Southern Connector/The Matrix

Greenville

I was just looking at the plans for Verdae, and it reminded me of the Southern Connector and The Matrix Business and Technology Park. As we all know, that has been a disappointment thus far and growth does not seem to be occurring at the rate they envisioned. I was pondering how something huge like Verdae would also be wonderful along the Southern Connector. It would certainly spur growth out that way.

Has anyone heard much about developments in that area? It sounded like a good idea, and I am optimistic that it will eventually fill in. It has to, simply because Greenville is growing and that is prime land. Are companies moving into The Matrix? Is it slowly but surely becoming what they envisioned? I certainly hope so.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Retailwise, Bi-Lo planned to build a food/pharmacy combo at Augusta @ Old Grove Road. The sign was up about two to three years ago, but it was removed to make way for the new four lane road. Bi-Lo still plans on building there, but how soon remains a question. Ingle's, the only supermarket serving Moonville and Piedmont, does great business despite being a very old store. I have heard its replacement is in the works.

So that could be a potential area for a new entrant into the Greenville market as well (e.g., Kroger).  Yes?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Greenville, I doubt Kroger would reenter the area anytime soon unless they acquired someone. All I know is that The Matrix will bring in new communities around Moonville and thus new retail possibilities.

Does anyone know how the Southern Connector is doing? are their traffic numbers up? I always wonder why it's not used they way it should be? it's seems like the perfect location and a great alternate route for anyone coming into downtown from the Golden Strip.

I came home from the beach yesterday and stopped at the rest stop on 385 in Laurens county. There was a map telling where we were and below it was an advertisment for people heading to Atlanta. It showing the Southern Connector and telling of it and why it should be used. I thought it was a great idea to be placed there and got to wondering how it was doing...

Does anyone know how the Southern Connector is doing? are their traffic numbers up? I always wonder why it's not used they way it should be? it's seems like the perfect location and a great alternate route for anyone coming into downtown from the Golden Strip.

I came home from the beach yesterday and stopped at the rest stop on 385 in Laurens county. There was a map telling where we were and below it was an advertisment for people heading to Atlanta. It showing the Southern Connector and telling of it and why it should be used. I thought it was a great idea to be placed there and got to wondering how it was doing...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As a toll road, the Southern Connector is just making enough money to get by.  Traffic is very light at most times.  I assume not many people around here like toll roads, but ist is one alternative to help pay off road construction.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The route is great, the price is not. It costs $1 at each toll booth for a grand total of $2 to drive through the whole thing. I was on it during rush hour and traffic was light at best. I think there was only one instance where I was unable to pass. I remember hearing a few months back (it may have been a year at this point) that the Southern Connector was running below their projected income, which is why they raised rates to $1.

Over all traffic and revenues are increasing though. Traffic has increased around 19% since it opened. Check out this link to see the stats on that. It is my impression that the increase is alower than expected.

Does anyone know if they will discontinue the tolls after they pay off the road?

Does anyone know if they will discontinue the tolls after they pay off the road?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hope so, but that decision is probably left up to the DOT and/or the General Assembly. If the state needs to generate funds for improving roads via toll roads, then they would keep it. If they can find dunds elsewhere, then demolish the toll plazas.

Even before the Southern Connector was built, I knew it was a big mistake. The revenues are well below the projections and the reserves are being eroded. The bonds will more than likely be defaulted on.

If someone would post a map of the connector and the adjoining interstates routes, it is blatently obvious that the route was designed to 1) create a loop around southern Greenville and 2) maximize frontage. It was NOT designed to maximize the reduction of travel distances. That is way so few people use it. I-385 is close to a "straight shot" to downtown, that ridiculous connector takes the "around the elbow" route to downtown. The objective SHOULD have been to expedite the route of Atlanta-bound travelers heading North on 385 and vice versa. The road should have run a straight line across to Piedmont from I-385.

The only other toll road is at Hilton Head. It DOES shorten the route of thousands of residents. Which is why it is meeting it's revenue requirements. I'm sure the wealthy income level doesn't hurt either.

Once the construction on I-385 is complete, I expect the Southern Connector, or Waste-of -money connector as I call it, will be in even more dire straits.

Personally, given the additionally time spent to stop and pay the toll, I'm surprised the S. C. saves any time at all, assuming that the speed limit is observed. Has anyone ever timed it verses I-385?

Even before the Southern Connector was built, I knew it was a big mistake.

If someone would post a map of the connector and the adjoining interstates routes, it is blatently obvious that the route was designed to 1) create a loop around southern Greenville and 2) maximize frontage.  It was NOT designed to maximize the reduction of travel distances.  That is way so few people use it. I-385 is close to a "straight shot" to downtown, that ridiculous connector takes the "around the elbow" route to downtown.  The objective SHOULD have been to expedite the route of Atlanta-bound travelers heading North on 385 and vice versa.  The road should have run a straight line across to Piedmont from I-385. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOL, I think most people did :)

Here is your map from the connector's website:

maplg.gif

I thought the idea was to open up the southern end of Greenville for development. Were it not for this road, many people would probably never go down there.

I remember someone timed it when the Southern Connector just opened up, and it was not any faster to take the Connector than to take I-85 and I-385 to where the Connector meets I-385. I understand that it was built for development first and traffic management second, but it is going to be hard to encourage development if you don't have the traffic to support that development. Perhaps having a loop around southern Greenville will be needed as Greenville continues to grow, but it stinks that it seems to have been built too early. I don't think it is going to grow out that way until the road is no longer a toll road. Many other places with tolls are either the only realistic route, or cut off a lot of time. The Southern Connector is unfortunately neither. On top of that, tolls are not something most Southerners are used to paying and that is even more of a reason for many travelers to avoid it.

I hope so, but that decision is probably left up to the DOT and/or the General Assembly.  If the state needs to generate funds for improving roads via toll roads, then they would keep it.  If they can find dunds elsewhere, then demolish the toll plazas.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I may be wrong but I am pretty sure the southern connector was built with private money and not state, and is run as a private entity. Therefor toll decisions are not made by the General Assembly or based on what the state needs to do repairs elsewhere. But on what the company The Southern Connector needs to pay its dept service and upkeep the road.

I may be wrong but I am pretty sure the southern connector was built with private money and not state, and is run as a private entity.  Therefor toll decisions are not made by the General Assembly or based on what the state needs to do repairs elsewhere.  But on what the company The Southern Connector needs to pay its dept service and upkeep the road.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Assuming I'm correct, the Southern Connector is a private entity on contract with the state for twenty years. Once the contract expires, control of the Southern Connector will be deeded over to the state. It is at that time when whoever makes the decision to continue or discontinue the toll road.

State money was involved, but it was not the majority of the cost. The State Infrastructure Bank put in the money. The private company was hoping for a state-sponsored bail-out about a year ago. I think it fell on deaf ears, as it should have.

I remember someone timed it when the Southern Connector just opened up, and it was not any faster to take the Connector than to take I-85 and I-385 to where the Connector meets I-385.  I understand that it was built for development first and traffic management second, but it is going to be hard to encourage development if you don't have the traffic to support that development.  Perhaps having a loop around southern Greenville will be needed as Greenville continues to grow, but it stinks that it seems to have been built too early.  I don't think it is going to grow out that way until the road is no longer a toll road.  Many other places with tolls are either the only realistic route, or cut off a lot of time.  The Southern Connector is unfortunately neither.  On top of that, tolls are not something most Southerners are used to paying and that is even more of a reason for many travelers to avoid it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You don't need traffic for residential developments :)

Besides the new Woodmont High, are there any new communities going up around the West Georgia/Reedy Fork Roads area?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is this the school going up right along Interstate 85? IF so seems like awfully prime real estate for a school. I hope the land was donated, I would hate to hear that tax money was used to buy prime land with I-85 visibility. That is just to expensive for a school.

Is this the school going up right along Interstate 85?  IF so seems like awfully prime real estate for a school.  I hope the land was donated, I would hate to hear that tax money was used to buy prime land with I-85 visibility.  That is just to expensive for a school.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, that is the new Southside High School and Center for International Studies. I think the new Thomas Kerns Elementary is going up beside it.

• 1 year later...

Tonight on WYFF4--

There is a proposal for 180 homes on the Matrix land, but the land must be rezoned. BUT there's strong opposition.

Personally, I think that it should be rezoned. The current zoning has yet to produce lots of growth as it was intended. Why not try housing?

Tonight on WYFF4--

There is a proposal for 180 homes on the Matrix land, but the land must be rezoned. BUT there's strong opposition.

Personally, I think that it should be rezoned. The current zoning has yet to produce lots of growth as it was intended. Why not try housing?

I agree, GvilleSC. That area needs development badly. It would put more cars on the road, and hopefully help attract the industry they have been wanting there.

• 4 weeks later...

Tonight on WYFF4--

This is just now making the Greenville News.

Archived