Tallahassee Zoo?

Florida

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That would be mad nice!! I like the way you paint the image with the Wall and everything. This would honestly go well with the south monroe sector plan. A zoo would also fit in well with the Meyer's park area's Historic Neighborhood designation and mesh well with the Korean War Memorial and natural beauty of that area. Once the land is completely cleaned up, it would make an awesome zoo site.

That area (along the creek below the war memorial) was once called "smokey hollow". It was a vibrant post Civil War African-American community and was one happening place. "If you go to smokey hollow, keep your money in your shoes. Those smokey hollow women sure put a mess on you" as the words to the old blues song by Tallahassee Tight say. The neighborhood got it's name from the wood stove smoke that hung over the low spot.

I have been saying that Tally needs a real Zoo for years. The current Museum/Zoo is fine to visit every once and a while but lacks the animals and other exhibits to draw people more often. Also as others have mentioned having a real zoo would greatly add to the overaul economic impact for Tallahassee. I visit my relatives probably twice a year in Montgomery and they have a really nice zoo for that size city which is about the same size as Tally. I always wondered how they did such a good job of continously maintaining and adding animals over the years.

Why O why can't we have something like Montgomery's Zoo here.......

With all of the cities pet projects that get enourmous amounts of money thrown at them, why can't they make a Real Zoo one of those projects?

Thank you! How are things over in Baton Rouge? I know things must be crazy with all of the growth you all have experienced since Katrina.[/quot

Baton Rouge was really begining to take-off even before the hurricanes. Katrina just seemed to accelerate everything.

That's a great job you do TaureanJ representing your hometown on the Tallahassee forum. It's good to see the passion you have for your city. How is yall's downtown area been coming along ? I think yall have a nice skyline for the size of your rapidly-growing city. Has the Gameday Center been completed yet ? BR might be getting one too ? I hope.

Both of our cities do have some similarities; not just being Capital Cities, but each have TWO great universities as well ! They are on the I-10 corridor on the same parallel with each other ! You gotta love the climate too.

I've grown up watching FSU Football. I have alot of respect for the program and I like Bobby Bowden. They took two of BR's RB's too, Warrick Dunn and Travis Minor in the past. Thankfully Nick Saban kept WR-Michael Clayton(currently with TB Bucs) in BR, he was seriously considering FSU.

LSU has a starting OG-Brian Johnson from Tallahasee Godby HS.

One more(zoo) question? Florida's state animal is the Panther; how many Florida Panthers are now living in the wild ? I think FIU has a great looking Panther logo. It's sad to see these big cats nearly extinct.

Absolutely Baton Rouge was growing before the whole Katrina thing. I know it had to be something crazy to swallow up alot more growth when so much of New Orleans moved in.

Thanks for the kind words. The downtown is coming together quite nicely. Yes the Tallahassee Center (Gameday Center) is just about complete. Crews are putting on the final touches as we speak. I think we would all say that we think the building didn't live up to the advertised product. But we're happy to have it nontheless! :D

When the new rendering comes out for the BR Gameday Center, I want to see it. Lexington, KY and South Bend, IN are getting nice facilities also.

Our two cities do have some similarities! Both of us live in cities with two Capitol buildings, one historic the other a tower. Yours being taller of course! :P

I had not realized we got Warrick Dunn and Travis Minor from Baton Rouge! Each turned out to be great athletes and both went Pro in a big way. Have they come back to build their mansions in BR?

Archived