>> Providence South Neighborhoods

Cotuit

lots of cities in CT had the same problems RI had. they were mill towns and when the mills went out of business, things went downhill fast and many have yet to recover. willimantic, norwich, and waterbury (and most of the valley region of CT along with it) are good examples of that.

Derby as well...

- Garris

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

derby, naugatuck, shelton, oxford, seymour, and there's probably more... those are the valley towns (the valley is the housatonic valley) i was referring to. they've all seen better days.

Sounds a lot like the Blackstone Valley in MA and RI. Are any of those CT towns showing signs of life?

Sounds a lot like the Blackstone Valley in MA and RI. Are any of those CT towns showing signs of life?

out of all of them, i think shelton is making the biggest strides. i used to work at seymour high school right before i moved to RI. it wasn't pretty. it wasn't that tough, but you could tell the students' families definitely did not come from money.

I know this is off topic for the S. Providence topic, but it's sad that CT hasn't really historically had a single "desirable" urban living space in well over 70 years. Having grown up in the orbit of NYC, Danbury CT and, to a lesser extent, Hartford, I can say that most of the suburban CT residents I knew really viewed their major cities as "penalty boxes" that weren't part of "their" Connecticut. This was a dichotomy of thinking I've never seen anywhere else I've lived.

This is why the downtown renaissances already flourishing in New Haven and bubbling in Hartford are so critical. Not only for those cities futures, but for the hope of CT moving together into the future as a unified entity that sees its cities as part of its destiny, not as something to ignore or throw aside in the hope they'll just go away.

- Garris

• 5 months later...

(Providence, RI) -- A joint campaign designed to unite residents of three wards in Providence will be launched today. Organizers says that "Community First" has been created as a response to a pair of what they describe as significant threats to working-class families in the Southside, Elmwood, Washington Park and the Jewelry District. The threats are identified as displacement due to the rising costs of housing, and divisions based on race and nationality. Today participants will go door-to-door to discuss with residents of wards 9, 10 and 11, issues like affordable housing, education, and jobs.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Anyone know anything about this project? Certainly positive news on the affordable housing front.

Foundations of pride

Quote from the image caption: Providence Journal, June 28th, 2007

Onlookers stand in front of a new, two-family house, at 458 Friendship St., Providence, during a dedication ceremony yesterday for 10 new houses for low- to moderate-income families

We've been hearing a lot on the forum about bad design and things that we don't like. I thought I would post links to Housing Network RI's website which prove that affordable, well-designed newly constructed urban housing can be created and that there are organizations and people doing good work. Hopefully their work can be replicated elsewhere. I have no ties to these projects. Just thought we needed some positive posts today.

Broad Street between Princeton and Moore Streets - Elmwood

Friendship-Pine Revitalization project - South Providence

West Elmwood Three-Family

Riverside Initiatives - Olneyville

Putnam Street - Olneyville

Mitchell Street - Elmwood

Harvard Avenue - South Providence

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Some South Providence related items on the Feb 12 Zoning agenda:

This first one is on Pavilion Ave, a few steps east of Prairie Ave (Lower South Providence):

MUSLIM COMMUNITY CENTER OF RHODE ISLAND, OWNER AND EXCEL DESIGN & CONSTRUCTION, APPLICANT: 224-236 Pavilion Avenue, Lots 94, 95, 96 & 97 on the Tax Assessor

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Tonights episode of Diners, Drive Ins and Dives with Guy Fieri, highlighted the Johnny Cakes and Chowder at the Liberty Elm. Congrats to the Liberty Elm, if you have not been you need to go today.

The Liberty Elm Diner, a vintage 1947 diner in Elmwood was placed in the National Register of Historic Places for its contributions to the history of commerce and architecture.

http://www.projo.com...20.37cee9e.html

Archived