Arkansas' Top Growth Counties

johnnydr87

That would be really cool if they developed on those mountains, sort of San Francisco style :-p.  I guess it is too far away from the main city, but it would be quite awsome.  West Little Rock has a lot of developments on the side of hills and mountains...that's what makes it so charming.  All the hills and Arkansas river.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It would be nice as long as they did it right. Although it wouldn't be so bad to have some less urban areas like that also. Fayetteville does have some sort of building code to try to help preserve a lot of the hills in the city and not simply jusr bulldoze them flat to make it easier for development. I don't think much has happened with it so far. But I really do like Fayetteville's hills and it's curvy roads. It does make some things harder because there isn't as much of a developed grid network. But I think it adds to the uniqueness of Fayetteville.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would be nice as long as they did it right.  Although it wouldn't be so bad to have some less urban areas like that also.  Fayetteville does have some sort of building code to try to help preserve a lot of the hills in the city and not simply jusr bulldoze them flat to make it easier for development.  I don't think much has happened with it so far.  But I really do like Fayetteville's hills and it's curvy roads.  It does make some things harder because there isn't as much of a developed grid network.  But I think it adds to the uniqueness of Fayetteville.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, well there's a lot of other Arkansas towns and cities with curvy roads due to geographical features :thumbsup:

Anyways, while I was gloating in Pulaski County's density, I decided to check St. Louis':

5,622 !

Man. Kansas City and Memphis are above 1000. New Orleans above 2000.

And New York City?

66,940.1 :w00t:

Yeah Arkansas cities aren't too dense, but I guess you could also say there's not enough population in Arkansas yet to develope densities like that. I hope we are able to keep our cities from sprawling out like a lot of western cities seem to do.

As much as I'd like to see Jonesboro keep growing, I have to be a little hesitant because of the way the rest of Eastern Arkansas seems to be going.  Will Jonesboro continue being one of the few bright spots of eastern Arkansas or will the problems east Arkansas is having eventually spread to Jonesboro? 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Jonesboro will shortly be connected to Memphis via Interstate 555 and much of that area of East Arkansas is developing an automotive industry. Marion/West Memphis is supposed to be next up on the list for Toyota for an automobile assembly plant.

"In our east Arkansas corridor, construction is moving ahead on the Hino Motors facility at Marion. That company will produce parts for Toyota in a former Crittenden County cotton field. The $160 million facility will cover 400,000 square feet and provide 280 jobs. We expect the number of jobs to grow. Hino is an industry leader in Japan and has held the top position for medium-duty and heavy-duty diesel trucks in the Japanese market for three decades. The company is planning on major growth in North America. Another Japanese company known as Denso opened a $34 million plant in Osceola last year. This state-of-the-art facility covers 217,000 square feet and turns out heavy-equipment radiators and car air conditioners. Denso officials are pleased with the results thus far and anticipate a workforce of 500 people by 2008. Adjacent to the Denso plant will be a facility for Systex Products that will produce plastic-injection molding parts for automobile heating and air systems. Systex will invest $12.5 million in its operation and expects to employ 40 people. In Wynne, meanwhile, Eakas Arkansas will manufacture automotive parts such as door handles and mirrors. The company will begin production next year with about 75 employees. An eventual workforce of 250 people is anticipated. Construction is now beginning on the 109,000-square-foot plant. At Marked Tree, Mid-South Manufacturing will make a $3 million investment and add 100 jobs, bringing Mid-South's workforce there to 450 people. Mid-South produces water pumps for automobiles."

http://www.arkansas.gov/governor/media/rad.../r04302005.html

Hot diggidy!! I didn't now there was that much Japanese investment in the region yet. Osceola has two fairly sizable Japanese plants I had no clue they had. Well thats sums it up. Going to have to take a trip to Osceola and to Jonesboro at some point now. I knew NE Arkansas was making big strides, but I had no idea some existing industrial infrastructure was already in place in places like Osceola.

I really figured Osceola was more akin to New Madrid (MO), Tiptonville (TN), and Hickman (KY), ie struggling old rivertown on the Mississippi.

Thats a great informative weekly commentary from Governor Huckabee. I wish Bredesen would be a little more pro-active in telling the state of Tennessee what is going in the economic development realm for the state.

It is nice, although I still look forward to having a major automotive company based in that area and not just for parts. But it certainly doesn't hurt. I am sure there are a lot of people who don't like Huckabee and I can't say I agree with all his policies. But you've got to hand it to him, he's really made an effort to get things done. Going to Japan, going to Mexico. I feel he's really helped Arkansas or at least tried to take advantage of further publicizing Arkansas's name after Clinton got it started.

I agree.  He's definitely one of the better Republicans.  His stance on immigration is commendable too.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah it's a shame this is his last term. It might have been interesting what he could have accomplished in another term. If he had been elected of course.

Since we brought up Governor Huckabee here just thought I'd mention this also. Lt Governor Rockefeller is dropping out of the 2006 race because he has a blood condition that might lead to leukemia. I can't say I know much about where he exactly stands but I think his father was one of Arkansas's great governors. So this leaves Asa Huchinson and Mike Beebe running for governor. Rockefeller was going to challenge Huchinson for the republicans. So far Beebe has been running unopposed for the democrats.

Governor Huckabee will be going back to Japan to try to bring in other automotive companies to the Marion area. The 2005 World's fair will be located near Tokyo. There will also be a contingent from Mariom going as well. While Marion lost out to San Antonio for a Toyota plant in 2003 there are still in the running for another eventual Toyota plant.

I think in the next couple of years Marion will get one. From what I have read Marion is now the top site for the next Japanese car plant, more than likley Toyota's next one to be announced here in the coming months. It was just edged out a month or two ago by Ontario for the last announced Toyota plant, but like I say Toyota has a second plant to locate here very soon.

I think in the next couple of years Marion will get one. From what I have read Marion is now the top site for the next Japanese car plant, more than likley Toyota's next one to be announced here in the coming months. It was just edged out a month or two ago by Ontario for the last announced Toyota plant, but like I say Toyota has a second plant to locate here very soon.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If not Toyota then someone. If not just for the fact that Arkansas is the only southern state left to not have a car manufacturing plant.

Archived