West Tallahassee Undergoing Changes?

seminole

The new Applebees is now open on the Southwest side of the intersection of Tennessee and Capital Circle.

Everyone was making such a big fuss about that place on the radio. I mean, it's not a new restaurant per-se, it just moved across the street! I think it's a sad state of things in this town if people make such a big fuss about a restaurant moving across the street :P

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everyone was making such a big fuss about that place on the radio. I mean, it's not a new restaurant per-se, it just moved across the street! I think it's a sad state of things in this town if people make such a big fuss about a restaurant moving across the street :P

This could very well apply also to the Publix that was just built at Park and Blairstone.....it's just our 10th or 11th Publix Tally(and not the nicest one in town)...... so what's the big deal?

This could very well apply also to the Publix that was just built at Park and Blairstone.....it's just our 10th or 11th Publix Tally(and not the nicest one in town)...... so what's the big deal?

It's just a newer building, so it gives the parent company something to hype and bring people in for a look hoping that they might come back for the food (in Applebee's case.)

• 2 weeks later...

BTW has anyone be through that huge housing development they are building in Midway? I've only seen it from I-10, but it goes on for at least a mile. Also I'm not a fan of the name Midway (yeah I know it's located midway between Tally and Quincy,) I wish before their town grows too much (they are projected in 10 years to be the largest city in Gadsden) that they'd rename it. Any ideas for a new city name?

Poother, I added my response to your above question under this thread because Midway is rapidly becoming a part of West Tallahassee.

I do travel to Midway about once every two months or so to the new Hilltop subdivision. It's a growing area and it's sort of removed from Hwy 90 so its not seen from the U.S. 90. I don't believe it can be seen from the I-10 corridor either, so you may have discovered a new subdivision - something that I haven't seen.

However, as you pointed out, there is quite a bit of construction which can be seen from I-10. But I just assumed that the construction was attributed to some to the companies which are relocating from Leon County to Midway in search of larger acreages and better access to I-10. Some to those companies include Ring Power (which is a very large company), T-Formation, Tri-Eagle, Frito-Lay, Kaufman Tire Company, as well as some others. The 10/90 park is really taking off.

Now I am really excited and must revisit this area soon.

^ Man oh man Seminole, TJ is just gonna love you b/c you cut and pasted this discussion from the FSU thread to this one which seems to be the appropriate place. Good job! :)

I didn't know that the residential subdivision in Midway was called Hilltop (is that a Russell development?,) but you can definitely see it from I-10 when you are heading east. It's on the right-hand side (south) about a mile or less before the County road 159 or is that 158 overpass. You can't see it from west bound lanes because the median has trees in it. It's not as easy to see as the industrial stuff on the north side, but you can see it especially if you aren't driving.

I glad to see all the growth out there even if some of it comes at Leon's expense. We are all one big region and that type of development just makes us look more metropolitan. Besides the Midway area is just as close to downtown Tally as say Chaires or the Baum road areas in Leon County are. I feel this is only a natural progression.

^ Man oh man Seminole, TJ is just gonna love you b/c you cut and pasted this discussion from the FSU thread to this one which seems to be the appropriate place. Good job! :)

I didn't know that the residential subdivision in Midway was called Hilltop (is that a Russell development?,) but you can definitely see it from I-10 when you are heading east. It's on the right-hand side (south) about a mile or less before the County road 159 or is that 158 overpass. You can't see it from west bound lanes because the median has trees in it. It's not as easy to see as the industrial stuff on the north side, but you can see it especially if you aren't driving.

I glad to see all the growth out there even if some of it comes at Leon's expense. We are all one big region and that type of development just makes us look more metropolitan. Besides the Midway area is just as close to downtown Tally as say Chaires or the Baum road areas in Leon County are. I feel this is only a natural progression.

Poonther I think Hilltop (I think that's the correct name) maybe a smaller segment of a larger subdivision called Rustling Pines. Or the whole area maybe a conglomeration of smaller subdivisions - I'm just not sure. Anyway, I have to do some more exploring.

You have really enlighten me because usually when I'm traveling I-10 in that area, it's in a westward direction which explains why I haven't seen it from the interstate.

We may actually be writing about the same subdivision because I'm not aware of any others in this area.

Poonther you're right I love this organization that Seminole has created. For some reason I'm not surprised, Seminole and Organization go well together. :D

I think this is an interesting conversation we're having on Midway's growth. I believe the stretch of 90 between Midway and Capital Circle would make a comfortable residential corridor. Surely the road could handle the traffic.

I definitely believe we are talking about the same subdivision Seminole. I too need to get out there and check it out one day. Usually when I'm in that area I'm on I-10 only.

I agree TJ that housing development from Capital Circle NW to I-10 would be a good idea and the road (90) could handle it. Development definitely dies off when heading from I-10 (eastward) after the county line bridge to about Aenon Church Road. I'm not sure if it does that because part of that area is in the Talquin State forest or not. It may or may not be the best place for residential development b/c of the power plant off Geddie? Or would that not really matter?

I'm big fan of new growth in areas of the county/city other than the NE and now that the SE has taken off, I'd like to see us round out the county by having good quality growth in S, W and SW parts. Of course the National Forest does come into play in the SW part.

I agree with you Poonther. I love to see us fill in the less dense areas outside of Tallahassee's NE although I don't see any stopping of the growth out that way for some time.

The NW of town has taken off quite nicely, hopefully we can get a bit more growth around the I-10 ramp at exit 29. I'm hoping the work on I-10 and Capital Circle will bring about some commercial growth when complete. Possibly a few more quick shops, fast food restaurants for the travelers. If we're lucky a hotel or two.

I was coming back into town the other day via US 90 in Midway or what TJ likes to refer to as the "Village of West Tallahassee" and I noticed they are bldg. what appears to be an apartment complex??? on the south side of 90 just before the bridge to Leon. Does anyone know what this is or have you seen it too? If they are going to be apts., man some of the units are sitting right on the RR tracks.

I was coming back into town the other day via US 90 in Midway or what TJ likes to refer to as the "Village of West Tallahassee" and I noticed they are bldg. what appears to be an apartment complex??? on the south side of 90 just before the bridge to Leon. Does anyone know what this is or have you seen it too? If they are going to be apts., man some of the units are sitting right on the RR tracks.

I was traveling back to town on Sunday and I actually drove through the complex. I'm not sure if they are housing units or not but, as you mentioned, they are very close to railroad.

Yes I've seen this also. Kinda across from the Pilot gas station and new Lindy's Fried Chicken they've put out that way.

As you two stated, the Apts do sit right on the rail road tracks. In a way it reminded me of some of the apartments that are sandwitched between Mission Road and the Rail Road Tracks that run N-S on the west side of town.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a picture of the Boardwalk Village under construction on Pensacola Street. Apartments are being built above 2000 sq. ft. of retail, Subway has already signed on as a tenant.

SonyShots033.jpg

I am all for mixing residental and commerical properties but I think the Boardwalk is too small to support a Subway. Parking would be hell for the residents and there would be alot of foot traffic around the area. Though most subways are pretty neat, there will still be alot of food litter around the place :(

• 2 weeks later...

I was traveling back to town on Sunday and I actually drove through the complex. I'm not sure if they are housing units or not but, as you mentioned, they are very close to railroad.

The development is called Ochlockonee Point.

By the way, if any of you have the extra time then I recommend taking a trip out to Rustling Pines in Midway. Take Hwy 90 west past I-10, make a left on CR 268, take a right on Palmer Rd. (just before the RR Crossing), then take a right on Rustling Pines Road. This development is huge and is changing the face of Midway.

If you stay on CR 268 and veer to the right (after crossing the train tracks) you will come to a similar but much smaller development. I'm not sure if this smaller development is an extension of the greater Rustling Pines, but it's a very nice development also.

• 1 month later...

There appears to be yet another major aparment complex underway on Tennessee street. I'll try to get some shots of it when weather and time permits.

The Zaxby's near the New Applebee's on Capital Cirle SW has been completely framed with steel. I wouldn't be surprised to see it open in two months or so.

There is a major project just west of Capital Circle almost directly across from the X-Mart store. I'm not sure what that is, but if someone here knows I'd love to hear more about it.

Mazda continues to build on Capital Circle NW, just north of Tharpe Street. The store doesn't seem as if it will be that large. But I guess we'll see.

Toyota is prepping the site across the street for its new store. Lexus looks to award a franchise for Tallahassee sometime soon if it hasn't already. It has been announced that like the Toyota Store which is 51% owned by Peter Boulware, the Lexus store will also be a minority point. If awarded to the Legacy team, Lexus would likely replace Toyota where it currently sits, and Toyota/Scion will be built on the larger parcel across the street.

A Super-Suds facility is set to open on Tennessee Street anytime soon. Look for clean cars to coming rolling out between the Tallahassee State Bank and Premier Bank within the next few weeks.

Archived