Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

urbanophile

Philly has the 2nd most populous downtown in US?

At least according to this article.

http://www.fanniemaefoundation.org/program...s_notes_3.shtml

Of the cities surveyed (which did not include New York City - which is understandable since NYC has several areas that could qualify as being a "downtown"), Philadelphia had the second most populous downtown and has just around 900 people less than Boston (which was number 1). Philadelphia also has the densest downtown of the cities surveyed.

I guess all this is believable from what I've seen (given that NYC is not in the survey). However, I would think that Chicago's downtown should be more populous and denser.

They're only using "selected downtowns," so you really can't say, just based on this survey. Clearly NYC would be #1, and San Francisco is probably number 2. But I would believe Philly/Boston at a close 3 and 4.

That's pretty good news for Philly, they do have a great downtown area on which to capitalize. I hope to say the same about Pittsburgh in the years to come, other than some condo/apartments and a few new apartments going up theres not much residential at all here. It would help if Pittsburgh would start considering the area outside Grant to Ft. Duquesne to Ft. Pitt "downtown" and include some of the north and south shores and the base of the Hill District.

I can completely believe it.

Tho San Francisco is up there, I don't think the most popular areas to live in SF are officially downtown, they are mostly around downtown.

Chicago, being a midwest City, is spread out. It doesnt seem to have the density that Philly has.

Philly is the quintescential North East City and the future is bright! :yahoo:

Some of these surveys are a bit over the top, to the average investor, businessperson or joe/jane schmo is there much of a difference between the downtowns of Boston, Phila, SF, Chitown or NYC?

I like the groupings model for things like these "top 10", "top 25", "top 50" etc. I think you are splitting hairs to say NYC is two spots better then Philly, they are basically interchangable in my mind (though I have to say I like Philly better, nicer folks all in all :) )

Thinking more about it, San Francisco's downtown is based along Market Street. Housing there is spotty. There are also huge crowds of homeless along and Market, and to the south SoMa District. San Francisco has great neighborhoods but downtown is not one of them, yet.

I truly cant think of a city in America where there is such a tight mix or density of the center of business, commerce and residential that Philly has, and is expanding on. Mid town Manhattan is probably the closest comparison, but doesn't have the charm of phillies narrow streets. Downtown manhattan's residential community is still just beginning. There is Tribecca and Chinatown but they are definately separate from Wall Street District. Toronto has a great center city community but also doesn't have the historical feel of Philly. Philly is truly unique in its density and mix.

Go Philly!

It will be a model of American urban life :thumbsup:

Thinking more about it, San Francisco's downtown is based along Market Street. Housing there is spotty. There are also huge crowds of homeless along and Market, and to the south SoMa District. San Francisco has great neighborhoods but downtown is not one of them, yet.

I truly cant think of a city in America where there is such a tight mix or density of the center of business, commerce and residential that Philly has, and is expanding on. Mid town Manhattan is probably the closest comparison, but doesn't have the charm of phillies narrow streets. Downtown manhattan's residential community is still just beginning. There is Tribecca and Chinatown but they are definately separate from Wall Street District. Toronto has a great center city community but also doesn't have the historical feel of Philly. Philly is truly unique in its density and mix.

Go Philly!

It will be a model of American urban life :thumbsup:

I posted a chart in the general discussion forum under the downtown population thread that shows pop vs sq miles of downtown for selected cities. Philadelphia and boston are virtually the same. Check it out if you get a chance. Chicago's downtown is technically much smaller than our but in reality it is far, far larger.

Chicago's is the second largest DT, IMO, even though the rest of the city is spread out by NE standards, it's still an urban mecca. Philadelphia's has the third best skyline and the third best DT. Sorry, but Boston's might compete, but it not even close to the cultural and the economic importance Phila is about to embrace. And with Cira Centre being the keystone linking CC with UC, our DT will be extended from the Delaware through the Schuylkill to 45th St. Now that's very remarkable!!! :thumbsup:

Every season I become more impressed with Philly's downtown. The first warm day of the year is a benchmark and every season for the past 5 years, Walnut Street and South Street continue to become more and more vibrant with better retail options. The future looks pretty good from what I saw today as the younger crowd who mobbed South Street will eventually mature and become part of the already overflowing crowd on walnut/chestnut scene.

In the coming years with the added residents filling up the new condos you are going to have to be in Rittenhouse Square by 9 am to secure your personal space, what a mob scene that place is. Manayunk,University City, and Chestnut Hill have their own good thing going as well. There are definitely some problem areas in the city but Philly has serious momentum going that I have never seen before.