Pickens County Developments

GSP Tiger

Pickens County's population has been growing over the past couple years especially in the Easley/Powdersville and Central/Clemson areas. As the population grows, new developments come along. I figure it would be best to inquire what is being developed in Pickens County.

In Easley, there's the former Saco Lowell plant assumed to become a retail center. I'm wondering if it would be a lifestyle center like The Shops at Greenridge or a Wal-Mart Supercenter.

In between Clemson and Central, Ingle's is building their new 65,000 square foot store besides the current location. Assuming the old store is razed after the new store opens, I wonder if a strip center will be built in place of it.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is a rather large apartment complex going up in Central, about halfway inbetween Isaqueena Trail and "downtown."

There will probably be alot of shops opening up around the new Walmart off of 123 at the Central Exit... (Church St?).

To be honest, I would not be suprised if they just let the old Ingles sit and rot. It has happened at least 3 times that I can think of in Spartanburg. I'd rather use the WInn Dixie up the street anyway... but they won't be there for too much longer.

I wouldn't be suprised to see more redevelopment on 123 Easley. It seems like a random spattering of it has already occured.

Speaking of Easley, they have a nice view of the skyline from 123 just before you get on 153.

Clemson is going to bulid a few more parks, so I hear, and redo some other ones. They are also going to build the Gameday condo's somewhere... anyone know the location?

There are some really cool mixed use shops and apartments going up along Old Greenville Hwy near the Perimeter Rd. intersection in Clemson. If you find yourself in the area you should check these out.

I believe the road in Easley that Wal-Mart is on is called Pendleton Street. I didn't know that they are going to turn that into a Wal-Mart Supercenter. It should do well in Easley. It will also attract all of the people from Pickens who shop at the Easley Wal-Mart. LOL!

I also heard that the Saco Lowell site is going to be a mall, but I don't know exactly what that means. They could mean "mall" as in something like Greenville Mall, and they could also mean "mall" as in something like a strip mall. Either way, it is better than an old abandoned mill.

Easley seems to lag behind other Greenville suburbs in terms of development, and I think the thing that really hurts Easley is that you have to go through a not-so-great area of Greenville to get to Easley. Places like Greer and Mauldin funnel into a better side of Greenville than Easley does. Until the Easley Bridge Road/Academy area from Project Host Soup Kitchen to the double Clock Drive-Ins improves, it is going to be hard for Easley to benefit from all that Greenville has to offer. And it's not like 123 by-pass is the prettiest and most happening stretch of road either.

The Powdersville area, on the other hand, seems to be really growing and has become somewhat of a "bedroom community" for Greenville. In this case, the route to and from Greenville is much more pleasant (I-85) than with Easley.

Speaking of Perimeter Road, the stretch from Cherry Road out to US 76/SC 28 to four lanes will be widened by 2010. It will greatly help with gameday traffic.

Easley's existing Wal-Mart on Pendleton Street will not become a Supercenter. They already went one expansion a few years ago to meet up with the standard Wal-Mart store basics. Also, you have a Bi-Lo on the other end of the shopping center. Most of Easley's growth is on the eastside towards Greenville and Powdersville. One rumor I have heard is a Supercenter going up near the SC 153 overpass.

It will be great is something goes up at the former Saco Lowell. Before they build, they could improve US 123's intersection with Prince Perry and Rock Springs Roads. Prince Perry's bridge is designated to be replaced.

Speaking of Powdersville, I drive through there on a weekly basis and like how is has grown up in so many years. SC 81 has much construction ahead for the next couple of years as it's widened to four lanes upward to White Horse Road and downward to its intersection with Interstate 85. As the new Arcadia development emerges, SC 153 southward of 85 will see somethings going up, including an interchange upgrade.

Actually, I've heard very serious talk of Wal-Mart expanding their current store in Easley to become a Supercenter. In the past decade, Wal-Mart had toyed with the idea of building along 153 in Powdersville - even bought land at one point - but has since scrapped that idea. Back then, it was rumored that Sam's Club would go into the vacant Wal-Mart.

I've also heard that there may be a very large condominium/townhome complex coming to the property along I-85 where the new baseball stadium was proposed in Powdersville. :)

Acadia is actually along the Saluda River, just inside Greenville County. The property I'm referring to is on the southside of 153, bordering I-85 and Cooper Road. I don't know how much of the land is slated for residential, because I remember that it was planned to also include retail on that site.

That's good to hear that Wal-Mart has bought land for a new Supercenter in Easley. I haven't shopped at the other one in many years because it didn't impress me anymore. Come to think of it, I don't really shop at Wal-Mart anywhere unless I have to. :)

An article in today's Greenville News speaks of a couple BIG road developments for Easley/Powdersville and the rest of Pickens County.

Easley Bypass Article

The first is one I had previously mentioned. The second is one I've never heard of, but sounds great for travelers to Clemson.

New Road Projects in the planning stages

• 153 extension to 183

• Easley bypass from Powdersville to Liberty (close to 178 @ 123)

B)

Acadia is actually along the Saluda River, just inside Greenville County.  The property I'm referring to is on the southside of 153, bordering I-85 and Cooper Road.  I don't know how much of the land is slated for residential, because I remember that it was planned to also include retail on that site.

That's good to hear that Wal-Mart has bought land for a new Supercenter in Easley.  I haven't shopped at the other one in many years because it didn't impress me anymore.  Come to think of it, I don't really shop at Wal-Mart anywhere unless I have to. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I totally agree about avoiding Wal-Mart. I much prefer Target, even if it is perhaps slightly more. It is worth it to me, just to not have to deal with Wally World. :D

[*]153 extension to 183

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

SC 153's northern extension cannot come at a better time. While thoughts of extending it to SC 183 are fresh, SC 183 itself could use a major makeover. There's been talk about widening it to a four lane road from US 25 to Pickens. I'm sure Sen. Larry Martin is aware of this.

[*]Easley bypass from Powdersville to Liberty (close to 178 @ 123)

B)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Your second one is the Powdersville-Liberty "connector". I assume it will be a four-lane divided highway. Should it become reality, it should be extended northward of Liberty to serve as a new truck route for US 178.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Don't know if this is posted elsewhere, but anyone hear about the planned development in Easley, just past the intersection with 153/123. They are planning a 4-500k shopping center similar in scope to Cherrydale. They are trying to annex the land into the city.

Yes, we had a discussion about it in the Easley/Powdersville developments thread, which is in the Greenville forum. ;)

There is a rather large apartment complex going up in Central, about halfway inbetween Isaqueena Trail and "downtown."

There will probably be alot of shops opening up around the new Walmart off of 123 at the Central Exit... (Church St?).

To be honest, I would not be suprised if they just let the old Ingles sit and rot. It has happened at least 3 times that I can think of in Spartanburg. I'd rather use the WInn Dixie up the street anyway... but they won't be there for too much longer.

I wouldn't be suprised to see more redevelopment on 123 Easley. It seems like a random spattering of it has already occured.

Speaking of Easley, they have a nice view of the skyline from 123 just before you get on 153.

Clemson is going to bulid a few more parks, so I hear, and redo some other ones. They are also going to build the Gameday condo's somewhere... anyone know the location?

There are some really cool mixed use shops and apartments going up along Old Greenville Hwy near the Perimeter Rd. intersection in Clemson. If you find yourself in the area you should check these out.

You're quite right, there is a very nice view of Greenville's skyline from Hwy. 123, there is also a great view, imo, of the mountains to the west from Hwy. 153 just before you exit onto Hwy. 123.

:angry: A cell phone company is trying to put a 120 foot tower (was proposed at 180 ft) on Table Rock so that people can receive better reception. I am sorry, but if you want to talk on the cell phone, DON"T GO TO THE MOUNTAINS! "Getting away from it all" is one of the main reasons people go there at all. I hope our state and region fights this one. It is really a shame people will not leave NATURAL beauty alone, just look at the top of Paris Mtn. Luckily Pickens Co residents are fighting. Any thoughts?

Archived