Plans for 44 story downtown tower denied

bobliocatt

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't understand the logic (or lack thereof) used by the nay-sayers on the Council. The Gibbons Courthouse, right across the street, isn't much shorter than what these guys are proposing. Neither is SkyPoint. Where will the 44-story towers go, if not downtown?

I'm scratching my head here... :blink:

I don't know, it sounds like the perfect urban proposal that everyone wants and its definately better than the recently approved 4 unit project, nearby, that doesn't even include street retail. I also never heard of a project being too dense for downtown. Tampa should welcome 975 more downtown residents with open arms.

that sucks that you guys are not getting that new high rise for your downtown. i'm in oklahoma city. they have not built any skyskrapers since the early '80's, let alone for apartement living. people are dying to move back downtown here. until they build some more high rises its going to be hard for anyone to move down there.

Yah, and the crazy thing is they've already started building a 32-story res tower only a block or two away, as well as the 53 story Trump Tower Tampa further south on the river. Both are essentially sold out.

There's gotta be something going on that we don't know about, because this makes no sense...

THIS IS CRAZY........

I think someone is getting their pockets lined for denying this. First we have to listen to "old school" Pam dis the new museum and now we have to hear about council members saying downtown buildings are to TALL!?........Waaaaaa?

Build it build it build it........

Tampa has a chance, we need to make that so. If you read this forum then we need to wake these people up and let them know people want to live in places other than Carrolwood, Westchase, New Tampa, and Hyde Park (can't afford the last).

I doubt the river walk is even going to happen....IMHO

g :(

Just emailed to the council...please copy and email as well....Add whatever you like

Hello Council Member

I am writing in regards to an article I just read in the Tampa Tribune claiming that the Tampa City Council has stalled on a vote that would bring 975 new residences as well as a great number of new jobs into the greater downtown area. I am very concerned by this. How is it that you can justify a no vote on a project of this scale and this location? This would bring jobs, a lot of them, to an area that desperately needs it. As a resident of Tampa, I would like a better explanation as to why you have voted this way. This makes no sense!? There are projects in Channelside, Skypoint, and Trump all close to this area that are much more dominating of the skyline in Tampa. Are there other reasons? Am I missing something? I am a voter and this is definitely an issue that I will remember when elections are near.

You have a chance to do a great service for Tampa.

Best Regards

xxxxxxxxxxx

g

Project would have included adding 975 residents in three towers, 249, 277 & 423ft in height.  Project also includes preserving the facade of the Kress Building.  Unit prices would have started at $130k.  Unfortunately some council members believe the project is too dense and tall for downtown.

Vote Stalls Franklin Street Towers

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I just read that article and i'm astonished. The basis for the council denying this project seems both arbitrary and illogical. You have a tall and dense urban project going downtown, what more can u ask for? 423 ft is not that high, especially considering that they have buildings far taller already. I don't get it.

Just emailed to the council...please copy and email as well....Add whatever you like

Hello Council Member

I am writing in regards to an article I just read in the Tampa Tribune claiming that the Tampa City Council has stalled on a vote that would bring 975 new residences as well as a great number of new jobs into the greater downtown area.  I am very concerned by this.  How is it that you can justify a no vote on a project of this scale and this location?  This would bring jobs, a lot of them, to an area that desperately needs it.  As a resident of Tampa, I would like a better explanation as to why you have voted this way.  This makes no sense!?  There are projects in Channelside, Skypoint, and Trump all close to this area that are much more dominating of the skyline in Tampa.  Are there other reasons?  Am I missing something?  I am a voter and this is definitely an issue that I will remember when elections are near.

You have a chance to do a great service for Tampa.

Best Regards

xxxxxxxxxxx

g

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just sent an email to Mr. Dingfelder thanking him for his support for the N. Franklin developments but I'm not sure if the email was successful. What's up with the other council member walking out because of a conflict of interest?

My email was not a nice as yours...I mentioned that the other council members are the reason that Tampa is still a hick town. Yes, I think there is something shady going on. Maybe since these towers are more affordable they will not generate as much tax revenue for the city that a 6 million dollar penthouse would.

They also have been putting a lot of energy into this riverwalk thing. Do you or anybody else think that people are going to flock to Tampa just to stroll along the river walk? It's probably just going to be another place for the bums to hang out on. The city is spending big bucks on this but how is it going to make money?

Still venting! Seems like the other council members envision N. Franklin as a coffee shop district and they want Franklin to look like a main street going through a small town. I'm sick of all this scaled down BS and I'm ready to move to a real city.

With all due respect, I have to disagree with you on the RiverWalk. I don't think it is meant as a "tourist attraction" that will draw people to downtown, but rather an amenity that adds to the interest and livability of our downtown.

I think that this will definitely be used by people staying at adjacent hotels (Mariott, new Sheraton, old Holiday Inn) as well as the people that will be moving into all the new downtown residential projects (TTT, SkyPoint, O2, Channelside, etc). It will most likely be used in the way that Bayshore is currently used - walk the dog, blade, jog, etc.

I believe the main reason that most downtown parks have traditionally only been used by the homeless population is that no one else lived downtown until recently. Prior to 2003, the only residential development was Laurel Place. In the next two to three years, we are literally going to see thousands of people move into the downtown and Channelside areas. So by the time the RiverWalk is finished (2009?), there will be a lot of people ready to take advantage of it.

With all due respect, I have to disagree with you on the RiverWalk. I don't think it is meant as a "tourist attraction" that will draw people to downtown, but rather an amenity that adds to the interest and livability of our downtown.

I think that this will definitely be used by people staying at adjacent hotels (Mariott, new Sheraton, old Holiday Inn) as well as the people that will be moving into all the new downtown residential projects (TTT, SkyPoint, O2, Channelside, etc). It will most likely be used in the way that Bayshore is currently used - walk the dog, blade, jog, etc.

I believe the main reason that most downtown parks have traditionally only been used by the homeless population is that no one else lived downtown until recently. Prior to 2003, the only residential development was Laurel Place. In the next two to three years, we are literally going to see thousands of people move into the downtown and Channelside areas. So by the time the RiverWalk is finished (2009?), there will be a lot of people ready to take advantage of it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good point! But where will all the homeless to go if the city is pushing to have this riverwalk as a very prestigious landmark? And about the people living in Trump Tower. These people are very wealthy and I think they may be pretty bored with downtown unless something very drastic happens, where there may be a downtown mall built with upscale shopping. These are people that have so much money that they travel all the time and TTT may be their second home. They buy their furniture from all over the world where they have traveled. Even Robb & Stucky is probalby not good enough for them. They will be hopping in their cars and driving to other parts of the city to shop or drive down to Naples or Miami until the day that a fancy shopping strip is built in DT. I'm sure people in TTT will have absolutely no use for Ybor, but who knows?

I agree with you re: TTT - this could be a second home to many wealthy "snow birds," but the Tampa Trib reported that a good deal of them are local as well.

True, these guys will probably not spend a lot of time in Ybor, but they may use the River Walk to venture over to Channelside for a movie or dinner at the Signature Room. They could go in the opposite direction for a play at the Performing Arts Center.

It will be interesting to see what type of retail is eventually attracted to downtown when the demographics change radically in a few years. There isn't much shopping in the CBD today, but that may change in the future.

I agree with you re: TTT - this could be a second home to many wealthy "snow birds," but the Tampa Trib reported that a good deal of them are local as well.

True, these guys will probably not spend a lot of time in Ybor, but they may use the River Walk to venture over to Channelside for a movie or dinner at the Signature Room. They could go in the opposite direction for a play at the Performing Arts Center.

It will be interesting to see what type of retail is eventually attracted to downtown when the demographics change radically in a few years. There isn't much shopping in the CBD today, but that may change in the future.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The problem with Tampa is"what is was is what it is is". Tampa was not built as a rich man's playground. I hate to compare, but we can not compete with Miami. The problem is too many people from NY and the norheast only think of "the real Florida" as Miami! We get a lot of people from the midwest that move here. At least they are REAL people. Sorry Miami! Hate South Beach!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

SKEPTICAL! With the rich people living in TTT, do you think there will be Bently's and Rols Royce driving around in Tampa? I don't care and I'm not envious. Actually I hope that Donald takes more interst in DT and we can have more buildings to make our city look awesome.

Good point!  But where will all the homeless to go if the city is pushing to have this riverwalk as a very prestigious landmark?  And about the people living in Trump Tower.  These people are very wealthy and I think they may be pretty bored with downtown unless something very drastic happens, where there may be a downtown mall built with upscale shopping.  These are people that have so much money that they travel all the time and TTT may be their second home.  They buy their furniture from all over the world where they have traveled.  Even Robb & Stucky is probalby not good enough for them.  They will be hopping in their cars and driving to other parts of the city to shop or drive down to Naples or Miami until the day that a fancy shopping strip is built in DT.  I'm sure people in TTT will have absolutely no use for Ybor, but who knows?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, TTT dwellers will not be bored. It is rather a question for downtown boosters ... will they spend time and money downtown ?

It would be kind of dumb to buy downtown and spend your money elsewhere, but I suppose stranger things have happened, especially when Tampa Council members deny the projects that will bring the vibrancy to the core.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The next vote is today. I am interested to see if any tunes have changed (hopefully for the better)

g

Do you sharing what he mentioned?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dear Mr. XXXXX

Since your comments involve a pending rezoning matter, please be advised that State Law prohibits Councilman Dingfelder from communicating directly with you in regard to this matter. However, Councilman Dingfelder has been provided with a copy of your comments and wants you to know that he appreciates your input. Additionally, a copy of your correspondence has been filed with the Clerk's office. Thank you again for contacting Tampa City Council.

Cynthia Sarff, Legislative Aide to Councilman John Dingfelder, District 4

I got it too.

standard stuff

g

Dear Mr. XXXXX

Since your comments involve a pending rezoning matter, please be advised that State Law prohibits Councilman Dingfelder from communicating directly with you in regard to this matter. However, Councilman Dingfelder has been provided with a copy of your comments and wants you to know that he appreciates your input. Additionally, a copy of your correspondence has been filed with the Clerk's office. Thank you again for contacting Tampa City Council.

Cynthia Sarff, Legislative Aide to Councilman John Dingfelder, District 4

I got it too.

standard stuff

g

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for sharing.

Archived