Tallahassee MSA

Florida

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Same here because I also assumed Wakulla County would be more populated. But I must admit that I'm not in totally shock because Midway is rapidly becoming a point of destination for more corporate/manufacturing industries. And the continued development of Rustling Pines/Orion Point/Monroe Creek should only accelerate the growth in the town of Midway and Gadsden County. I still say that Midway (being located at the intersection of U.S. 90 and I-10) is a good location for building a regional theme park.

Tallahassee Democrat is reporting a decline in Population for City and County

This comes as a major shock if true. It would seem to me that we've added to our number since 2000 and not the other way around. There are absolutely no signs of decline in this community, at least not obvious to myself.

Just looking at the number of new homes in the area and the vacancy rates, this doesn't add up. Add to this the City of Tallahassee Utility Department's increase in demand.

I'm not the sharpest marble in the bunch, but this surely has to be a mistake.

Article

I don't know if it is or not. I see upon further reading that apparently the Democrat got the figures wrong. However I submit a theory that may explain why it might appear that Leon County is losing residents. I figure a lot of Tallahasseeans are tired of the high housing costs and are moving to bedroom communities outside Tallahassee and even out of Leon County more and more. I know my wife and I got more for out money by moving outside the city limits. And I see housing is cheaper in Wakulla, Gadsden and Jefferson counties where more subdivisions are being built. Also I see an increase of college students here which could lead to a false sense of growth since they aren't normally counted and permanent residents (or at least they shouldn't be). That may account for an increase in apartments and condos being built. Just my opinion and personal theory.

There has been no decline in the population, there was simply a mistake on behalf of the census bureau a few years back which they think they corrected. Tallahassee was no the only city affected by this reporting.

It is true that we're sharing a significant portion of our growth with our surrounding counties which isn't a bad thing. The cost of housing was a major reason as previously stated, however there are factors which offset the higher cost of housing in Leon county which enable us to continue to grow steadily as we always have... namely a rise in fuel/transportation costs.

UF has been providing these figures for quite a while and have historically been more accurate with its forecasts than the US census bureau. I believe when the next census comes around, Tallahassee's numbers will fall more inline with UF's numbers than with the US census, which bases its data on a previous count and a growth rate attained from the previous 10 years.

Nice report FL.

Gadsden has always been the second most populous county in our area. However I'm glad to see them start growing again. For several years they either lost population or just maintained. Midway has really helped in this trend.

One day however, I believe Wakulla will take over 2nd place...unless in that future we add Thomas to the MSA or CMSA. I just hope by this time, they'll have Crawfordville and Woodville Hwy four-laned to handle the traffic.

Nice report FL.

Gadsden has always been the second most populous county in our area. However I'm glad to see them start growing again. For several years they either lost population or just maintained. Midway has really helped in this trend.

One day however, I believe Wakulla will take over 2nd place...unless in that future we add Thomas to the MSA or CMSA. I just hope by this time, they'll have Crawfordville and Woodville Hwy four-laned to handle the traffic.

Archived