Moving to GR

BostonianinGR

Dear Friends,

As you all know I am moving from Boston to GR (re my first post). I would like to live in a fairly urban neighborhood and have found a few places on rentGR.com. I was wondering if you know whether the Fairmont Square Area, Heritage Hill area is a safe neighborhood.

Are there any places/streets around that I should stay away from. Having lived in Boston and Philly I know that things like this can change from block to block.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi BostonianinGR -

As a general rule Grand Rapids pretty darn safe. Heritage Hill is defenatly one of the locations you want to check out. They have a web site and a link to aparentment/house rentals. www.heritagehillweb.org. If you are looking in Heritage Hill, some pockets south of Wealthy are a little sktech, but the area around Wealthy is really turned around in recent years.

Fairmount Square, Cherry Hill, Wealthy Theatre, and Eastown are all urban areas close to downtown and with easy access to almost everywhere, and are very walkable.

If you are looking for large apartment buildings in urban settings check out The Boardwalk, American Seating Park or the Globe, all on the edge of downtown.

mpchicago

Bostonian,

As a paramedic in Grand Rapids, I see the best and the worst of the city. Both of the areas you mentioned are great choices.

Grand Rapids is changing so quickly that it's really tough to say specifically where to stay away from. The "ghetto" is giving way to new developments. For example, what recently was the absolute worse intersection in the whole city (Wealthy and Fuller) is now a very safe and "chic" area. Some of the most beautiful old houses in Heritage Hill and Ottawa Hills are just blocks from neighborhoods where the average person wouldn't set foot after dark.

All in all though, if you're used to city living, you'd feel plenty safe.

All this being said, I'll tell you some of my worst shootings, stabbings, etc have been in the suburbs, not the inner city!

If you have any specific areas in mind feel free to ask, we'll have a pretty good idea.

All this being said, I'll tell you some of my worst shootings, stabbings, etc have been in the suburbs, not the inner city! 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

All the crime statistics I look at tend to agree with this statement, its safer in Grand Rapids then in the suburbs.

For a city of 200,000 (give or take 5,000) the crime rate is really low, we are only above the national average in bank robberies, and even then is slightly above, the rest are well below.

GR for the most part is safer then most cities of its size, and probably safer then Boston.

From personal experience, locate Bemis and Giddings on a map and stay away. Maybe it's just my opinion, but after multiple breakins (once while we were home) and various other events on the street, I would definately not have a family there if I could pick a house on heritage hill instead. The hill is great and definately feels safe.

I lived in Heritage Hill for over 25 years at various addresses before moving downtown last summer, and it is wonderful. As with ANY neighborhood, be aware and take care -- don't leave doors and windows unlocked, etc. Don't leave expensive items (or any item for that matter) in plain sight in your car, etc. The basics.

Also, watch what you throw out in your trash because there have been some incidents in which people have gone through garbage to get personal info.

The boundary: Crescent to the North, Union to the East, Lafayette to the West, and Pleasant to the South. Don't go too far south of Fulton and you should be okay. Anything south of Logan would be pushing it.

Budgie

I lived in Heritage Hill for over 25 years at various addresses before moving downtown last summer, and it is wonderful. As with ANY neighborhood, be aware and take care -- don't leave doors and windows unlocked, etc. Don't leave expensive items (or any item for that matter) in plain sight in your car, etc. The basics.

Also, watch what you throw out in your trash because there have been some incidents in which people have gone through garbage to get personal info.

The boundary: Crescent to the North, Union to the East, Lafayette to the West, and Pleasant to the South. Don't go too far south of Fulton and you should be okay. Anything south of Logan would be pushing it.

Budgie

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:rolleyes: I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I think we need to be very careful that we don't sabotage the efforts of many people (some of which are friends of this forum) to try and revive neglected neighborhoods that are: South of Fulton, East of Union, South of Logan, etc.. by labeling them as dangerous. Bostonian, I would recommend you contact the GR Police Department (or on-line) and get records of different crime rates of different areas, and then you can make the call yourself. Also, just walking or driving through a neighborhood on a summer evening will give you a pretty good idea of the "feel" of a neighborhood. Some people freak out if a neighbor looks at them funny, while others like hearing sirens at night. Some areas are totally devoid of crime, and are also totally devoid of all character :D

The streets I mentioned are the boundaries of Heritage Hill. (Union, Crescent, Lafayette, Pleasant.)

And there is nothing wrong with giving a heads up on the "better" parts of HH as I see them. Others will have different opinions, surely.

Relax.

V.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you worked in real estate, I would already have your license :P

Really? I hope you are joking.

Budgie

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, unfortunately I am not. You don't want to mess with the Federal Fair Housing Act. "Steering" people away from a certain area of town is a Federal offense:

http://www.mirealtors.com/pdfs/fairhousingbrochure04.pdf

Plus, as I said, there are people who are spending A LOT of money and effort to revitalize these areas, and we should support them in their endeavors.

Relax Budgie B)

No, unfortunately I am not.  You don't want to mess with the Federal Fair Housing Act.  "Steering" people away from a certain area of town is a Federal offense:

http://www.mirealtors.com/pdfs/fairhousingbrochure04.pdf

Plus, as I said, there are people who are spending A LOT of money and effort to revitalize these areas, and we should support them in their endeavors.

Relax Budgie B)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hahaha at least hes not in realestate then :P

Sure there are people spending a lot of money on some areas to revtailize them, but that is not what Boston asked. Boston does not want to live in a neighborhood where he can't walk out the door at night, hoping his investment will pay off in 10-20 years. Frankly, I am getting too old to keep waiting for neighborhoods to "change". Maybe when I was 20, but not now.

Boston: Send me an EMail if you want & I will drive around with you and show you some of the nicer areas.

hahaha at least hes not in realestate then :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're a regular Columbo, snoogit :P And as far as driving around GR Guy, that was my suggestion a few posts back. I'm not suggesting anyone buy a house in these areas, but a lot of people are reached by this forum. Good luck in your apartment search Bostonian.

Boston,

Welcome to GR. I assure you that GR is safer than most and it seems you are on the right track as far as housing. I would recommend the HH or East Hills neighborhood. I live on the "bad side" south of Logan and very close to the Franklin/Eastern intersection. I have never felt in danger and regularly run/walk outside. Just watch what you leave in your car.

On that note...your biggest problem will probably be the Michigan drivers. My husband is also from Boston/Philly and he can't stand driving in Michigan. :)

Best of Luck to you. Happy to help with questions.

I would recommend the HH or East Hills neighborhood. I live on the "bad side" south of Logan and very close to the Franklin/Eastern intersection.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My Finance also lives south of Logan near Prospect and Franklin and has for about a month now. After a few weeks it became aparent that it is a pretty safe neighborhood. More so than the corner of Bemis and Giddings!

Hi Folks,

Thank you all for your advice. I was in GR for two brief days and found a place near Easttown. I like the atmosphere, a bit like Boston.

I walked around the neighborhood at night to get a feel for it, it seemed pretty safe.

Thanks again for all your help.

Bostonianin GR

Hi Folks,

Thank you all for your advice. I was in GR for two brief days and found a place near Easttown. I like the atmosphere, a bit like Boston.

I walked around the neighborhood at night to get a feel for it, it seemed pretty safe.

Thanks again for all your help.

Bostonianin GR

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

North, south, east or west of Eastown?

Please tell me that you didn't walk alone.

Come on. There are very few places in town that I would not dare to walk alone in. Grand Rapids for the most part is a very low crime city - actually, it is a near anomoly for a city at the heart of a one million plus metro.

Archived