Should walker just sieze the Lear factory?

snoogit

Recent Article:

http://www.mlive.com/business/grpress/inde...83685243850.xml

Given the new Supreme Court ruling, and the fact that Lear is threatening to move, I think it might be a good idea for Walker to just sieze this building and find another use for the area.

Given that a developer once wanted to put a shopping mall or outdoor shopping center on Walker and 4 Mile, I would think that this site would almost be BETTER then the walker site for such a development. The factory is certainly large enough, and the area would greatly benefit from such a development. I think it would be neat if they could renovate the factory to make it into a mall, its got some cool old factory buildings in it that would be neat as a concept in a mall.

The only problem I could see is that it would potentially hurt any Downtown retail development. I hardly see any cars in there anymore, and with any jobs that are still there, the fact that a mall would bring just as many if not more jobs is a real possibility. We would probably have to attract different stores then the ones in the area now if this happened.

Whats your thoughts on this? Everytime I drive by that factory it seems there are very few cars in the lot, and im surprised there are people actualy working there. Plus it would help the area for sure. The corner of Ann and Alpine is kind of worn, and old and neglected. IF this were to go up, the area could experience a revival.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can you Imagine the Traffic on the already over-capacity Alpine Ave. if they were to add a mall? The north side of the Metro area could really benefit from a mall. But for the busiest thoroughfare in Kent County to accomadate an indoor shopping center, the entire road would need to be widened, and redone, from Ann to seven Mile!

But they need to do something with that lear plant, it sure is just going to turn into another eyesore of lost jobs in the coming years, I can feel it comin. :(

Even worse considering where on Alpine it is, and the amount of money it would take to rip out homes and businesses to widen it. Add dismal highway access and it would not fly. Anyone developing a new mall would most likely want direct highway access, or as close as possible.

Can you Imagine the Traffic on the already over-capacity Alpine Ave. if they were to add a mall?  The north side of the Metro area could really benefit from a mall.  But for the busiest thoroughfare in Kent County to accomadate an indoor shopping center, the entire road would need to be widened, and redone, from Ann to seven Mile!

But they need to do something with that lear plant, it sure is just going to turn into another eyesore of lost jobs in the coming years, I can feel it comin.  :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thats why I think something needs to be done now before it gets to that point. As for widening Alpine, I don't think thats really neccisary. I think the traffic would be the same, especially if there ever is light rail sent to that area (there are tracks nearby, if Light Rail were ever to come to Alpine that would be the spot it would go.) It could be quite the interesting area if some type of development went in there.

SuperNova:

Its not that far from 131, and 96 really. Take Woodland and eastbrook for example, the only real way to get there from a highway is either 131 down 28th to woodland, or take 96 to East Beltline, then down to 28th. I'd say the distance on Alpine is closer then Woodland, and Eastbrook are from 131 or 96. Traffic would be a nightmare, but it is a manageable one. Traffic south of the Meijer is negligable at best, but if you widened the roads past 3 mile it could work.

Widening to Seven MIle is stretching it, but to 3 Mile, maybe 4 mile is a real possibility.

This might be a good spot for a "lifestyle village center" like the two being proposed for the East Beltline.  Those old factories right along Ann could be re-done and mixed into the development.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That would be cool too. I would think that would make a perfect spot for a light rail station too when that happens.

All this talk of road widening and shopping malls makes me wonder where the vision of this board has disappeared to. If you're into that kind of junk, just drive north of I-96 - you'll get your parking lots, $5/hour jobs, and chain stores for miles and miles. There's no need to go to court with Lear to take their land when the sprawl is all ready and waiting for you nearby!

that said, GRDad's idea appeals to me. it's a great idea to use some the buildings and create an interestying district. a midtown village type project could really energize the urban fabric of the area. I'd rather save the mall for the sprawl and see a real community sprout in the wake of withering industry.

I know that this is going against the general thinking of the posts in this thread, but I always thought that this would be a great location to land one of the foreign automaker plants that they keep building in the US. It offers a huge plot of land that can be added on to with other surrounding industrial parcels, all of the infrastructure is in place, easy off/on expressway access, and and a readily available and highly skilled workforce. The way I see it, it would be a perfect fit for that type of use. Comments?

All this talk of road widening and shopping malls makes me wonder where the vision of this board has disappeared to. If you're into that kind of junk, just drive north of I-96 - you'll get your parking lots, $5/hour jobs, and chain stores for miles and miles. There's no need to go to court with Lear to take their land when the sprawl is all ready and waiting for you nearby!

that said, GRDad's idea appeals to me. it's a great idea to use some the buildings and create an interestying district. a midtown village type project could really energize the urban fabric of the area. I'd rather save the mall for the sprawl and see a real community sprout in the wake of withering industry.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

SOmething has to be done, I'm tired of family members being in and out of that factory. I agree with GRDad though, I hadnt thought of that, i just had a "spur of the moment idea" sometimes they arent all that focused. I'm more concerned about all the contruction taking place along 96. If something like turning that factory into a mall would stop the encroachment along 96, I'd be for it.

I suggested even using the old factory buildings as parts of the structure itself, that would be a neat looking shopping center.

I know that this is going against the general thinking of the posts in this thread, but I always thought that this would be a great location to land one of the foreign automaker plants that they keep building in the US.  It offers a huge plot of land that can be added on to with other surrounding industrial parcels, all of the infrastructure is in place, easy off/on expressway access, and and a readily available and highly skilled workforce.  The way I see it, it would be a perfect fit for that type of use.  Comments?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I cant see that happening. Personally, that factory needs to go. Something needs to perk up that area, and another manufacturer moving in wont help at all. What needs to be done is something to revitalize that area.

I've grown up not living farr off 96, and I'd hate to see the area I grew up in (which was rural) be plowed over with parking lots. The land my parents sit on is well over 3 generations old. The Township has already placed a large apartment complex near their location, and zoned the area commercial/light industrial. We have had developers asking us to sell their land. SO yes, I'm a little biased when it comes to these sort of things.

Personally, that factory needs to go. Something needs to perk up that area, and another manufacturer moving in wont help at all. What needs to be done is something to revitalize that area.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Check out the regional design charette that was done by the Grand Valley AIA this last winter. There were three areas in the metroplex that were studied and that area was one of the sections that was studied.

There were quite a few interesting ideas that were put forth.

http://www.gvaia.org/charettes_overview.html

Nitro

Check out the regional design charette that was done by the Grand Valley AIA this last winter.  There were three areas in the metroplex that were studied and that area was one of the sections that was studied.

There were quite a few interesting ideas that were put forth.

http://www.gvaia.org/charettes_overview.html

Nitro

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sweet site Nitro :D

infact, that is a lot like what I had in mind for the site. Leaving the historic Fischer plant, and gutting the rest making way for a Retail center, and transit hub using the existing rail lines.

And I though I was being original :P

Archived