Visions for Tallahassee

ironchapman

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like you Iron!! Great topic.

Wow! Where do I start. If I were in charge around here I'd probably do away with high limitations in the downtown area. I'd complete Capital Circle 100% before starting any new road projects. I'd put the new performing arts center at the intersection of Tennessee and Monroe, and I'd also improve that intersection to make for better flow of traffic. I'd probably bury Tennessee underground at that point to allow both directions free flow.

Wow! What else? I'd install land scaped medians along each major roadway in town and ensure that grass on public property is maintained at all times. I-10 would have a spur route to the south side of town, and I'd do everything possible to convert Tallahassee Regional into Tallahassee International and give the Airport facility a major makeover.

I'd push for rebuilding the Tallahassee Raceway and the Tallahassee Antique car museum at the same location on DeVoe Moore's property at I-1o and Mahan. And if I were rich enough I'd push to create a Resevouir (Artificial River) and Water Park in the City's North East. Why the north east??? Because I'd also pave my way to the Gulf of Mexico from south of Town to create pristene Tallahassee area beaches and resorts.

Whats also important is that we have more Golf Courses throughout our community, so I'd offer incentive packages for Developments like Southwood that have PGA style courses... because we all know Golf courses attract retirees.

Thats all of the vision I'd like to share at this point. Man that was fun!

Tennessee and Monroe is the Junction of two of the busiest roads in town and its a normal intersection... a block... and traffic doesn't flow smoothly here. Something just needs to be done to smooth traffic flow or at least give the street a wider feel. It is def. at capacity so something creative will need to be done.

I give some brief ones...

*Continue building roads like they do now. Tally does great here.

*Make Gaines Street into a Franklin Street in Chapel Hill (implemention key)

*Work to make sure FAMU & FSU reach their potential (which neither are doing now). This is key to decent paying jobs in the area.

*Protect the trees in Tally. Don't forget where you come from. Also add a few parks near downtown.

*Improve permitting process and other business concerns of the area.

*Put the PACs at Gaines Street area or Civic Center. Make sure that this project is university friendly.

*Push to move all state offices to the Southwood complex and make sure that property that is freed up is used efficiently.

*work closely with St Joe to bring jobs to the area. IE try something different that has been tried. St Joe has publically state frustration with the COT on this issue (as St Joe wants to bring high paying jobs to the area also) feeling they were inefficient at best.

*Plan for development. This is often said and rarely done.

WHOA! Do you seriously want to push all state offices to the Southwood Complex?

What would that do for our downtown.. a vacant Capitol Building, a vacant Education Building, a Vacant Pepper Building, and all of the other several dozen of state buildings downtown? Who or what would occupy that vacated space? If anything I'd hope you'd reverse this movement away from the City's core.

WHOA! Do you seriously want to push all state offices to the Southwood Complex?

What would that do for our downtown.. a vacant Capitol Building, a vacant Education Building, a Vacant Pepper Building, and all of the other several dozen of state buildings downtown? Who or what would occupy that vacated space? If anything I'd hope you'd reverse this movement away from the City's core.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yea I am not for that idea of moving "all" the state offices to the Southwood complex but just a few. I mean it will be a good thing to get rid of some the state offices downtown for private development but not all. I could never ever see the capitol building go. I won't even entertain that thought.

I won't entertain the thought of moving anymore departments from the downtown. Downtown has suffered as much drain as it can take. Tallahassee is a Capital City and should have its Government present in the downtown area. If we want to free up room for private investment, I propose building another Education building for some of the state agencies in so-called "White Elephant" Buildings. This would free up these spaces for redevelopment while allowing us to retain our human captial/jobs/agencies in the downtown area.

• 2 months later...

I have to honestly say, almost all of the things that I believed needed to be improved to tallahassee, are in the process as we speak. i tip my hat off to the current commission. We needed a wider capital circle, and its coming. The Airport needed renovations, Done. We needed to develop our downtown! in the process of about 8 high rises!!!! SUITE JOB TALLY!

If i think about it, what can i not do in tally that i could in another city and almost nothing comes to mind.... We lack a theme park, yes but we have outstanding sports facilities. We have golf courses, we have the beach 30 minutes away, we have th capital.. We have canopy roads! we have excellent cell phone service**** a personal favorite of mine :)

I think this commission is doing an outstanding job. nobody is perfect, but our downtown is going up and the city is expanding, through a well planned, smart growth plan. We dont have huge sections of town where stuff is rundown to just build a new plaza, we have excellent urban infill.

A lot of places have more entertainment attractions IE (orlando) but i dont want that in my city. it attracts tons of unwanted traffic and congestion.

In the next 5-10 years My vision will be executed.

We will attract new large private business with new office space and condos downtown, our location is perfect off of the freeway, plus we are in a safe zone as far as hurricanes. No im not jinxing us, but look at a map from the past hundred years and very few hurricanes have come by our area, we may see some business relocate just because of hurricanes. They got devastated time and time again in pensacola and want a new safer location.

Anyhow. everything will work out, go Tally. :D

I have to honestly say, almost all of the things that I believed needed to be improved to tallahassee, are in the process as we speak. i tip my hat off to the current commission. We needed a wider capital circle, and its coming. The Airport needed renovations, Done. We needed to develop our downtown! in the process of about 8 high rises!!!! SUITE JOB TALLY!

If someone here sees Preludesh, please hug him for me! I couldn't agree with you more. I absolutely think everything you said there was right on the mark.

We asked for a more vibrant downtown and we're getting it. Consequently (good) we may be getting more than we expected!

We asked for a better airport... and its on the way. Matter of fact, St. Joe has an industrial site already prepared for the airport area, ready to house a community of companies looking to locate near the airport. The updates done to the facility are great. I'd like to see a little more flair on the outside, but we can only do so much at once. Many people like to talk about Tallahassee's airport, "its small", "it looks like a house"... well I tell you... there is no better place to fly out of in the country. I think we have the most comfortable, cozy little airport in all of America. Just like Tallahassee, it's just right, and getting better.

The bus system, a new concern of mine, is on its way to some major changes, as soon as the renissance plan is completed. I'm excited to see what our new director and his staff have prepared for us.

Additionally, we've got widening of I-10 thru Tallahassee underway. If only we could get an exit at Mission, Meridian, and Centerville Roads. The Capital Circle Exit is finally underway, and Tallahassee will be getting its second flyover as a part of this widning. Exciting thing this is.

A major desire of mine is to see Capital Circle completed. And I want it to happen within the next 10 years. I don't want to be 40 years old still talking about this road... lets get it done.

Mahan Drive will be widened from Dempsy Mayo to I-10 also. So as you can see... our fair city is coming together in very desirable ways.

I love this new neighborhood renissance program we have, which includes enhancements to infrastructure such as roads, sidewalks, and ditches, in addition to the installation of Community houses in several low income neighborhoods to help bridge the digital divide.

Look at our schools in Leon County, what better place is there to raise a kid? I'll tell you, as a child, I had to be reminded that Tallahassee had universities, this college life is a whole new world, and it has nothing on my experiences as a child growing up. Tallahassee students have it good, access to some of the best new teaching talent in America, in addition to having some of the best facilities in the state, and with the new half penny tax, they are going to get even better.

When some person from out of town asks me, "How did you grow up here" as if Tallahassee is supossed to be some hell hole, I say, "quite nicely". Many people posess an ignorace about our community that the Univeristy corner won't allow them to overcome. This is why improving ths West side, specifically the Southwest side of town which is occupied by all of the major area colleges is a growing priority to me. I'd like to see each corner of it better reflect the fact that the SW quadrant of Tallahassee is Univeristy friendly.

The reason why im doubting you is.... I read in the traffic doctor, that the project was delayed until june of next year because the contractor is still getting the right of way...... So if they are starting now, that is wonderful!... The CAP circel/ thomasville road intersection is gonna be sick!!! plan calls for like 2 or 3 overpasses and ramps that go into the air!!

the capital cirlce drive to thomasville road is really impressive right now as is... and the crane near the overpass of I10 and thomav seems really tall... how tall are the buildings in that plaza going to be?! I love the un-opposing buildings streetsched out just beyond cap cir... i want to have my own little helicopter to ride in!!!! I want to explore!!

^It might be that high altitude perspective. I think people will stop and take a look if they see something beautiful and clean, which is what Tallahassee is and will always be, as long is there is breath in this body and batteries in my camera. :D

I think its going to take developing exit 31 and 28 the way we've developed 29 and 30 that will make people want to stop. Our exits are so far spaced that those two may seem to be our only ones. I say install some landscaping along the flanks of the exit bridges, and maybe a little wading pond for the ducks and we've got it going on.

Archived