P.F. Chang's

I am ready for Greenville to get a P.F. Chang's. I heard some people on here mention that they were possibly looking at Greenville as an option for the near future. How reliable is that information? I hope it's true. Knoxville, TN, Durham, NC, and Wichita, KS already have a P.F. Chang's, so why don't we? They do tend to be in or around bigger cities, though, and I think us getting one would represent our progression as a "rising star." B)

Thoughts? Opinions?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a Chinese Bistro, similar to Darden's old "China Coast," only much better.

I wrote to P.F. Changs a couple of months ago to ask about the rumor that they were locatiing on Pelham Road. The reply that I received indicated that there were no plans for Greenville at this time. I think I posted the reply in one of the other threads.

It's a Chinese Bistro, similar to Darden's old "China Coast," only much better.

I wrote to P.F. Changs a couple of months ago to ask about the rumor that they were locatiing on Pelham Road.  The reply that I received indicated that there were no plans for Greenville at this time.  I think I posted the reply in one of the other threads.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You did indeed post that in another thread, RestedTraveler. Perhaps I was thinking about someone who mentioned P.F. Chang's potentially moving into space at Haywood Mall (which was the result of a discussion about Haywood Mall expanding the food court area, with space for a couple of restaurants).

I also recall mention of a Ruth's Chris Steakhouse in Greenville within the last couple of years. I seem to remember it being mentioned in a Greenville News article regarding downtown development. However, the article stated that Greenville probably wasn't ready to support something like that yet. It is something to shoot for in the future, anyway. Their website can be found by clicking here.

Speaking of Chinese bistros, have any of you eaten at Lieu's Chinese Bistro on Woodruff Road (near Fatz Cafe)? I have been there a couple of times, and have had outstanding experiences both times. The prices are very reasonable, and the quantities large. The service was excellent.

The atmosphere is nice, and unlike many restaurants, it is not very loud so you can easily have a conversation with those at your table. The jazz music they play is very relaxing also.

If you haven't been, I highly recommend it! :)

I have heard rumors of a PF Changs at the following locations:

Shops at Greenridge

Haywood Mall

Pelham Rd @ I-85 (new shopping center at MetLife Site)

Would it not be great if this (or Ruth's Chris) turned out to be the national chain moving the Riverplace?

Count me in the apparent minority of people who don't like P. F. Chang's. I've eaten at one in Rockville, MD and here in Birmingham, and didn't like either. The food wasn't BAD, but it wasn't all that good, either, and the portions are small. Gville doesn't know how good it has it with Dragon Den (assuming no drop in quality since my last visit). I've lived in St. Louis (the BEST food town of all), D.C., Memphis, and a few other places, and I've never been to a single chinese place that touches Dragon Den (and I've been to a lot).

Here's my opinion of what Gville needs, though I agree with most of the other suggestions, too:

Houston's

Grady's

Red Robin Grill (great for families)

Count me in the apparent minority of people who don't like P. F. Chang's. I've eaten at one in Rockville, MD and here in Birmingham, and didn't like either. The food wasn't BAD, but it wasn't all that good, either, and the portions are small. Gville doesn't know how good it has it with Dragon Den (assuming no drop in quality since my last visit). I've lived in St. Louis (the BEST food town of all), D.C., Memphis, and a few other places, and I've never been to a single chinese place that touches Dragon Den (and I've been to a lot).

Here's my opinion of what Gville needs, though I agree with most of the other suggestions, too:

Houston's

Grady's

Red Robin Grill (great for families)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have never been to Houston's, although I have seen them in Boston and Atlanta. What is the food like there? Do you think one would do well in G-ville?

I have never been to Houston's, although I have seen them in Boston and Atlanta.  What is the food like there?  Do you think one would do well in G-ville?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's probably most like the Augusta Grill. Higher end but not five-star. Still affordable for most everyone. And the food is really good. I've never had anything there I didn't like. Grady's is similar, but not as well known as Houston's. On the interior, all the Houston's I've been in are brick and dark wood, with lots of windows, an open "flame pit" kitchen and a large bar area off to the side.

I think a Houston's would do well downtown, but I like the really high-quality local eateries down there, and wonder what the competition would do to them. Near Haywood Mall or along with one of these large shopping developments would work well, too.

Count me in the apparent minority of people who don't like P. F. Chang's. I've eaten at one in Rockville, MD and here in Birmingham, and didn't like either. The food wasn't BAD, but it wasn't all that good, either, and the portions are small. ......

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I completely agree. Genuine Authentic Americanized Chinese food isn't my cup of tea. The one in Charlotte is completely unremarkable except that you will pay a lot of money to eat there. The best Chinese food is usually found in locally owned places which don't have buffets.

I completely agree.  Genuine Authentic Americanized Chinese food isn't my cup of tea. The one in Charlotte is completely unremarkable except that you will pay a lot of money to eat there.  The best Chinese food is usually found in locally owned places which don't have buffets.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Like The Great Wall in Mauldin. Last time I ate there with a few friends was a real treat. :thumbsup: Authentic all the way!

I've never been to #1 China (even though I used to live in the N. Main area). I'll try it next time I'm in town.

Two other great places that would be good for Greenville:

Pot Belly Sandwich Works has outstanding sandwiches. More or less would compete with McAlister's, though their sandwiches are quite different, and it would fit in well downtown.

Chipotle, a Moe's competitor, which is much better than Moe's. And I really like Moe's. I've only seen Chipotle in big cities, though, like Atl., Denver and D.C. I have never been served at any Chipotle by anyone who didn't have a heavy Spanish accent. Don't know if that counts for anything, but it is interesting to me.

I've never been to #1 China (even though I used to live in the N. Main area). I'll try it next time I'm in town.

Two other great places that would be good for Greenville:

Pot Belly Sandwich Works has outstanding sandwiches. More or less would compete with McAlister's, though their sandwiches are quite different, and it would fit in well downtown.

Chipotle, a Moe's competitor, which is much better than Moe's. And I really like Moe's. I've only seen Chipotle in big cities, though, like Atl., Denver and D.C. I have never been served at any Chipotle by anyone who didn't have a heavy Spanish accent. Don't know if that counts for anything, but it is interesting to me.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I fell in love with Potbelly Sandwich Works while living in DC. I will refer people to them if they ever come to Greenville. They would definitely compete well with the other sub places, like Subway, Jersey Mike's, and Quizno's, as well as the deli-style places like Atlanta Bread Company and McAlister's. They are growing in DC, but to my knowledge they only exist in the DC metro area.

Chipotle would also be interesting. It is actually owned by McDonald's. The couple of times I have eaten at Chipotle, it didn't settle well with me. I prefer Baja Fresh. I would love for us to get one of those. Like Chipotle, and Moe's, it is sort of the in-between Mexican - better than Taco Bell, but still with a fast food feel (you don't feel like you are at Monterrey).

I fell in love with Potbelly Sandwich Works while living in DC.  I will refer people to them if they ever come to Greenville.  They would definitely compete well with the other sub places, like Subway, Jersey Mike's, and Quizno's, as well as the deli-style places like Atlanta Bread Company and McAlister's.  They are growing in DC, but to my knowledge they only exist in the DC metro area.

Chipotle would also be interesting.  It is actually owned by McDonald's.  The couple of times I have eaten at Chipotle, it didn't settle well with me.  I prefer Baja Fresh.  I would love for us to get one of those.  Like Chipotle, and Moe's, it is sort of the in-between Mexican - better than Taco Bell, but still with a fast food feel (you don't feel like you are at Monterrey).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, Potbelly is has locations from Minnesota to Manassas, with a few in TX, and their home office is in Chicago. Shouldn't be long before they discover the southeast, esp since everybody wants to be in Atl and Chlt. One of you entrepreneurs should try to get one here. If it were downtown, I guarantee it would rake in the cash, esp since it would complement the stores already there. It's different from Atl. Bread and Panera on the one hand, and McAlister's on the other.

Chipotle owned by Mickey D's? :blink: Who knew they could produce a product that actually appeals to the taste buds of someone over 15? :sick:

Anyone remember the Del Taco on Augusta Road south of I-85? That was good stuff.

Thanks for correcting me about Potbelly, Exile. I thought someone had told me that they were only in DC, but I am glad to hear that they are not that local. I would absolutely love to have one in the area, and I agree that it would do great business downtown. I love their desserts too! The ice cream sandwich, with their vanilla ice cream in-between two of their big cookies, is to die for! It is huge, and only a few dollars!

Brad Toy, I know there is/was a Potbelly Deli in Clemson in the shopping center just off of Wall Street (in the corner between 123 and College Avenune, behind the BB&T). It is not related to the Potbelly to which we are referring.

Thanks for correcting me about Potbelly, Exile.  I thought someone had told me that they were only in DC, but I am glad to hear that they are not that local.  I would absolutely love to have one in the area, and I agree that it would do great business downtown.  I love their desserts too!  The ice cream sandwich, with their vanilla ice cream in-between two of their big cookies, is to die for!  It is huge, and only a few dollars!

Brad Toy, I know there is/was a Potbelly Deli in Clemson in the shopping center just off of Wall Street (in the corner between 123 and College Avenune, behind the BB&T).  It is not related to the Potbelly to which we are referring.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh ya, now I remember that place.

BTW, if you check out the population numbers that Potbelly requires for their 1,2, and 3 miles radiuses, it is highly unlikely we will see one soon.

• 8 months later...

I am ready for Greenville to get a P.F. Chang's. I heard some people on here mention that they were possibly looking at Greenville as an option for the near future. How reliable is that information? I hope it's true. Knoxville, TN, Durham, NC, and Wichita, KS already have a P.F. Chang's, so why don't we? They do tend to be in or around bigger cities, though, and I think us getting one would represent our progression as a "rising star." B)

Thoughts? Opinions?

P.F. Chang's is nothing special. Just another chain restaurant. I prefer the Cricket BBQ. Are they still in business? Pete's hotdogs?

Archived