Midtown Tallahassee

Florida

Midtown Tallahassee

"A Hidden Treasure"

gallery_3748_6_2123.jpg

Seems in recent years, the area between Downtown and Beton Hills has undergone quite a transformation. Its not certain if this transformation was sparked by the rehabilitation of the Los Robles gate, the re-configuration of the 5 points intersection, or the presence of fine dining and beautiful homes, but one thing is certain, one of Tallahassee's best kept secrets is being discovered all over again and so far people are enjoying what it has to offer.

This thread will be dedicated to informing our online Audience of all of the Greatness going on in Midtown Tallahassee.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are a lot of hidden treasures in Tallahassee! Everyday when I walked down High Rd. to my school (Amos P. Godby) I could not help but to notice this neighborhood that expands on both sides of this portion of High. The houses in this area are under big towereing oaks that provides shade when its really hot. I don't know if this neighborhood has a name or not but I call it "High hills." This area has numerous hills that go up and down. I love to jog in this neigboborhood makes you want to explore the other things this neighborhood has to offer. Hopefully when I get my cam for my B-day I will provide pics of this neighborhood.

• 2 years later...

midtown-park-logo.gif

midtown-park-home-feature.gif

Located in the heart of Tallahassee's thriving Midtown District, Midtown Park offer's brand new craftsman style homes for the in town lifestyle. Midtown Park is being developed near the corridor of 7th ave and Thomasville road which offers residents the ability to walk to the neighboring park or bike to one of the many close restaurants. We are pleased to give you a presentation now to help show you our vision of this neighborhood in the future.

• Craftsmen Style Architecture

Well my bad FL, I've never seen this thread and never even thought to search it out. Glad to know it's here.

The Grove is at 7th and Duval I believe and just before you enter the Levy Park neighborhood. It has the same builders as the Cloisters in All Saints.

Midtown Park is new to me. I'll have to drive up there and see what it's all about. I know the communal village (about 8 homes) of Daystar is in that area....think behind Miracle 5 a few blocks. I see that M. Mastry is the realtor, I wonder who the builder is?

So what are we calling the boundaries of Midtown? I know there's a Midtown merchants association, I'm not sure what their physical boundaries are.

Kents! Thanks FF, I figured you might know. Glad to know you appreciate the something even though it's not your cup of tea. Good quality to have.

NtT, yeah my bad about no including Paradise, it does bring in the crowds. I didn't really forget those places on N. Monroe, I just generalized them by saying bars and cafes on N. Monroe. In that area it would include:

Cluster and Hops

Masa

Cafe Cab

Decent Pizza

Fusions/Tantra

Bella Bella

Brueggers

Whatever it is that is moving into the old Dunkin Donuts currently

Bamboo House

And Leon Pub.

Have I forgotten anything?

In the list above, I was just doing the Monroe Corridor. Where ever I was listing T'ville business, I just stated Manor at Midtown as an all-inclusive category, however Rodizio's definitely counts.

Thanks for the Midtown map FL. I understand that was done from a Biz Association's viewpoint, but please pass the bong b/c whoever drew up that map was smokin' some killer stuff. Woodgate is NOT midtown, nor is Hermitage Blvd or areas east of Magnolia. No no no!

I'd put the north boundary as Betton/Bradford (and I'm being gracious there), the west boundary as Bronough and the Levy Park 'hood, the south boundary as Tennessee Street and the east boundary as Magnolia. These are natural boundaries and your "sense of place" changes as you enter these areas. Beyond these boundaries, the housing-stock changes significantly (gets a lot newer) and even the street lay-out changes from the old grid system to a more contemporary meandering system. Keeping this in mind, the area pretty much defines itself.

Woodgate in Midtown, now I'm gonna be laughing at that thought every time I drive "way-out" there. :)

You are right psycuda that would include Black Dog too and The Golden "Pig-out Trough" as well as On The Border and all the places in The Lake Ella Publix Plaza, if you go by the map. But for some reason I don't include those areas in Midtown either. Lake Ella is sorta part of Midtown but also part of that Mid-Monroe/Tharpe area too and the Mid-Monroe/Tharpe designation is where I'd put the businesses on Monroe north of 7th. However I would keep the houses west of Monroe in Levy Park in Midtown. On T'ville road, I'd rather the division be at 7th, but there I could see extending it to Betton/Bradford. It does get confusing and there's really no correct answer.

BTW how much longer are you in town?

FL, I could see the southern boundary as Brevard instead of Tenn. So then are you calling those areas south of Brevard in the downtown? And does that downtown designation include the housing in Lafayette Park that is south of Brevard to Tenn.?

You are right psycuda that would include Black Dog too and The Golden "Pig-out Trough" as well as On The Border and all the places in The Lake Ella Publix Plaza, if you go by the map. But for some reason I don't include those areas in Midtown either. Lake Ella is sorta part of Midtown but also part of that Mid-Monroe/Tharpe area too and the Mid-Monroe/Tharpe designation is where I'd put the businesses on Monroe north of 7th. However I would keep the houses west of Monroe in Levy Park in Midtown. On T'ville road, I'd rather the division be at 7th, but there I could see extending it to Betton/Bradford. It does get confusing and there's really no correct answer.

BTW how much longer are you in town?

FL, I could see the southern boundary as Brevard instead of Tenn. So then are you calling those areas south of Brevard in the downtown? And does that downtown designation include the housing in Lafayette Park that is south of Brevard to Tenn.?

The original site plan proposal for the old Texaco at 6th/T'ville read as follows:

Sixth and Thomasville Road Retail/Office (TSP070045) (21-25-51-000-0010) located on 0.56-acre on the SW corner of E. Sixth Ave. and Thomasville Road. The proposed project is the demolition of the existing gas station and the construction of a two story, 8,995 SF retail/office center. The property is zoned CU (Central Urban)

However now they are coming in asking for the following:

Sixth and Thomasville Road Retail (TSP070074) (21-25-51-000-0010) located on 0.56-acre at 1240 Thomasville Road. The proposed project is the demolition of the existing gas station and the construction of a two story,12,000 square foot retail center. The property is zoned CU (Central Urban).

The changes seem to be for approx. 3K more sq. ft and now they are calling the project a retail center only (they dropped the office part.) So that seems to tell us that NtT was correct, VISIT FL may have dropped out of this project?

I have a slight problem w/second story retail. It's a very hard sell and doesn't always work that well. It works OK at Betton Place and Market Square but even at those successful centers, there always seem to be high turn-over or vacanies on the 2nd floor. IMHO I think they'd be smarter to continue the 2nd floor as office space and keep the bttm as retail.

Archived