Little Rock National Airport

Well, LIT has finally made it back to pre-9/11 numbers! I'm so excited about all the renovations and additional flights at LIT. We have a flight back to Denver again! There's now non-stop to New York and Orlando! Both were biggies for me.

I would still like to see us get an international flight (Toronto, Montreal, Mexico, etc). We are also in desperate need of a West Coast flight!

With the cheaper fares and more destination choices, I think LIT will begin to pull more customers from my area away from MEM.

MEM is expensive and just plain gross!

Any other junkies out there?

Oh... almost forgot... a great link to get photos of LIT is at My Aviation. Go to the "advance search" page and type Little Rock in the "location" field. There's a guy who works for NWA named Jason Hamm who posts pics there all the time! Enjoy!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LTR already pulls a number of passengers away from MEM due to the presence of Southwest at Little Rock, and the fact that Northwest maintains a fortress hub with astronomical fares in Memphis.

Many Memphians drive the two hours to LTR to hop on a Southwest flight rather than pay the extra $500 on Northwest. At one point, there was a regularly scheduled bus that ran from Memphis to Little Rock just for that purpose. May still be running for all I know.

On the flip side, Northwest is still running all mainline service to MEM from LTR with 3 dailies, while many feeder routes into that hub--and most hubs--have been downgraded to regional jets. In fact, they recently upgraded one flight from a DC9 to an A320.

nice. we have finished expanding and renovating wrwa. we also need a non stop flight to the west coast. if you get an international flight before us i'll be a little miffed. but if you do more power to ya.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

OK City doesn't have international?

That surprises the hell out of me.... in fact, that can't be right. I'm pretty sure Tulsa does.

The NW arkansas regional airport is on its way to overtaking LR. They are growing faster, plus, since it's a pretty well-off area, there are many more businessmen! And I've already stated, the population will outgrow Central arkansas' pretty soon (in 15-20 years).

I should have taken pictures of the airport when we picked up my sister (she uses the direct flight from Newark, as a matter of fact). I will take pictures of the airport when I go there again the 17th of July. It looks nice with all the fountains.

Well, LIT has finally made it back to pre-9/11 numbers!  I'm so excited about all the renovations and additional flights at LIT.

Yes, the remodeling is beautiful, if I do say so myself (we are both Arkansas progress nerds, I suppose). The blue glass, white paint, new structures, fountains, interior design, etc are really shaping this into a very nice airport.

I find XNA to be the premiere airport of Arkansas. It just has so much potential in that region of the state. Check out today's Washington Post for a GREAT article on the whole "Wally World" region. Now...in a rebuttal...I believe that if the Wright Ammendment is repealed, Little Rock will quickly lose many passenger loads on its flights, for a great deal of the WN traffic was coming from low-cost carrier lax Memphians. Jet Blue, Independence Air, and Southwest are currently looking at Memphis. A recent news story pointed out that Southwest was in gate space negotiations at MEM. Jet Blue is expected to begin service soon, and Independence Air execs were recently in town to discuss the possibility of service from MEM-Dulles. We currently have Air Tran and America West for LCCs (not much, I admit); however, the America West-US Airways merger will certainly give Memphis a boost with a few more low-cost destinations. I have nothing against Little Rock at all, but I do think that it shouldn't expect to have Memphis passengers for much longer.

Yeah XNA here in northwest Arkansas certainly does have a bright future. 9/11 never really hurt XNA too much. Numbers continue to grow, although much of the traffic is still basically business travel. It is a bit odd because they built it well away from everything here in northwest Arkansas. But it certainly gives it lots of room to expand. Little Rock certainly has it's advantages and it will take XNA a while to try to catch up in some of the categories. But XNA does have some advantages already, it already offers some flights that Little Rock doesn't.

Archived