Texas' New speed limit is 80 mph

M. Brown

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember that the state spent like $2 million on sign replacement when they first changed the speed limit to 70, and, from what I remember, they had to then put back up the old signs because of Congress, then re-post the new signs.

It shouldn't be that expensive, and it will be nice on that stretch between El Paso and Fort Stockton where you just want to veer off the road.

Why not make I-85 south of the US 1 exit to the NC line, 70mph from 65? Thats the only interstate in VA i think that deserves 70 first. US 360, a four lane arterial between South Boston and Richmond is 60mph which goes through nothing. Has a 65mph limit along some bypasses which the freeways are completely substandard which suprised me for a high speed limit like that.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I didn't see anything about I-40. Does anyone know if I-40 in Texas will increase the speed limit to 80?

I bet it will, as the little section of I-40 running through Texas is in the panhandle. Most of the increases will be out in West Texas where there is nobody. Those of you talking about I-95 and other east coast interstates need to see West Texas to understand. There's literally NOTHING out there.

The point that I was trying to make was this:

Either run the freeway in a straight line with no tangible benefit through empty areas.

Run freeway through serviceable areas via detour.

Even better, build a 110mph freight rail corridor. As there is nothing there, why not even go unmanned...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Minnesota just raised its speed limit on two laned roads from 55 to 60 and now they're cracking down on any kind of speeding on those roads (even going, say, 63 gets you a ticket)...

On the other roads you can still safely go between 5 and 10 over the speedlimit. There are proposals to raise all 55mph roads to 60, all 65 roads to 70 and all 70 roads to 75.

It's nice, though.. Minnesota cops cannot pull you over for not wearing a seatbelt (although a ticket can be given if you're pulled over for something else).. entrapment is illegal here (cops cannot hide and wait for speeders) and it is now officially illegal to have "quotas" on speeding tickets.. which makes speeding easier at the end of the month.

• 5 weeks later...

Minnesota just raised its speed limit on two laned roads from 55 to 60 and now they're cracking down on any kind of speeding on those roads (even going, say, 63 gets you a ticket)...

On the other roads you can still safely go between 5 and 10 over the speedlimit. There are proposals to raise all 55mph roads to 60, all 65 roads to 70 and all 70 roads to 75.

It's nice, though.. Minnesota cops cannot pull you over for not wearing a seatbelt (although a ticket can be given if you're pulled over for something else).. entrapment is illegal here (cops cannot hide and wait for speeders) and it is now officially illegal to have "quotas" on speeding tickets.. which makes speeding easier at the end of the month.

Unlike Wisconsin, which is the ticket capital of the midwest. The police here get big bonuses for the number of tickets they write. That's why few people go over 70 mph on the freeways! :angry:

• 2 months later...

Archived