Tallahassee Zoo?

Florida

Tallahassee Zoo?

tallyskyclose.jpg

Often times I think of things to talk about based on conversations me and my girlfriend have. Today she suggested we needed a Zoo while mentioning how much she likes the Natural Museum. Now I too like the natural museum, however I see where shes coming from. Elephants, Zebras, Giraffes, Moneys, Gorillas are all mission around here. I think it would be cool if we could get them in the area... these types of critters get more feet in the doors.

With the widening of Orange Avenue from end to end, and with efforts to spruce up Innovation Park underway... this thought comes to mind... any opinions?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Often times I think of things to talk about based on conversations me and my girlfriend have. Today she suggested we needed a Zoo while mentioning how much she likes the Natural Museum. Now I too like the natural museum, however I see where shes coming from. Elephants, Zebras, Giraffes, Moneys, Gorillas are all mission around here. I think it would be cool if we could get them in the area... these types of critters get more feet in the doors.

With the widening of Orange Avenue from end to end, and with efforts to spruce up Innovation Park underway... this thought comes to mind... any opinions?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is a nice idea (although some activist don't like the concept of a zoo), but it takes a much bigger tax base to have a zoo than Tally has. You typically need a large corporate tax base. Also, I would first like to see Tally finish it's road projects, storm water runoff, job creation/diversafication, etc.

I agree on the completion of the roads, and storm water drains. I assume we would probably get a better product if we wait for corporate investment.

Do you think the same with regard to the Airport? Would we be better off if it were under corporate management? I've thought about this from time to time and there are pros and cons. TalTran too... I can't wait to see things changing with regard to this bus system.

I do like the what the museum currently offers, but more can be done to make it more asthetically pleasing, and more accessable... work on Orange is underway and Capital Circle is around the corner too. We've really taken too long to get things going around here.

We can now advertise on the side of our busses... that has to be one of the first signs of change. airport could use some help, but i think the road widenings may ultimatly help draw people to the airport and it will snowball (provided the tally pop grows). I like zoos. families like zoos. Why wouldn't anyone want to buy tallahassee a zoo...;(

^Im with you... I love zoos and so do my friends and peeps who might visit me.

I agree with you on that domino affect the widening of the roads will have on the southside. Surely if Orange is seen as a complete southern east-west route... traffic will pickup along that road and Innovation, the museum, and many other Orange avenue business will take off.

what about some of the land between Rail Road and Lake bradforrd with all those little lakes and waterways, it could be a very attractive way of protecting that area while bringing people inot the DT vacinity while still making efforts to conserve the trees and natural setting that might be hidden in that plot of land.

wasnt there once a waterfall there, they could re-create it as a central feature (instead of an interactive fountain) and imagine using some of the existing buildings as gift shops or food stops. but i do like the concept of having a baseball park provided they do it proper without cutting corners

^Yeah man... wouldn't you love to have that baseball stadium back on Cascades. There was once a spring there... it is actually part of the reason Tallahassee was chosen as site for a capitol. Do you think the land is big enough for both... or am I being greedy... Surely... this would be ideal location for any type of zoo attraction downtown. It seems the want to move forward with the Ampatheatre plans for Cascades... I'm a bit upset about that considering we've already got plans to enhance the one on Kleman.

i think that there is room for both... they would be a fun entertainment center, but what would all that extra traffic do to that sector of downtown... i am not suggesting any other area would be better, but maybe if we know that revenue would be coming, we could invest a decent amount of funding into the roadways like those of us foruming would love see happen before we grow too too much more.

hey this just jumped in my head. I am having all kinds of ideas for Tallahasse. What about an aquarium? Now that would be the bomb. It could like be somewhere downtown. It would be in partnership with the imax center. Can't you see little kids taking school trips to Tally and visiting this.

Archived