Texas' New speed limit is 80 mph

M. Brown

Speed limits are totally useless anyway, (except for revenue generation). People will drive at whatever speed the road will accommodate safely by its design. If officials were smart, they'd get rid of speed limits and do things like narrowing lanes instead. But then you'd piss off all the traffic engineers.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry, couldn't get the source to load in a timely fashion on this old com-poot-er. So the speed limit is 80 in Texas now? Awesome. I wish Louisiana would raise theirs already. At rush hour it would do me no good, as I always get stuck behind some slow jerk and can't pass, but any other time it would be awesome. I already do between 80 and 90 on I-20 when I have my radar detector on, but to legally be able to do 80-85 would be excellent!

Sorry, couldn't get the source to load in a timely fashion on this old com-poot-er. So the speed limit is 80 in Texas now? Awesome. I wish Louisiana would raise theirs already. At rush hour it would do me no good, as I always get stuck behind some slow jerk and can't pass, but any other time it would be awesome. I already do between 80 and 90 on I-20 when I have my radar detector on, but to legally be able to do 80-85 would be excellent!

I think it depends on which roads you are on. I've noticed I-40 through the panhandle never has been raised. Seems like a good candidate. All you have is basically Amarillo along the whole stretch of the Texas I-40.

• 4 weeks later...

This is from the state where Exxon and Texaco run things (not to mention Valero and Pennzoil). No wonder they all of a sudden pass a law that would increase fuel consumption drastically. It'd be like Pennsylvania passing a law that you had to pour Heinz ketchup and Hershey chocolate syrup on every meal . . . actually that would be a pretty neat law! :P

This is from the state where Exxon and Texaco run things (not to mention Valero and Pennzoil). No wonder they all of a sudden pass a law that would increase fuel consumption drastically. It'd be like Pennsylvania passing a law that you had to pour Heinz ketchup and Hershey chocolate syrup on every meal . . . actually that would be a pretty neat law! :P

:lol:

You know, I did consider the fact that Texas is huge on oil and they're the ones with the 80 mph limit. Naturally.

The Heinz ketchup and chocolate syrup thing... separate I hope!? Otherwise, yuck! :)

Awesome. I wish Louisiana would raise theirs already.

Believe me, I know what you mean, but if trucks and heavy vehicles were crossing Louisiana daily at 80+mph, we would soon get to the point where most of the road's around the state(especially I-10) would just be giant potholes. And we both know how efficiant the Louisiana DOTD is with repairing and repaving roads. ;)

Archived