Favorite Upstate Coffee Shops

goodbye

I just thought it would be kind of nice to start a topic on our favorite Upstate coffee shops, since there are so many all over the area. People visiting are stunned by this fact, but local residents and frequent visitors have grown to love a fresh brew from one of Greenville's hottest commodities. B)

My personal favorite is Port City Java, on Main Street in Greenville. Coffee Underground, on Coffee street, gets my award for best Atmosphere. :thumbsup:

What are your favorites? Maybe someone will get ambitious and make a list of the known places throughout the Upstate. :)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just thought it would be kind of nice to start a topic on our favorite Upstate coffee shops, since there are so many all over the area.  People visiting are stunned by this fact, but local residents and frequent visitors have grown to love a fresh brew from one of Greenville's hottest commodities. B)

My personal favorite is Port City Java, on Main Street in Greenville.  Coffee Underground, on Coffee street, gets my award for best Atmosphere. :thumbsup:

What are your favorites?  Maybe someone will get ambitious and make a list of the known places throughout the Upstate. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with both your choices in that order Skyliner. :thumbsup:

I would also add Spill the Beans.

Dunkin Donuts is... well... :sick: I'm not sure why so many people (including my wife) have this thing for Dunkin Donuts coffee. To me it tastes like something you would get at some cheap gas station.

I think Coffee Underground is hard to beat for atmosphere. Do they roast their own coffee? If not, what do they use?

Are there any local roasters who also run their own coffee houses? I know about West End Coffee, but they don't have a shop, do they?

I am not much of a coffee drinker (I am a tea guy), but I still like to go to coffee shops with dates and friends for the atmosphere. I like Coffee Underground the best. Great atmosphere, but the service can be sort of slow at times. Fortunately, I don't go when I am on a tight schedule, so it's not a big deal.

I also like Spill the Beans in the West End. Port City Java is neat also, especially outside in the plaza between Port City and the Wachovia Building. That is great on a cool fall evening.

I must admit that I am also ready for a Starbucks or two in downtown Greenville. I like the character of the local establishments, but I also must admit that I like Starbucks. Some people say that they are all the same, but the ones I have been to have all been different with varied layouts. Regardless, I think Greenville can support a Starbucks downtown without putting any of our other favorites out of business.

If tea is your "cup of tea," you'll be glad to know that a new tea shop is opening soon in downtown. It's called Sip, and is located on River Street in the Poinsett Corners building. Although tea will be the specialty there, they will also serve coffee for those who enjoy the black bean. Tea served cold or hot - now there's a great addition! :)

• 1 month later...

Port City Java on Main Street, in Greenville. Great location and urban feel. Very soon, I may have to change to Coffee Underground, since it has the best atmosphere and is just across the street (Coffee Street) from Earshot, my new favorite store in downtown. :D

Well, I don't go to these things very often, but I know of a couple of good ones in Spartanburg:

• The Little River Roasting Company on Marion Ave

• Hub City Coffee has two locations, one is downtown at Church and St John, the other is in Hillcrest next to quizno which is drive through only. I think they get their beans from Little River though.

Now back in the day, it was Java Jive, hands down.

I am a daily regular to Hot Java in downtown Greer. As far as coffee houses go, I am usually one to just drink brewed coffee, not the fancy drinks. I like Hot Java cause I can walk to it from work and they have good coffee, they serve Leopard Forect coffee, but it is roasted by the owner of Hot Java.

I also really like Carolina Roasters on The Parkway, awsome coffee roasted in the shop, lots of choices.

And of Course I love Coffee Underground. Awsome atmosphere, great Tiger Shakes, and I love how many choices of coffee they have. More people should do the French Press thing.

I know they do not have a shop, but I also love West end Coffee.

I'm a bit of an iced frap and blended coffee shake nut, myself. Call me a wimp, but I gave up the straight stuff when I was in Kindergarten and I stopped partaking of my mom's morning pot o' joe.

I tried out Caribou Coffee in Ayrsley, NC (just a short drive north of Lake Wylie, SC on HWY 49) last weekend. It wasn't bad, but it just doesn't stack up to Port City Java, in my book.

Either I'm losing my mind to old age or I'm simply not retaining things the way I used to when I was "younger."

This thread that I've created should probably be merged into the following thread:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=12943

:blink:

Skyliner and I seem to have a split-bran scenario going on ... same wavelengths at the very least :P

Archived