Central Lansing Construction and Development.

RustTown

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I've seen Grand River shots from the mid-1800's up until probably around the 40's and the river was all HEAVY industrial. There were literally toxic chemical factories lining the river downtown. For as bad as some parts of the river still are concerning industry it's light years ahead of where it used to be.

Yeah, I've seen Grand River shots from the mid-1800's up until probably around the 40's and the river was all HEAVY industrial.  There were literally toxic chemical factories lining the river downtown.  For as bad as some parts of the river still are concerning industry it's light years ahead of where it used to be.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree, I have heard many of my aunts and uncles talk of all the abandoned cars and machinery left in and around the river just before they razed these factories in the late 60's. These lined the river between Grand & Larch and Grand River Ave & Main. Most, if not all were abandoned and severely dilapidated, then the Feds saved us with the Rails to Trails program and the factories were demolished and Riverfront park and the River trail were created. This isn't all good though, we lost most of our multistory factories and warehouses which have proved beneficial to many other cities, such as Grand Rapids. I'm hoping to get ahold of some photos of this area from just before everything was demolished.

I remember when I first moved here that the train still came through Riverfront Park across the old rail bridge that's now a pedestrian bridge. We used to walk along the tracks. The bridge is over 100 old, I know for sure. I remember the area of the riverfront where I live use to be a huge lumber yard for many years.

I used to live on Rouse (my whole life), right by the old L&L on Cedar, now Daily Deals. However my parents moved to a new subdivision in Holt, but it won't last long, when I move out it will be back to Lansing, probably in one of the neighborhoods around downtown.

I beleive the only reason for those trains running while you would of lived there was for the Ottawa Power Plant, didn't the tracks end there?

Yep, they ran along the river to service the Ottawa Street Station. It actually wasn't that long ago that the tracks (though not used) ran across Saginaw Street at the river and connected to the tracks that are now abandoned in Old Town. They really need to tear up the inoperable track in Old Town and somehow turn it into a trail that would connect the rest of North Lansing to the River Trail.

Boy, did it used to be loud when the train would come through at night. Not only that train but the one just east a few blocks that still runs. But, I got used to it and it used to help me sleep. :)

I hope I'm not asking too much, but why did your parents move outside of the city? It's always interesting to hear why.

They had just paid off the house and had it appraised just for kicks, it was appraised to sell at $109,900, they were shocked so they just started to look around and they found an over 1,800 sq. ft. brand new house for $150,000. When you consider that they bought our old house for $32,000 in '86 and the only major work they did to it was a $10,000 addition, I can't blame them for taking their money and running, they wanted a secure investment.

Yeah, though, you think they could have found one in a nice area of Lansing, as well. My best friend from high school also moved to Holt with his family not too long ago. Houses down there must be a good investment. He lives right on Aurelius across from the middle school or high school, I forget which one. It's nice and quiet down there, but not much else.

Anyway, it looks like Clem's Comic Book Shop downtown is also getting a new facade. It's the building right next to the 3 story one being renovated.

Also, while I was downtown today I see they've finally started heavily on the renovation of the Washsington Square Building. They have the entire sidewalks across it closed off.

While not the biggest of news it's good to hear that this factory in Lansing is being reused. It's also great to hear that some office and retail space will be part of the project. The whole concept is pretty interesting. Also, this is on the western end of Old Town/Northtown:

Wohlert site offers storage to car buffs

Old parts plant to serve owners of classic autos

By Barbara Wieland

Lansing State Journal

http://www.lsj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?A...EWS03/508020334

What do you think about the voters approving the sale of the BWL building on the riverfront?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think it was a given, and I expect one or more proposals to be announced very soon. Should be an impressive project.

It's moving forward, after being delayed over the summer because of a heavy workload for the city council because of the budget. I have been in contact through email with the developer, and as of late July, everything is back on track. I'll ask him when he plans on break ground. I'm quite sure it will be sometime early next year after the Prudden Place is up and running (which, BTW is moving foward very fast now. I'll have to get a picture update).

A few interesting articles on Lansing development both downtown and beyond:

Conversation focuses on south side's future

Lansing City Community News

By CHRISTIE BLECK Staff Writer

LANSING -Many south-side residents agree the area has an image problem, although maybe a bit undeserved. How to deal with that perception - and improve what needs to be improved - was the focus of a July 28 forum that centered on the city's southwest side.

More of the article here:

http://www.hometownlife.com/LansingCity/Ne...fDate=8/11/2005

And an older article from June:

Living Options Highlight Dowtown Progress Report

Greater Lansing Business Monthly

Author: Jane Whittington

Listen up, Lansing: the news is good! Plans are in place, goals are being met, Lansing is moving forward and Downtown is becoming a better and brighter place to be.

According to Patricia Cook, manager for the Economic Development Corporation of the city of Lansing,

• 3 weeks later...

A development update with a small photo tour:

Michigan Capitol

711__michigan_capitol.jpg

712__michigan_capitol_building__2_.jpg

Hollister Building - going mixed use next year

713__hollister_building.jpg

The block

714__michigan_national_tower_profile.jpg

The Ranney Building renovation (lofts/retail/office space) can be seen peaking through on the 200 south block of Washington Square amongst the back of the Cooley Law School Temple Building and the red Capitol Hall.

715__capitol_-_washington.jpg

The vacant Knapp's Centre Building, a former department store.

716__knapp_centre.jpg

Cooley Center, under reconstruction since 1999, will be finished this year with the final finishing of the 3rd and 4th floors which will finally bring Cooley Law School under one roof.

717__cooley_center.jpg

Washington Square Building, under reconstruction, will finish up later in the fall. It will be home to a few state offices, and will continue to be home to Michigania, an eclectic Michigan-themed souvenior shop, on the ground floor.

718__washington_square_building.jpg

East Michigan Avenue, Lansing's linear entertainment district.

719__east_michigan_avenue.jpg

Riverfront Plaza against the Grand with Prudden Place and Prudden Factory, under construction and under renovation, in the background. Riverfront Plaza is part of the Lansing Center's (convention center) most recent renovation/expansion back in the early 90's.

7110__lansing_center.jpg

Boji Tower framed

7111__center.jpg

Some more Allegan Street towers. The upper floors of Capitol Hall, the red-brick building, are home to the Beaner's Gourmet Coffee franchise, the second largest in the country after Starbucks.

7112__east_allegan_street.jpg

Random shot of a downtown block.

7113__core.jpg

Kalamazoo Street Bridge. Through downtown, the river has been cramped and narrowed.

7114__kalamazoo_bridge.jpg

A mural on the side of Riverwalk Theatre which occupies this historic wharehouse along the Grand. The Lansing River Trail can be seen in front.

7115__river_walk_theater.jpg

402 South Washington Square, the old Marshall Music Building, quickly finishing it's renovation into lofts/retail/offices. Diamonds In The Rough Inc. is also redoing the Ranney Building which made a quick appearance in this thread.

7116__402_s__washingotn.jpg

Ahptic Producations, just east and north of Prudden Place, finished it's renovation of it's current home earlier this year. Ahptic (a play on Optic) is a full service production company/facility who's clients have included A&E Biography, MTV, Animal Planet and others.

7117__ahptic.jpg

They REALLY improved the building this 1923-built building on 901 Cleveland just off of Oakland Avenue.

71901_cleveland_street.jpg

An update on part of Prudden Place...it's unfortunate to see that cheap materials are being used, but good to see construction, nonetheless. This is the "Granduer" model. It is one of the styles in this 8 building complex that will include 100+ luxury apartments which will more than likely become condos in the next few years.

7118__prudden_place_apartments_construction.jpg

A new retail center going up near the corner of Cedar and Saginaw just in between downtown and Old Town Lansing. Though, as you can see, part of it will have a drive through for the Beaner's coffee, it's still a decent design for a small center.

7121__retail_center.jpg

Looking over the construction site...

7119__riverfront_towers.jpg

7120__construction_site.jpg

That's all, folks.

Ahptic Producations, just east and north of Prudden Place, finished it's renovation of it's current home earlier this year.  Ahptic (a play on Optic) is a full service production company/facility who's clients have included A&E Biography, MTV, Animal Planet and others.

7117__ahptic.jpg

They REALLY improved the building this 1923-built building on 901 Cleveland just off of Oakland Avenue.

71901_cleveland_street.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Great photos, do you go out each weekend or something?

Also, Ahptic Producations chose an odd location, didn't they? They did a great job on that building but it would of been nicer for them to be downtown somwhere, I think, or even Old Town.

It would be nice if commercial buildings in neighborhoods could be used as more neighborhood service type business' even if it was a bar or liqour store. When I first saw the building I thought it would be some kind of club or bar.

Yeah, that would be nice. Luckily, that neighborhood already has a great corner market (that I frequent sometimes) in Ericc's Market on the corner of Oakland and Pennsylvania. In fact, the old Drake's Gas Station that's been abandoned for years is under renovation on the opposite corner right now, and will become a used-car dealership. While there could have been better uses for that, the renovation looks very nice, and the corner will be nicely lit at night.

Also, there are a few small stores that have already, or will, set up shop in the Baker Donora neighborhood which is really seeing some renewed interest from it's residences.

What business' will be moving into the Baker/Donora neigborhood, I know that liquor store opened up a while ago, and LeRoy's is getting an addition, not sure if that will be part of the bar or another storefront though. I also noticed that there appears to be something going on at the former Muhamed center by the RR tracks.

Yeah, I was talking about the muslim center which I really don't know what's going in. I do know they are building more new homes, though. As you may know, much of the neighborhood has recently had a clean-up, which was more for show, but is bringing attention to this neighborhood. It's nowhere near as bad as it used to be even just 10 years ago when it really wasn't safe at all during the night.

Archived