West Tallahassee Undergoing Changes?

seminole

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Couple of new items for the West side of town about to come before the growth management board this week.

TYPE A AND PRE-SUBMITTAL

1. Kentucky Fried Chicken (21-29-20-205-0000, 21-29-20-208-0000) (TSP060041) located on 3.00 acres on the northeast corner of the intersection of West Tennessee Street and Capital Circle N.W. The proposed project is the construction of a 6,525 square foot restaurant with a drive thru facility. The property is zoned CP (Commercial Parkway).

2. University Village Phase 1 (21-34-51-000-1130 & 21-34-81-000-2555) (TPA060048) located on 10.71 acres at the northwest corner of West Pensacola Street and Ocala Road (f.k.a. West Wood Shopping Center). The proposed project is to construct a 6 story mixed use building that will include 16,000 square feet of commercial space on the ground floor and 60 residential units on the upper 5 floors at a density of 6 units per acre. The property is zoned UP-2 (Urban Pedestrian).

I find the proposal for redevelopment of the Westwood Shopping Center especially interesting since it indicates 5 stories of residential on top of ground level retail. I'm glad to see this proposal for upward construction instead of just outward. I wonder if the current tenants of this plaza will be staying or will the developers start over from scratch? Whatever it becomes, at least they'll have plenty of parking at this location. :)

I saw the proposal for University Village aka Westwood also and I too like the fact that they are thinking about going up. I would think this proposal would be an out parcel development, like where the gas station is or down where the Mexican food place is or go on the center's west side or maybe in the center. The east side of the center has just undergone changes at Gold's Gym, the Aveda store and the tacky addition of all brick that Bill's Bookstore did. I'm not picking on it b/c it's brick but b/c that brick doesn't fit in at all w/the surrounding center. I know Bill's wanted to stand out, but IMO they stand out like a sore thumb. Again another reason we did some type of appearance review.

Thanks for the update on everything that's happened at this location poonther.

Wow...it sounds like quite a bit has changed at this plaza since Publix moved out. Yes, I know, it's been a very long time since I've gone by there. :)

Hmmm...I didn't even think about the current proposal being for development of the outparcels. I'll have to make a point of getting by there to see the tacky Bill's Book store & everything else that's changed.

Is the Hobbit still open for business over there?

Yeah Hobbit's still there...or it was last time I was by there. Now I'm just speculating on where they'd put the residences, but an out parcel does seem like a good possibility. I'm hoping someone "in the know" will come by here and shed some light! Bill's isn't' tacky b/c of the way it looks, it would be great if it were a stand alone store, it's just tacky b/c it doesn't fit in at all. I'm not a big fan (as you well know) of hodge-podge exteriors and signs!

Make way for Bruester's ice cream store located on Tharpe St. next to the

prestigious Amos P. Godby high. They are now turning dirt to lay the foundation for what seems like a nice family oriented ice cream shop. Here is a link http://wendyw.photosite.com/BruestersIceCr...Field_Trip.html -tried to find a main link but I guess this will do.

Make way for Bruester's ice cream store located on Tharpe St. next to the

prestigious Amos P. Godby high. They are now turning dirt to lay the foundation for what seems like a nice family oriented ice cream shop. Here is a link http://wendyw.photosite.com/BruestersIceCr...Field_Trip.html -tried to find a main link but I guess this will do.

Hasn't brusters been talking about opening a store at that location for about 4 years now. Are they now doing site work? Or are you just announcing it again CB?

Aside from the progress on the 3 story mixed use on chapel and pensicola (the tower tops are going up next week it looks like) there is also activity on the site across the street on Rivoli?! I dont know whats there...

But this looks like an awsome idea! Down with all gas stations!

University Village Phase 1 - on 10.71 acres at the northwest corner of West Pensacola Street and Ocala Road. The proposed project is to construct a six-story mixed-use building that will include 16,000 square feet of commercial space on the ground floor and 60 residential units on the upper five floors at a density of six units per acre. Zoned UP-2 (Urban Pedestrian). Time: 9:15 a.m.

Originally published May 10, 2006

Yeah Murph, you're behind on that University Village, I think someone posted abotu that one already.

But I do think you're right about the activity on Rivoli. I've been checking it out and it's looking promising.

How do you like the new townhomes they've built at Rivoli and BellVue.

• 1 month later...

This is the old Winn-Dixie shopping center site. Appears someone is proposing to divide it into 2 commercial lots. This site is an eyesore & has been vacant way too long so I hope something good happens here.

TYPE A AND PRE-SUBMITTAL MEETING

Limited Partition

1. Old Bainbridge Square (21-23-20-410-0000) (TSD060032) located on 8.6 acres on the north side of West Tharpe Street, approximately 100 feet east of Old Bainbridge Road. The proposed project is the subdivision of the site into 2 commercial lots. The property is zoned UP-1 (Urban Pedestrian).

This is the old Winn-Dixie shopping center site. Appears someone is proposing to divide it into 2 commercial lots. This site is an eyesore & has been vacant way too long so I hope something good happens here.

TYPE A AND PRE-SUBMITTAL MEETING

Limited Partition

1. Old Bainbridge Square (21-23-20-410-0000) (TSD060032) located on 8.6 acres on the north side of West Tharpe Street, approximately 100 feet east of Old Bainbridge Road. The proposed project is the subdivision of the site into 2 commercial lots. The property is zoned UP-1 (Urban Pedestrian).

This is very good news. I'm tired of looking at that eyesore too. I wonder if one of these tenants will be a Fred's? I've seen them go into these subdivided stores in several other places. I hope this happens and this shopping center gets new life.

Archived