Downtown Hospital

Greenville

I find it interesting that there is not a hospital in downtown Greenville. It seems like just about every city, even mid-sized ones, has a hospital downtown. With the people moving downtown, it seems that there will be a need for one in the coming years.

Then I realized that we sort of do have one downtown - St. Francis! It doesn't really seem "downtown" to me, but it is actually not that far from where the new ballpark will be (in fact, you can probably see St. Francis from there). I suppose Greenville Memorial could also be considered downtown, but definitely not as much as St. Francis.

My dream is that we could open a medical school and hospital in the downtown area, and allow for a medical center to contribute to economic growth of downtown also. Let it be Clemson University College of Medicine, and I would be giddy. :D

Now, back to reality. Does anyone else think there will be a need one day (I'm talking 15-20 years down the road) to build one downtown, or are St. Francis and Greenville Memorial good enough?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that possibly within 15-20 years there will be a hospital downtown,because i think within 15-20 years downtown will reach St francis and incorperate it in downtown. Take a look at the direction

d-town is growing in it is definitly headed that way.

I don't know how the area hospitals will grow, though they will undoubtedly continue to do so. I know GHS has a gargantuan plan for their Grove Road location, so my guess is that it would take a whole lot for them to expand into the heart of the city. Also, the new research school, which is in colaboration with USC, will be located over there. Both Patewood campuses for GHS and St. Francis are expanding rapidly as well. GHS is building a whole new massive campus in Greer, which will relieve much of that area. So, to answer your question, I don't see a new one being built right in the CBD anytime soon, but who knows way down the road? :)

Speaking of GHS, they should now ignore the needs of thier other medical campuses - Hillcrest and North Greenville. I think the Hillcrest Medical Campus has underwent improvements in recent years, but the North Greenville Medical Campus has been neglected. Communities like Berea, Traveler's Rest, Slater-Marietta, and Furman are enough to support that hospital.

As someone who just graduated from Furman, I can attest to the neglected state of the North Greenville Hospital. Anytime someone needed to go to the hospital, they would almost always make the long trip to the main campus rather than going to that outdated North Greenville Hospital.

As someone who just graduated from Furman, I can attest to the neglected state of the North Greenville Hospital. Anytime someone needed to go to the hospital, they would almost always make the long trip to the main campus rather than going to that outdated North Greenville Hospital.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

An outdated medical facility in one of Greenville County's growing areas creates a negative thought about GHS's commitment to providing the best healthcare in northwestern Greenville County. That what makes the long drive worth it for better healthcare. Once the new Greer Medical Campus is near completion, GHS can make plans to improve or build a new Northwest Medical Campus. It would be wise to build a new hospital closer to US 25 around Traveler's Rest just for land and accessibility reasons.

I was just thinking about this... and I dont know, it may not even be possible. BUT, what about a medical office buidling downtown... I think it would definitely increase the two hospitals' interest to be in the CBD. (but it might not even be considered if there's not a hospital already there). But I think it would be nice to have random doctors offices in a "medical highrise" downtown. It would be a great location for people who work downtown to walk over on their lunch hour instead of driving out in the subburbs or just farther out but in the city.

Eye doctors, dentists,... a little bit of everything.

And I know "parking, parking, parking..." but with all of the garages it wouldnt be that hard to simply just build in the next block and let there be a short walk. Like in that lot behing the NBSC across from the spring st garage...?

Just wishful thinking i guess... so dont massacre me for throwing that idea out there :)

I was just thinking about this... and I dont know, it may not even be possible. BUT, what about a medical office buidling downtown... I think it would definitely increase the two hospitals' interest to be in the CBD. (but it might not even be considered if there's not a hospital already there). But I think it would be nice to have random doctors offices in a "medical highrise" downtown. It would be a great location for people who work downtown to walk over on their lunch hour instead of driving out in the subburbs or just farther out but in the city.

Eye doctors, dentists,... a little bit of everything.

And I know "parking, parking, parking..." but with all of the garages it wouldnt be that hard to simply just build in the next block and let there be a short walk. Like in that lot behing the NBSC across from the spring st garage...?

Just wishful thinking i guess... so dont massacre me for throwing that idea out there  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think it would be a great idea for a downtown medical building. Hopefully, it would have its own parking garage. Locationwise, something towards Heritage Green's end would be an ideal location.

GvilleSC,

I like your idea of a downtown medical high-rise. I think this makes a lot of sense. Think about the limited number of medical practices we currently have in the CBD. I can think of maybe one dentist on main street, and I suppose there are probably a few practices in the other high rises. What else is there? It just seems like people who work, and certainly who live, downtown need more convenient options. As usual, this will become even more important as people increasingly live and conduct business downtown.

Archived