San Diego: Upcoming Projects

eastsider

Also, the Chula Vista Waterfront project appears to be dead at this time. Apparently, the nimby's decided that the project is not what they want to see in their area. Damn them!

I don' know anything about the project or that community, but it looks like another example of guerrilla planning at its worst. NIMBY's often get what they ask for; it's too bad that most don't realize that what they're asking for will be just as intrusive, but will cost them more in the long run (less density = fewer people over which to spread the cost of municipal services).

Oh, well. The renderings are pretty anyhow...

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^^Well said, Urbanesq :)

I wandered into the sales office for Centurian Partners, the developers of Sapphire Tower & Library Tower, and took a couple of pics -

Library Tower - www.librarytowersd.net

Will be the "new" tallest downtown residential tower , surpassing the 475 foot Electra Tower, which is now under construction.

IMG_3372.jpg

IMG_3370.jpg

Sapphire Tower - www.sapphiretower.net

IMG_3369.jpg

man, I am ashamed it has taken me this long to check out the San Diego thread.

Glad you found this thread, Bro :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In case anyone's wondering, here's a construction status list that was recently posted on another website about a month ago:

The Grande (North Tower) - almost complete, should be occupied in October. Look for Bayview to get going soon on the site just north.

655 Broadway - basically complete with the first tenants starting to move in. The retail base & lobby should be done Oct - Nov.

Electra - Construction is back up to street level, and the existing power plant facade is shored up along its entire length. This one should rise quickly once construction reaches the height of the existing facade - probably Jan - Feb.

Sapphire - the site has been cleared and construction should begin by the end of the year.

The Elle - nothing yet, despite a site posted calling for ground-breaking in Spring '05.

Vantage Pointe - Vantage Pointe, the poster-child of poor CM. Although construction (including site demolition) has been going on for nearly a year now, excavation is only about 2 levels down. Summer '08 now seems optimistic.

Smart Corner - still a huge hole - probably 6 or 7 levels down full site. I can't imagine this one's on schedule either (Spring '07).

11th & B - demolition has begun of the old Chevron station - excavation should begin early next year.

Cortez Blu - topped out, should open early next year.

Aria - still nothing. It was originally planned to break ground in April and I haven't heard anything about it lately.

Diamond Terrace - complete.

M2i - nearly complete, first tenants should be moving in Dec - Jan.

Metrome - also nearly done. Should open Jan - Feb.

Element - up to about the 4th floor.

Market Street Village - still doing site work. Although planned to open late '06, it will probably be more like Spring '07.

Alta - almost back up to street level.

Park Terrace - up to about the 3rd floor.

The Mark - mostly back up to street level. The tower core is about 2 levels up.

Farenheit - topped out. Should open late Spring - early Summer '06.

Library Tower - site has been cleared. No word yet on the next phase of construction.

DiamondView Tower - Already 2 levels down even though it has to contend with shoring up the adjacent Candy Factory building. Looks to be right on schedule for baseball season '07.

ICON - almost back up to street level. Also agonizingly slow.

Main Library - nothing. Last I heard funding was in place - keeping my fingers crossed that Ms. Frye does not pull the plug on the library if she wins in November.

The Legend - excavation is finally underway. About 2 levels down.

Gaslamp CitySquare Phase 2 - topped out. Should open early '06.

Trellis - complete.

Marriott Renaissance - sadly, under construction. I can't believe the lack of coverage (both here and on the local news) of the demolition of the Gran Havana.

Hard Rock Hotel - excavation is under way. Completion is probably late '06 / early '07.

Pinnacle Tower - topped out

The last time I was downtown, I counted about 10 cranes in the air, which is pretty awesome!!

I love that city! Hands down, my favorite US city aside from Chicago.

These projects look great. Awesome thread!

Totally agreed, except I place it above Chicago, even. I've only been there once, but completely fell in love with it, and have been looking for any excuse to go back!

^^Petco Park was built with both public and private money. A city-wide vote was needed to allow the use of public funds to build the stadium. At one time the work stopped during construction, because of numerous lawsuits filed by individuals who were against the ballpark being built. It was a big mess, but in the end everything worked out.

^^Petco Park was built with both public and private money. A city-wide vote was needed to allow the use of public funds to build the stadium. At one time the work stopped during construction, because of numerous lawsuits filed by individuals who were against the ballpark being built. It was a big mess, but in the end everything worked out.

But were there any lawsuits regarding the name? That's always been my big concern.

I also had to mention that Qualcomm Stadium (where the Chargers currently and Padres used to play) is one of the ugliest stadiums from the exterior that I have ever seen.

^^Actually, Petco is a San Diego-based company and they paid alot of money for the naming rights of the stadium. Basically, any company that was willing to pay big bucks could have done it.

I'll have to agree with you on what you said about Qualcomm. That sucker is almost 30 years old and it needs to be torn down. A new football stadium is what the team is asking for now, and it's suppose to be in a masterplanned development on the same site as Qualcomm, complete with housing, retail, offices and a public park. Here are some early renderings-

char2.jpg

char1.jpg

char3.jpg

char7.jpg

char5.jpg

char4.jpg

^ Those are some cool renderings. Any idea on a possible time frame for this development?

On a side note, I always liked Qualcomm, although I just looked at some pictures of it online, and it is looking pretty old. But is definitely cool driving by on I-8 at dusk when it is lit up!

Nonetheless, regardless of the stadium, San Diego is the best Super Bowl city, IMO.

Any idea on a possible time frame for this development?

On a side note, I always liked Qualcomm, although I just looked at some pictures of it online, and it is looking pretty old. But is definitely cool driving by on I-8 at dusk when it is lit up!

Nonetheless, regardless of the stadium, San Diego is the best Super Bowl city, IMO.

This development is definitely in the early stages. There is some opposition here as to whether the city needs a new stadium, particularly if part of it will be paid for with public funds. Most likely there will be a citywide vote on the matter, similar to what happened with Petco Park. The team could leave town (possibly for Los Angeles) if they don't get a new stadium.

I agree that San Diego is one of the better host cities, but the NFL has already vowed that the Super Bowl will never return unless we get a new stadium. Talk about blackmailing a city?!? It's all part of giving the owners what they want, if you ask me.

Pics of the mini-scale model of downtown taken at the Downtown Info Center office. It appears that most of the projects with names on them are under construction now, or are scheduled to break ground soon. You'll also notice that not all of the projects include models yet. Some cool stuff, indeed :)

IMG_3474.jpg

IMG_3448.jpg

IMG_3445.jpg

IMG_3450.jpg

IMG_3447.jpg

IMG_3444.jpg

IMG_3466.jpg

IMG_3465.jpg

IMG_3469.jpg

IMG_3470.jpg

IMG_3475.jpg

IMG_3476.jpg

IMG_3463.jpg

IMG_3478.jpg

IMG_3472.jpg

IMG_3468.jpg

IMG_3479.jpg

IMG_3483.jpg

IMG_3482.jpg

IMG_3484.jpg

IMG_3485.jpg

The number of projects being built around the stadium is amazing..

IMG_3460.jpg

IMG_3446.jpg

IMG_3454.jpg

IMG_3458.jpg

IMG_3457.jpg

IMG_3456.jpg

Pics of the mini-scale model of downtown taken at the Downtown Info Center office. It appears that most of the projects with names on them are under construction now, or are scheduled to break ground soon. You'll also notice that not all of the projects include models yet. Some cool stuff, indeed :)

sd urban, is it safe to assume that all the plain white buildings are the ones under construction or in the planning stages? If so, then it looks like the San Diego's downtown is going to triple soon :shok:

Very cool nevertheless.

^^My fault, I probably should have been clearer in my explanation. The plain white ones are already existing, while the white ones with a project name on it are the ones either under construction now or are in the final planning stages. I can say for sure that more than half of them are under construction now

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

CITIPOINT

360 units/24 floors/245 feet

elevation_16thstreet.jpg

It's pretty generic-looking, but it's not bad looking.

it's not too bad-- looks like a signature pre-20-teens residential tower-- box with little flaps all over.

I think this will be one of the ways to identify development form this time period, don't you?

That said, we'd still kill for that density of development down here.

thanks, as usual, for sharing.

I think this will be one of the ways to identify development form this time period, don't you?

Definitely, especially since a majority of the new towers going up are residential and most have balconies.

The redevelopment of the old police station headquarters will be a great addition to downtown. It's highlights will include a new bayside park, a public market, and a new and improved Bazaar del Mundo :)

http://www.ophandpark.com/

rendering-3-1.jpg

rendering-3-2.jpg

large-rendering1.jpg

large-rendering2.jpg

large-rendering3.jpg

rendering-3-6.jpg

rendering-3-7.jpg

rendering-3-8.jpg

rendering-3-9.jpg

rendering-3-10.jpg

rendering-3-11.jpg