Midtown Tallahassee

Florida

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two projects are up for pre-submittal review at COT on 6.12 and both are in the Midtown area:

Pre-Submittal

1. Rugs and More (TPA080050) (11-30-30- D-0140 & D-0150) located on 0.21-acre at 1553 Colonial Drive. The proposed project is the construction of a 1750 square foot retail building with parking. The property is zoned C-2 (General Commercial).

This parcel is east side of T'ville road just south of Miracle 5 Shopping Center. I noticed this parcel sold about a year ago and was wondering what would be constructed there. I think the parcel includes the existing house on the property. I'm just curious why do they need to go to the expense to build a new building when so much vacant shopping center space already exist right next door at Miracle 5 Shopping Center and across the street at Capitol Plaza? I'm sure visibility will be much greater here.

Pre-Submittal

2. Thomasville Road Commercial Development (TPA080051) (11-30-39- A-0120 & 11-30-20-304-0000) located on 0.69-acre on the east side of Thomasville Road, approximately 150 feet south of 7th Avenue. The proposed project is the construction of a 7,500 square foot retail/commercial center. The property is zoned CU (Central Urban).

This is the vacant parcel south of 7th just and south of the little yellow buildings. Before this lot was slated for condos, not sure what happened there. There use to sit a really nice Spanish Style home on this property. I went in it when they were having an estate sale. I was said to see this home go and even more sad to see it sit as a vacant parcel. Hopefully something will be built soon.

It appears that Kool Beanz has begun their small expansion to the back of the restaurant. They've cleared the brush behind the restaurant and I've notice a permit box back there. Did we ever figure out just exactly what they are adding on?

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a little info. I got from my neighborhood association about the Kool Beanz expansion:

"They said they're building a storage area in back that will be accessible through the kitchen. On the side they're adding forty outdoor seats, which I assume will be around seven or eight tables worth. And they said no music or drinking. They said they only have a wine and beer license and have no intention of applying for a liquor license."

The part about the liquor license has to do w/Lafayette Park's problems w/loud music and parking. Since I'm on the board, I got involved in the situation until I found out that several complaints about the loud music came in at 2pm in the afternoon. :wacko:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

ANOTHER UP-TALLY EXCLUSIVE

Another new eating place for Midtown. The owners of the Winery in Midtown plan to take over the empty bay next-door to them (where the art gallery use to be) and put in a Tapas type restaurant. They will put a door/entrance between the wine bar and the restaurant so you don't have to go outdoors.

Now who says drinkin' doesn't pay? :)

Yeah I definitely agree that Midtown has become the destination area for Tally. However it's not the same market that Gaines is hoping to attract. Midtown is more "yuppy-ish" and that isn't the market Gaines will go after. So I believe there is room for both entertainment areas in our fair city.

The growth of Midtown is starting to cause some problems. The NIMBY's in my 'hood are starting to yell about the noise and parking problems. Being on the board of my local neighborhood association, I'm trying to help calm their fears down and plan to work w/the Midtown Biz Association w/these problems: parking, noise and most of all pedestrian cross-walks/safety.

Once the Orleans building comes into play along w/the new restaurant/wine bar up more toward 7th in addition to the new Tapas bar and the expansion of Kool Beanz (which I am told will open up next month) parking is going to be at a premium in the area. I wonder if COT built a parking garage in the area if that would solve the problem and if it would be profitable for COT. I'm not sure b/c I always walk to the area. Any thoughts about the parking? And where would they put it? I ask this B/C as parking gets worse, the surrounding 'hoods are gonna start screaming.

• 1 month later...

Archived