Ambassador Bridge and Pedestrians

Detroit_Luveur

I was wondering, when was the last time pedestrians were allowed to walk across the Ambassador Bridge?

I was watching Crossing the Bridge, today, which most of you have probably already seen. But, in the end, they abandon their car on the bridge and enter the US on foot from a building located on the bridge.

I'm just curious when the bridge stopped doing that because the last time I rode across it, I didn't notice anyplace for pedestrians. Of course I might've overlooked it.

Thanks,

D.L.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im not familiar with that movie.  Would anyone care to give me a brief summary of it?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

These college-aged guys live in Detroit around 1975; and, get involved in some type of elaborate drug heist. They go to Canada, pick up some heroin(they thought they were picking up pot). And on their way back, on the Ambassador Bridge. They become too scared to go through with customs and the chances of being caught, so they abandon the car on the bridge and walk through some type of pedestrian customs booth, inside a building on the side of the bridge.

It sort of looked like it was taped on the bridge, quite legit. I was just wondering if the Ambassador actually does have some type of Pedestrian Customs area. And if you could walk across the bridge. The movie was released in 1992, by the way.

No, I'm pretty sure it was taped in Detroit. At the end the guy's walking along some train tracks along the river and, you can see the bridge and the RenCen in the background.

RoboCop is so funny. It was taped in Houston. And you can distinctly see many of the buildings in Houston's skyline. Even, the neighborhoods have that sprawling Houston feel. Not the best when it comes to representing Detroit.

Eminem's 8 Mile took place in Detroit on many shots, but others were recreated elsewhere. Scenes included were that trailer park off 8 Mile, and the inside of Michigan Theater, Chin Tiki restaurant (abandoned at the time, but fixed up for the movie), and a factory somewhere. A lot of people may argue that it did not represent Detroit correctly, but I don't see where the movie was even supposed to represent Detroit at all. But it did have that Detroit feel to it.

I've ridden a bicycle across the bridge. I believe I did that sometime in the late 70's. At each end I stopped at the office to clear customs. I think they stopped everything except motor vehicles from crossing the bridge in the mid 80's.

I have a friend that tells me he used to deliver pot to people in Windsor by walking 3/4 of the way across the bridge and dropping it to people waiting below. Times were very different back then.

Archived