Pensacola to get two 21 story/249ft condo towers

bobliocatt

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Portofino Resort & Spa unveils new beach project that will include two 21 story condo towers and an adjoining 5 story, 157 unit resort hotel.

http://www.pensacolanewsjournal.com/apps/p.../506240333/1006

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This breaks my heart. My dad (he grew up in Pensacola, before there were any buildings on the beach...minus maybe one) owned a beach house right next to Portofino before it was built. It was such a beautiful, natural area. I hate to see a 20 story concrete wall blocking out the sun....

But I am a hard core environmentalist, so folks will have to forgive me. I just don't want NW Florida having a concrete wall all around beach front.

I'd love to see a rendering of them. Surely, however, things like this aren't new to Pensacola. They have several high rises along their coast line. Were any damaged by the hurricanes last year? This is good news for that community, Im glad to see something going up.

• 3 weeks later...

I hope not! From what I hear Dennis did some damage. I don't know if anyone else think this but I think Pensacola has the potential to become Miami Northwest.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Great, take paradise and turn it into a sh#t hole.

I undestand some development has to take place, but making everyplace look like New York City Junior is not attrative to me at ALL.

I don't want the coastline of Florida walled off with 25 story condos blocking the view and the sun.

^Are you ok you seem very angry! Even Miami is beautiful.I love to see buildings over water, it's just a thought I had. Nice country clubs next to the beach ,boats flying by these beach condos. Palms swaying in the gentle breeze. It don't have to be exactly like Miami. P-cola can have a whole different image. Respect for development and nature. :)

Great, take paradise and turn it into a sh#t hole.

I undestand some development has to take place, but making everyplace look like New York City Junior is not attrative to me at ALL.

I don't want the coastline of Florida walled off with 25 story condos blocking the view and the sun.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

^ I totally agree. What does it say about us as people, and our level of creativity and uniqueness when we all seek to look just like another city. Truly Miami's downfall in many peoples eyes is the fact that it went from pristene coastline to cement-jungle. Same is true for the rest of South Florida. New York city is big, and they are best staying that way, because besides their size (in numbers and high-rises) and the occasional slice of pizza, most of that lifestyle is undesirable.

I can't see Pensacola Beach ever getting overbuilt. Firstly, a good portion of the beach is protected and will never be built on and secondly Escambia have a very stringent building moratoreum in place for he coastline. The rental returns on beach property is very poor too compared to other areas of Florida, so I don't see a whole bunch of new condo towers going up. The Portofino towers are going to be residential, so no short term rental there and I believe the starting price is in the $800K's.

I'd love to see a whole lot of new construction in the Pensacola area, it might help make the place a bit more interesting to live in.

Yeah... so again I ask... why is the starting price for a beach front condo in Pensacola STARTING at $800,000!?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

These are going to be residential units so I assume they'll be larger than the regular vacation rental units. It really depends on what the price per sq.ft is before judging if they are overpriced. But I agree with you, if I was going to buy a Gulf front condo it wouldn't be in the Panhandle, I'd buy somewhere that the winter weather was milder.

The newer towers on the beach hardly suffered any damage from Ivan, where as many of the older towers took a real hit, which says a lot for the upgraded building codes in the area.

Archived