I-84 Hartford- Providence Connection

Recchia

Do you think they should have kept the plans for Interstate 84 to run from Hartford to Providence  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think they should have kept the plans for Interstate 84 to run from Hartford to Providence

• Yes
    • No

We're not doing this again are we? Anyway I think a connection would be good for both cities as Hartford is a major center of business and Providence is a nice city. It would also establish a more direct link to Westchester County from RI.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

To be honest, I really don't see any reason to pave more land for cars. I'm never a proponent of building highways. :sick: The days of connecting Providence and Hartford are gone and should never be brought up again. I say this because it would cost billions of dollars to build and I think the money could be spent much more wisely by both states and/or the federal government elsewhere.

Besides, from what I understand it was Rhode Island's issues with the Scituate Reservoir that finally killed the project, but it seems like the most vocal opposition to the project came from residents of Eastern Connecticut. Clearly people in both states didn't want it. Providence already is benefiting from the big boys of Boston and New York which we already have good connections with by multiple lane asphalt zones.

Now, if you told me that you wanted to connect Providence and Hartford by train, I'd be somewhat interested. :) Hmmm, think I'm biased or anything? ;)

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think they should connect it both ways. I've had to go to Providence for various reasons over the years, and people have come to visit me from Providence, and it's a pain-in-the-ass, plain and simple. NIMBY's always want to block something, anything from going on, but they forget that 10, 20, 30 years ago, their own houses didn't even exist, but it's ok for them, but not for anyone else. I think a highway would be great for both cities, with a rail-line splitting it down the middle. Then Baines can come visit his favorite city every weekend.

It would also establish a more direct link to Westchester County from RI.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Having grown up in the Westchester County, NY area, I can't think of a single reason why we'd need better access to it here in RI. Plus, we already have excellent access to Westchester and lower New York State (I-95 to lower Westchester, Amtrak, Greyhound, Peter Pan, and I-84->691->9->95). That's where my parents live, and I can do the trip in a little over 2 and 1/2 hours. My sister takes the bus there all the time. A direct Hartford to Providence link wouldn't shorten that at all.

No, I don't think the highway (or even a rail) link is a good idea. Is there a rail link from Hartford to NH? Regionally, all one would need to do would be to take the train from Providence to NH, and then NH up. It would beat mowing down a zillion acres of already vanishing forest to build more rails or roads.

- Garris

• 5 weeks later...

Take a look at this sign on 287 North in North-Central New Jersey.

87-84on287n.jpg

If we had the connection it would be faster. Driving back from Harrisburg, PA, I used 81-78-287-95. Stopped Traffic from Tappan Zee Approach to Westchester. In Stamford Connecticut, an automated sign notified me traffic was backed up for 24 miles. More traffic in Bridgeport, New Haven, Groton-New London, Providence... Result- 7 hours and 45 minutes of driving. I could have gone 87-84, around Hartford and used the "New 84"

If we had the connection it would be faster. Driving back from Harrisburg, PA, I used 81-78-287-95. Stopped Traffic from Tappan Zee Approach to Westchester. In Stamford Connecticut, an automated sign notified me traffic was backed up for 24 miles. More traffic in Bridgeport, New Haven, Groton-New London, Providence... Result- 7 hours and 45 minutes of driving. I could have gone 87-84, around Hartford and used the "New 84"

Ugh, I hate driving through Connecticutt. My brother lives in New Jersey so I've had to often enough, it could take anywhere from 3 hours flat (all the way to Newark), or over 6.5 hours. From New Haven all the way over the Tappan Zee and down the Garden State, its one huge pile up any time but overnight.

84 now is a good way to get from NYC to Boston, but I don't know if it really would help Providence in that sense. Having a direct connection to Hartford though would help ease some of the traffic in eastern Conn though.

Ugh, I hate driving through Connecticutt. My brother lives in New Jersey so I've had to often enough, it could take anywhere from 3 hours flat (all the way to Newark), or over 6.5 hours. From New Haven all the way over the Tappan Zee and down the Garden State, its one huge pile up any time but overnight.

84 now is a good way to get from NYC to Boston, but I don't know if it really would help Providence in that sense. Having a direct connection to Hartford though would help ease some of the traffic in eastern Conn though.

That's why I only drive through that area between 10pm - 4am.

If you haven't before, try the Merritt Parkway from New Haven to the NY border. MUCH less traffic than 95 (and prettier too). I've never seen more than a slight backup on it, and I've driven it at all hours.

Take a look at this sign on 287 North in North-Central New Jersey.

87-84on287n.jpg

So what you are saying is that you would like to see a road constructed to save you a couple of hours on a trip you make maybe once, twice, but leaves decades suffering through landuse of strip malls, tract homes, and McMansions? Yep, makes sense to me... :rofl:

That road is a death trap!

As someone who drives the Merritt on a near daily basis I can assure everyone that this road is NOT a death trap - certainly no more so than I-95 through Bridgeport or Stamford. To get to NJ just cross over from I-95 to the Merritt (Ct Highway 15) at exit 38 or 39 (not sure which) and then stay on the Merritt all the way through to I-287 where you can get on the Tappan Zee.

While I will grant that the Merritt's lane's are a bit narrow compared to I-95, unless you're speeding at 85+mph, you shouldn't have any problem. At night its very dark (not many lights), so not very smart to speed if you're unfamiliar with the road.

• 3 months later...

As someone who drives the Merritt on a near daily basis I can assure everyone that this road is NOT a death trap - certainly no more so than I-95 through Bridgeport or Stamford. To get to NJ just cross over from I-95 to the Merritt (Ct Highway 15) at exit 38 or 39 (not sure which) and then stay on the Merritt all the way through to I-287 where you can get on the Tappan Zee.

While I will grant that the Merritt's lane's are a bit narrow compared to I-95, unless you're speeding at 85+mph, you shouldn't have any problem. At night its very dark (not many lights), so not very smart to speed if you're unfamiliar with the road.

The Merritt may be on the narrow side but once you cross into Westchester or the Bronx and you hit those older city parkways (Saw Mill, Bronx River, Sprain, and the Taconic) the Merritt will seem wide as can be. Being from NY with family there I too travel that way quite often and I opt fot the Merritt-Hutch everytime, great scenic ride.

Archived