neighborhoods is less. I think all the mobile home and car dealerships (except maybe Proctor Honda) should move at least west of Appleyard and that area should be used for student housing. Of course I also think that car dealerships should be confined in town to just one or maybe two spots only. I don't like the new trend of them popping up all over town.

As always TJ, great pix! I just drove past all that this weekend on my way out of town. Glad to see they are finally finishing the repaving of W. Tenn.!

Thank You! It was a pleasure.

Questions: So where is this Applebee's? On Tenn. or Cap. Circle? I know that Steak and Shake is moving closer to Tharpe on CC. So that big cleared area just east of the Wally-mart is going to be a Lexus/Toyota dealership? Will they move out their current location? The new student apt complex is called West 10...why? Looks like it would be called West 90. Is U.S. 90 also numbered in the State system as State Rd. 10? (Like in South FL where 441 is also called SR 7) Funny if it is, I've never heard it referred to as SR 10 here.

Maybe they're trying to be Hip and Trendy and call it West 10essee!! Just my guess. And I agree with you on allowing more student housing along Tennessee Street in a similar fashion to replace the mobile home lots, and some of the more run-down car dealerships.

To add to your wanting to keep Honda where it is, I think Saturn and Ford have good presence in that location as well.

I like the idea of putting the mega student housing on W. Tenn. The road can handle the traffic and the impact on neighborhoods is less. I think all the mobile home and car dealerships (except maybe Proctor Honda) should move at least west of Appleyard and that area should be used for student housing. Of course I also think that car dealerships should be confined in town to just one or maybe two spots only. I don't like the new trend of them popping up all over town.

I don't much care for the trend I see of car dealerships popping up all over town either, but when you look at it, its not so much they are popping up in random locations, Tallahassee, in growing, now requires two dealerships of certain brands. Proctor started the Eastern Movement with its renovation of its East Mahan Superstore, Prestige has been in the area a while, Chevy built its Tajmahal, then Nissan. There's even been a Land Rover / Jaguar Store proposal for the same general area, but I don't imagine we'll see much of that anytime soon.

TOYOTA has been planning its new location for quite some time now. It is my thought that they will build a new Toyota-Scion Store across the street from its current location, and renovate the existing TOYOTA store, making it into a Lexus Dealership with Acura and Capital Eurocars as neighbors on that side of the street. Just my thought, no concrete knowledge to back that up with.

Mazda plans to stay on the West side of town. The initial rumor was that they would build a store on Capital Circle near the interstate but looks like they are going to go with a West Tennessee Street Location now also. I'm hoping competition from Mazda and Toyota on that side of the street will help to improve the look of dealerships like Subaru and Suzuki, Hyundai, and Premier.

The new Applebees is on the SW corner of Tennessee and Capital Circle according to Psycuda. To me it looked like a Crispy Creme, :lol:!

The "10" part probably was derived from "Tenn" as in Tennessee Street. "West Tenn" - get it?

Never in my life have I heard it called "State Road 10". You won't even find any shields for it! :lol: At least you can find both SR 7 and US 441 shields.

Archived