Old Charlotte Convention Center June 25, 2005

monsoon

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great pictures, phart.

The old gal is finally coming down....end of a Charlotte era.

Factoid: that white brick is the same SouthPark white brick (now only left on Dillard's). Mayor Belk loved the stuff so much that he wanted the Civic Center (wasn't called Convention Center) to match his SouthPark store.

I'm still amazed that they brought down those pyramids in one piece, and basically in the same position they were when the building was intact. I'm also amazed that the 3 in the front were basically destroyed, while the ones in the rear look like they are just covered with a sheet of dust.

thanks for the photos! i can't believe the pyramids survived.

now that it is a pile of rubble, it will probably only take a few weeks to have the site cleared. I doubt we'll see construction activity, though, for a number of months.

I'd love to see them save one of the pyramids and do something else with it...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i agree. there are many places that could just have one installed at a park entrance or four installed on the corners of an intersection.

I also think they should salvage at least one of the pyramids. Hey, now that the arts budget has been slashed, maybe they could lay one down at one of the LRT stations instead.

Is it me, or does the top of the Odell Building look a little pyramidesque similar to one of the OCC pyramids? I was just thinking that because I believe Odell designed the OCC.

thanks for the photos!  i can't believe the pyramids survived.

now that it is a pile of rubble, it will probably only take a few weeks to have the site cleared.  I doubt we'll see construction activity, though, for a number of months.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

According to Gahzi (article in Sunday Observer business section), construction will get underway immediately.

He said one reason they delayed implosion was because of a delay in the EpiCentre...and he didn't want an empty hole in the ground for 60-90 days (a la Dee Dee).

• 3 weeks later...

A great editorial. If you're able to view the slideshow accompanied by his voiceover, do it. The way we always tear old buildings down and build new ones often makes me wonder. How will people in the future view us? We go crazy digging up ruins of past civilizations to learn how they lived. But will we have any ruins for archaelogists to look at 500 years from now? I guess you could say that our technology has improved so much that we don't need ruins. All of our buildings are recorded on the internet and in books, cds, dvds, etc. but it's one thing to look at a picture of the past, another to be able to be in the past and walk through the remains of a civilzation long past.

Archived