Tampa v. Orlando

nuhusky

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember they have a British Pub somewhere in town. You are only 25 y/o, I think you would have more fun here. Plus, Orlando is in the center of the state which is also the center point of all the Florida cities. You can easily access Miami, Jacksonville, Fort Lauderdale, West Palm and Tampa if u decide to getaway for weekend.

I don't think so.  What characterizes that area is it being the home of the port for over 100 years.  The character is its a decent sized urban industrial district, with a number of historic brick warehouse buildings that have been renovated into authentic lofts.  Channelside, The Aquarium and the streetcar only complement what's already been there since the late 1800's.  Its a unique urban neighborhood that deserves to be mentioned in a topic like this.  That's not a knock on Orlando or any place else.

All those areas are great neighborhoods.  However, they aren't as urban, unique or built up as the older neighborhoods in Florida's older large cities, or even the same scale.  Orlando's a much younger city, in terms of a development, so naturally its going to lack in that department.  Again, that's not a knock or giving Orlando the short end of the stick, its just the truth.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would honestly agree with you on this if I found it to be true, but I really don't. If you are considering Miami vs Orlando, its quite obvious that Miami would win in the density department (even though South Beach is NOT over 100 years old, yet still very dense). To each his own I guess, but I've been to Channelside and to say that some of these Orlando neighborhoods are not as urban or unique is based off what theory? Age? If so, that would be flawed any day.

The beauty of living anywhere in Florida is that all of these fine cities are a short drive away. Live in Orlando (one heck of a town), and you're an hour drive from Tampa (another heck of a town) and two hours from Jax (another heck of a town, too).

As much as I'd love to be a cheerleader for Orlando, most everything has already been covered. And I see no point in bashing Tampa and Jax, b/c they are both pretty cool cities, too.

And don't forget Tallahassee only 3 hours away! Another heck of a town.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've always dug Tally...it has that small, Southern town feel...without actually being a small, Southern town.

I lived there for a year or so, had a good time.

The summers are killer, though. Ugh. The heat...the humidity...worse there than it is down here, IMO.

Another town/city that I think is awesome...Lakeland. The downtown is so cool...and the college there, Florida Southern, I think, is worth checking out. The number of Frank Lloyd Wright buildings there is impressive.

Those are nice pics.

Isnt Harbour Island a gated community?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Most of Harbor Island is, however the Northern portion (the densest), with all the high & midrises, is open to anyone and features street level retail and dining. I'm at work, but I've got a ton of pictures I've taken over the last month of Orlando, Winter Park, Tampa, St. Petersburg, Fort Lauderdale, Jacksonville and West Palm Beach that I still plan to post. Hopefully, I'll get a chance to go through, select and post some threads this weekend.

Nevertheless, my respones was to Bic's metro statistic about the 7% amount of fresh surface water.  A metro stat includes everything in Lake, Orange, Osceola and Seminole County, regardless of how far they are from the city's actual urban area.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, the 7.39% figure represents the amount of water in the city limits of Orlando, not the metro area. However, the comment that Orlando is only rivaled by the Twin Cities as far as the number of lakes go (100+), that is in the metropolitan region.

I find photos of Ybor City to be rather mis-leading. While a great part of town, essentially, Ybor is limited to one street. Once you venture off that street, all that "urbanity" disappears.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Its not Boston or San Fransico, but its still unrivaled in Central Florida.

Ybor has suffered from the years of urban renewal in its residential areas, but it is what it is.

Yes 7th Avenue is the densest street, but that urbanity actually stretches 11 blocks (E-W) and 4 blocks (N-S), from 6th to Palm "10th Ave" and from Nuccio "12th" to 23rd St.

Its 40+ block commercial core has remained largely intact and residential & industrial areas, south of the railroad, have been rebuilt with loft conversions, townhomes and rowhouses. Other than a couple of blocks under going infill, between 8th & I-4, most of the neighborhood's northern portion also remains largely intact. Futhermore, all of the new infill development taking place, also follows the same theme (little to no setbacks from the street or buildings next door). I'll show this in one of my future photo threads I plan on posting in the next couple of days.

<< Looking forward to the new Ybor photos. That is an interesting place. I think the seedy argument has some merit, but it is improving and it is an urban environment unavailable in Orlando.

By the way Nohusky, I am a recovering lawyer myself (hoping to get out of it within the next 15 years or so).

I feel bad for a person that decides where they will spend quite a few years of there life living, working and playing based on a few opinions of some internet message board users that all have alliegences to there "favorite" cities.

As ive said before, Orlando and Tampa are the only two cities ive lived in (given, im pretty young), an internet MB (albeit a very interesting one) is no place to make your decision on where you want to live. Visit both of these cities first hand, get a feeling of the local vibe, go out for a night on the town or somthing. Dont base everything on some posters from a MB, I beg you...

^ I gather that the original poster is quite familiar with both cities, and he wanted a "biased" local view of what forumers like about each city. He seems well informed enough to make a solid decision on his own accord.

Yeah...he already did, about a page and a half ago. But some people just love an argument! :blink:

No hometown bias showing, neighbor bashing here. Tampa's cool! Sometimes it's good to go someplace that isn't dominated by Pixie Dust and plastic. Tampa is a good escape from Orlando, being less than 90 miles away.

I'll probably never leave Orlando, but in the meantime, it's proximity to the rest of Florida is a huge bonus. Not to mention plenty of things to do, good upscale shopping (when I can afford it) and good downtown night life!

Archived