arkansas? ha!

fromdust

hello my neighbors to the east. i'm from OK and it gets on my nerves that people from out of state rag on us because there is nothing here, that there are'nt any jobs, that we're backwater stupid hicks blah, blah, blah. and get this, they've never been here! i'm saying this because i see the same people say the same about arkansas. i know some of you guys have to feel the same way,that you're not getting the light that you deserve. i know that there is industry. could some of you give us some lists of some major employers to maybe help disspell the myth that there are no jobs. we know wal-mart is there.

for everyone that thinks that there is nothing here, i'll give you some major employers of OKC.

company #of employers

feed the children (hq) ?

tinker air foce base 26,000

american fidelity 1,600

faa areonautical center 5,600

dayton tire 1,800

general motors 3,400

sprint 1,900

cox comm. 1,200

farmers ins. 1,700

hobby lobby (hq) 2,000

unit parts 2,003

sonic (hq) fortune 1000 1,500

convergys 1,450

at&t 1,400

hertz 3,100

york int. 1,200

aol 950

dell 3,000?

fortune 500 companies

KerMcgee energy

devon energy

chesapeake enegy

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's pretty late, and I don't feel like looking up too much info. Here are some companies headquartered in Arkansas off the top of my head (who knows what other companies employ arkansans .....there areso many)

Wal-Mart --- Biggest company in the world, bigger GDP than Switzerland

Tyson- Biggest meat company in US, probably world

J.B. Hunt- One of the biggest trucking companies

Alltel Wireless communications- One of the biggest Wireless service providers in the U.S., especially big in south. got lots of coverage from the superbowl in jacksonville, FL

Dillards - uhhh lots of clothes....one of the biggest mall anchors

Murphy's Oil- oil Company based in El Dorado

Axciom- IT business. One of the biggest in the world, hired by Bush and Kerry campaigns to get information about citizens in states. pretty scary.

Riceland- biggest rice producer in the world..... based in Stuttgart

Stephen's Investing - Biggest investment firm based out of NYC

Heifer International- one of the most reputable nonprofits in the world. Recognized in forbes for being one of the best.

Winrock International - Another nonprofit. This one has the backing of Winthrop Rockefeller's son.

And others I missed.

Tomorrow: the companies that have offices in Arkansas. All those in Bentonville around Wal-Mart will blow everything else out of the water.

It's pretty late, and I don't feel like looking up too much info.  Here are some companies headquartered in Arkansas off the top of my head (who knows what other companies employ arkansans .....there areso many)

Wal-Mart --- Biggest company in the world, bigger GDP than Switzerland

Tyson- Biggest meat company in US, probably world

J.B. Hunt-  One of the biggest trucking companies

Alltel Wireless communications-  One of the biggest Wireless service providers in the U.S., especially big in south.  got lots of coverage from the superbowl in jacksonville, FL

Dillards -  uhhh lots of clothes....one of the biggest mall anchors

Murphy's Oil-  oil Company based in El Dorado

Axciom- IT business.  One of the biggest in the world, hired by Bush and Kerry campaigns to get information about citizens in states.  pretty scary.

Riceland- biggest rice producer in the world..... based in Stuttgart

Stephen's Investing - Biggest investment firm based out of NYC 

Heifer International-  one of the most reputable nonprofits in the world.  Recognized in forbes for being one of the best.

Winrock International - Another nonprofit.  This one has the backing of Winthrop Rockefeller's son.

And others I missed.

Tomorrow: the companies that have offices in Arkansas.  All those in Bentonville around Wal-Mart will blow everything else out of the water.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah Tyson is the biggest meat processor in the world. And for anyone outside the southeast or southwest Dillard's is a department store, probably somewhat similar to Nordstrom's. Dillard's seems to mainly be in the southeast, southwest and a little of the midwest.

Arkansas does have some important companies in the state. There are also some very nice areas of the state. Some sections of Arkansas tend to rate very high in many polls as a place to live and so on. But much of the state is pretty poor. Some people would also argue that many of the same important companies in the state like Wal-mart and Tyson mainly create jobs on the lower end of the payscale. For central and northwest Arkansas I'd say things are certainly looking up. But much of the rest of the state looks to be continuing to struggle from the looks of it. Of course what also happens is that the most successful and most educated end up leaving the other areas of the state to go to central or northwest Arkansas, or the whole state entirely. Leaving the poorer and less educated remaining in those sections of the state.

Archived