Whole Foods and Other Retail

GRDadof3

Does whole foods ever build in downtowns? If one were to come to GR, I would expect it to land way the hell out on Beltline or Rivertown Pkwy. The only one I've ever been to was in a strip mall.

I was just at a whole foods in downtown san fransisco. The place was packed!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it were a choice between Rivertown Pkwy and the Beltline, Whole Foods would go on the beltline because the demographics they could tap into, I.E Forest Hills, EGR, as well as GR Township, tend to make higher incomes and thus able to afford the premium prices that comes with organic foods.

Riviertown Pkwy looks wealthy but thats because the buildings are fairly new. Other than that Grandville, the west half of Wyoming, and Walker are a mix bag of working class and moderate middle class that are more budget minded than say EGR and Forest Hills.

Dont be so sure, there is Comstock Park out that way, which probably has fueld the development out there more then grandville and walker have :D

and Jenison doesn't count, because everyones a Miser out there (joking!)

Dont be so sure, there is Comstock Park out that way, which probably has fueld the development out there more then grandville and walker have :D

and Jenison doesn't count, because everyones a Miser out there (joking!)

I don't know if you're being sarcastic snoogit, but Grandville has probably quadruple the number of new homes in the past 10 years than Comstock Park, but as tamias said, it doen't matter how many new rooftops there are, it matters how much is earned under that roof.

Whole food sells only 100% organic if I am not mistaken. I like the stuff in their stores, I just don't like paying for it. :blink:

Whole Foods generally has a good selection of both organic and "chemically" grown produce. I'd love to see a Whole Foods or a Wild Oats show up *anywhere* in town.

I see Whole Foods discussed here all the time. I have a hard time believing that this market could support a store, the same way I don't think it could support IKEA but could a Cabelas.

I just haven't seen anything that suggests organic food has really caught on here, at least in the sense that someone would shop at Whole Foods over D & W.

Does anybody have any research that says otherwise? I'd love to hear it.

I see Whole Foods discussed here all the time. I have a hard time believing that this market could support a store, the same way I don't think it could support IKEA but could a Cabelas.

I just haven't seen anything that suggests organic food has really caught on here, at least in the sense that someone would shop at Whole Foods over D & W.

I suspect that it would be iffy at best, although it might do okay, especially if it were located out towards Ada and Cascade. I don't think anyone expected that the area around the Grandville mall could support the number of chain restaurants that currently seem to be doing okay, so I'm inclined to believe that there are still untapped retail markets in this town.

I am 100% sure IKEA would be successful here, Its cheap cost and decent quality its what dutch people LOVE

LOL.... alright not just dutch but west michiganders in general :D

Couldn't you say that could apply to the whole country? Otherwise, would Walmart and Target have been so successful nationwide, or Meijer be expanding in Chicago and other parts of the Midwest? Let's not perpetuate stereotypes.

Couldn't you say that could apply to the whole country? Otherwise, would Walmart and Target have been so successful nationwide, or Meijer be expanding in Chicago and other parts of the Midwest? Let's not perpetuate stereotypes.

are you trying to tell me this is not true!!!!????? why do you think lower to middle end chain restauraants FLOURISH here, we are a test market for ALOT of these type of establishments, the regional manager came into my restaurant and I asked him why this store was a test store and he said, because people in west michigan aggressively look for the lowest price for the best quality (I didnt put it in quotes cause it might not be verbatim)

are you trying to tell me this is not true!!!!????? why do you think lower to middle end chain restauraants FLOURISH here, we are a test market for ALOT of these type of establishments, the regional manager came into my restaurant and I asked him why this store was a test store and he said, because people in west michigan aggressively look for the lowest price for the best quality (I didnt put it in quotes cause it might not be verbatim)

So we should trust an analysis of the entire region by your Regional Manager? Test markets are not set up in a city that leans any particular direction. You get cleaner results that way. Low cost chain restaurants and retailers are popping up all over the country. Dollar General is one of the fastest growing retailers in the country. Where? Everywhere.

I'm interested in hearing what regions of the country look for the lowest quality at the highest price? (if we indeed hold a monopoly on good value).

So we should trust an analysis of the entire region by your Regional Manager? Test markets are not set up in a city that leans any particular direction. You get cleaner results that way. Low cost chain restaurants and retailers are popping up all over the country. Dollar General is one of the fastest growing retailers in the country. Where? Everywhere.

I'm interested in hearing what regions of the country look for the lowest quality at the highest price? (if we indeed hold a monopoly on good value).

I didnt mean to touch any buttons on this issue.........

I am 100% sure IKEA would be successful here, Its cheap cost and decent quality its what dutch people LOVE

I don't know if it would work here or not. I think people are excited about the stores because their are not so many of them and it has a different stlye of furnishings. I don't think their "stuff" is any better quality than what you can already find around the state. I am not saying that it is aweful, but I wouldn't shop there because I think it is better or the best around.

Edit: Just wanted to note that my response above was in regards to IKEA. I do feel that with the downsizing/changing of D&W that a nicer upscale grocery/produce store would be nice in Grand Rapids, even if there was only one.

I don't think you can compare IKEA and Whole Foods. IKEA is gigantic and each store is intended to cover a vast area. Hence the ads in the Grand Rapids Press for the store opening in Canton last week. I do not think we could support an IKEA, nor could Detroit. But the Canton store was opened for Detroit, Lansing, Grand Rapids, Toledo, Saginaw, Traverse City, etc. etc. etc. On the other hand, there are at least four Whole Foods Markets in the Metropolitan Detroit area. I believe we could support a Whole Foods Market here, if not now than within the next 5 years. Whole Foods sells much more than just organic food and it is set up like a beautiful supermarket. Particularly with the demise of D&W (whether actual or just perceived), I think the time is ripe (pun intended). I'm convinced if they build it, we will come. Bring it on!

I don't think you can compare IKEA and Whole Foods. IKEA is gigantic and each store is intended to cover a vast area. Hence the ads in the Grand Rapids Press for the store opening in Canton last week. I do not think we could support an IKEA, nor could Detroit. But the Canton store was opened for Detroit, Lansing, Grand Rapids, Toledo, Saginaw, Traverse City, etc. etc. etc. On the other hand, there are at least four Whole Foods Markets in the Metropolitan Detroit area. I believe we could support a Whole Foods Market here, if not now than within the next 5 years. Whole Foods sells much more than just organic food and it is set up like a beautiful supermarket. Particularly with the demise of D&W (whether actual or just perceived), I think the time is ripe (pun intended). I'm convinced if they build it, we will come. Bring it on!

Let's get Faustus to put it in his plan for the big Riverfront project. We could use a decent and decently priced market downtown, don't you agree?

Let's get Faustus to put it in his plan for the big Riverfront project. We could use a decent and decently priced market downtown, don't you agree?

Faustus - love it! :rofl:

I agree there needs to be a Whole Foods downtown. Faustus, are you listening?

Faustus - love it! :rofl:

I agree there needs to be a Whole Foods downtown. Faustus, are you listening?

If this project becomes as big as they are hyping it up to be, some sort of grocery/market would be a natural fit for the area. Plus, the demographics would be in place to support it.

• 3 months later...

Found this old thread...I like how the GR Press said that the "dream" retailers for the two lifestyle developments would be Whole Foods (3 mile and the beltline) and Cabela's (walker). They know something, or just pure speculation? (guessing the latter)

Found this old thread...I like how the GR Press said that the "dream" retailers for the two lifestyle developments would be Whole Foods (3 mile and the beltline) and Cabela's (walker). They know something, or just pure speculation? (guessing the latter)

The 3 Mile/Beltline village recently signed a deal with D&W to put in a 48,000 sf Fresh Market store as an anchor, so I don't think they would put in another food specialty store. :dontknow:

The 3 Mile/Beltline village recently signed a deal with D&W to put in a 48,000 sf Fresh Market store as an anchor, so I don't think they would put in another food specialty store. :dontknow:

I had forgot about that - and I agree, one is more than enough for that development. I'd think that Spartan would have had a clause in their agreement to prevent another grocery store from moving in as well.

I don't know what their plan is hee in Gaslight but a few weeks ago the D&W wass having customers put a pin on a map where they live. This store is well supported by the immediate area but there is the Breton Village D&W that is larger and recently renovated.

I say this because I feel Spartan may choose to close this location and that would open up a spot here for Whole Foods.

What does it take for an area to be considered high traffic count?

It looked like it meets most of the other criteria.

I don't know what their plan is hee in Gaslight but a few weeks ago the D&W wass having customers put a pin on a map where they live. This store is well supported by the immediate area but there is the Breton Village D&W that is larger and recently renovated.

I say this because I feel Spartan may choose to close this location and that would open up a spot here for Whole Foods.

What does it take for an area to be considered high traffic count?

It looked like it meets most of the other criteria.

The Gaslight Village D&W was extensively renovated 18 months ago.

I tend to agree, it's awfully close to the Breton Village one, but it's also more heavily trafficked (at least when I visit).

If Gaslight Village was without a grocery store, I'd probably stop buying groceries. :) I walk there for at least 50% of my groceries.

Archived