Visions for Tallahassee

ironchapman

If you compare what Bill Law has done for our community as opposed to T.K. there really is no comparison. Yes, I know that Law is President of a Community College and therefore he should be more involved in the community, but T.K. has acted more like a road block to "town & gown" progress. If you watch the news regularly or read the paper, you'll see Law all over the community working hard for us and believing in us while all I ever see is T.K. do is just threaten law suits and beat his chest. I wish we had more Bill Law's in town.

As for FAMU, the best thing I think they can do right now for our community is to get their own house in order first. Once that is accomplished, then they can work on outreach.

Those are my thoughts exactly... I know I run the risk of making this sound like a "groupthink" but its true. Law has done quite a bit to bridge gaps in this community... not just in Tallahassee but he's helping to bring the metro together. Look at the reachout in the surrounding counties with Wakulla and Gadsden Counties offering up TCC courses. Look at the campus downtown to provide state workers with some training. How about TCC supporting economic development by offering discount training incentives to companies looking to relocate. How about Law's ability to balance Economic Development Council job AND job as TCC president. How about TCC's continued expansion and growth in student population and popularity in general throughout the community and the state.

TK used to be the President of TCC and I don't remember him being as involved. Of course I was much younger back then and didn't care as much about our colleges and universities, but I'm sure if something were major I'd remember it. I've heard TK complain about Tallahassee almost since the day he became President of the University... almost as if this is Gainesville and FSU is the center of life in this city. Many of us here, including myself, love FSU, I bleed Garnet and Gold and consider myself a die-hard loyalist, but I'm not blind. FSU is NOT a city within a city, its a University. FSU already gets very favorable rates for utility usege, but if it wants to tackle its own power generation and utility needs, its own mass transit needs, its own football game security/road closure/stadium driving building/Pensacola Street re-routing needs... be my guest. I can see why FSU has been second fiddle to UF these past few years, I can see why schools like UCF have outgrown us, its out leadership and attitude.

FSU should be the Gentle University, with a Gentleman as its President. We are too refined for these types of games and tactics against our community. What ever happened to Tallahassee's famous Southern Hospitality and brotherly love? This City and University share a wonderful past. There's no reason for FSU to try to isolate itself from the rest of Tallahassee in an attempt to outdo UF. FSU is not UF... doesn't need to be UF... we're better off not thinking about UF. Once TK starts to realize this, I think he'll become more intune with the focus of this community.

The State of Florida, the City of Tallahassee, Leon County, Tallahassee Community College, Florida A&M, Florida State University and local business leaders ALL need to sit their happy selves down and think out the future of this city TOGETHER! Do we want to be stagnant, or to grow into a well coordinated, midsized oasis. We should set goals for Tallahassee, from companies it wants to recruit, industries it wants to tackle and figure out what we are good at, and do it better than anyone else! Its time for us to become a household name in the business community. Tallahassee is in the position to contribute greatly to the betterment of our consumption driven society.

We need to get busy, working toward the same goals. This entire community would be so much better for it... seriously! Can you imagine all of these institutions above, and lets even throw in the surrounding counties, all working together to build up the roads, to clean up neighborhoods, to promote the area as a high-tech sector, to provide incentives for companies to come here, to bring in cultural attractions and pass more uniform laws that provide for the ease of doing business throughout the area? That's how you become an Austin Texas or a Durham, North Carolina.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Technically, FSU is the backbone of this community. FSU is directly or indirectly involved in many of the community's matters. I think FSU's problem with COT is that COT wants to put their $.02 in every little thing, where sometimes it's not asked for.

Surely you'll have to give an example or be more specific if you're going to say something like this.

• 11 months later...

I like to look at other Capital Cities and wonder if/when we will catch up culturally. I would like to see the following in Tallahassee:
  1. World Class Zoo -- (Emphasis on Florida Wildlife)

2. World Class Aquarium -- (Emphasis on Florida Aquatic Wildlife)

3. World Class Museums featuring Florida Art/Photography/History/Science/Architecture/Politics

4. World Class Florida Children's Hospital

5. Florida Music Hall of Fame

6. Florida Transportation Museum

7. Florida Military History Museum

These are basic things one should find in their Capital City, IMHO. What do you guys think?

Also, I would like to see Tallahassee become a true destination for the citizens of Florida and the Southeast Region. There are all kinds of events that can be held here that would draw visitors and tourists and help build Tallahassee's image nationally.

1. International Arts Festival

2. International Auto Show and Parade

3. International Film Festival

4. Southeast Balloon Festival

5. Capital City NHRA Sanctioned Drag Racing Motor Speedway

6. National Tour Golf Tournament (Southwood)

7. World class Water park / Sports Park

If we think outside the box, I know we could all brainstorm and come up with plenty more ideas. :thumbsup:

Our Urban Planet forum could be the launching point for a top 50 ideas list for help in making the Tallahassee Metro raise our quality of life quotient. The quality of life quotient is good for attracting top employees (i.e. Professors --- FSU,FAMU, TCC) and securing new business relocations, and generating tourists.

We could submit such a document to city and county leadership by asking to included on their meeting agenda. Hopefully, they can then tell us who the people are that can take our ideas further and make it a reality. One can expect little success this route.

However, if the ideas we present are to implemented, it would probably be done through individual heroic efforts by citizens who seize on one of the ideas and dedicates themselves to making it happen. (i.e. Red Hills Horse Trials) (I think that what the equestrian event is called) It was individual efforts that made this a success until the city saw the light and is now making it an annual event fully supported by the city. Therefore, we could utilize every Tallahassee Area magazine, neighborhood website /blog, newsletters, newspapers, to get the ideas out to the general public.

The great thing about vision is that we are able to enable others to see possibilities. That's the beauty of this forum!

Archived