Tampa v. Orlando

nuhusky

I've lived in 4 countries (and I'm still pretty young by all accounts) countless cities as I tend to move every 3-4 years and now I am finally looking to make a home for my family.

Us moving to Flordia is by no means premature as we are more than well versed in life down south. To be perfectly honest I was just looking for moral support, support for my prior desire to move to Orlando v. Tampa.

Thankfully I got it, and I am most thankful Beyond getting the support I had hope for a number of people have given me some great advice, one even went so far to send an excellent PM regarding an MBA program in the Orlando area. Info about that program has been most interesting and facts I was not until now aware of.

I am happy to say my wife and I have already booked our next trip to visit the Orlando area in what I hope will be an eventful search for apartments.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am originally from England but I have been in the US for around 5 years now, currently living in Pittsburgh (1 year) Boston before that (4 years).

I'm young 25 and married but desperately need to move away from the snow. I have spent a good amount of time in both Tampa and Orlando and we have decided to move to one of these 2 cities.

However, I am having a really hard time deciding which one I prefer.

Tampa is near the water, huge bonus assuming it does not get hit by a hurricane. It has more amenities for the most part than Orlando (theater, museums etc...). However I found Tampa more dirty than Orlando and hated St. Pete and Clearwater. Ok to visit but not to live. Plus great shopping in that one big mall near the airport.

Orlando however has some great shopping too now, plus winter park is really quite nice. The one major downside to Orlando is the tourist impact and Tampa seems to have a bigger economy than Orlando, meaning it could be easier to find a job.

I desperately need some advice as to what people think of these two cities. I

^Yeah, that was the best thing, when I lived there.  You could easily enjoy and take advantage of both city's amenities, plus the cost of living was significantly cheaper.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well it's funny I keep moving further east and when my lease is up I may start looking out towards lakeland. I was checking the cost of building a house in hillsborough compared to polk county and its a 100k cheaper to build it in polk. Might well be worth it.

• 3 weeks later...

seeing as decisions have already been made, I'll give my bias 2 cents on this issue.

Tampa and Orlando are both great cities. I will say that with a tech background, you'd probably have an easier time finding a job in Tampa. From my experience when I was searching for IT jobs, more just seemed to be located in Tampa. Also, Jacksonville has a surprisingly good IT market as well. For some reason Miami and Orlando aren't as well catered in that area, tho I guarantee it's improving.

Now, as far as what the cities have to offer... it all depends on what you prefer. Anyone that likes a city with more history, slower pace yet with the amenities of a typical large city would be happier in Tampa. Better culture, and more mature hoods give it the edge in that department. However, it's older status has caused some serious decay in some of it's less affluent inner suburbs.

If you prefer a younger, up and coming, more energetic city that's clean, and progressive, then Orlando is for you. It's definately more geared for a younger population, with the job market, it's entertainment, and ameneties. The city is rapidly maturing, and the city's leadership is steering the city towards an urban, sophisticated city (of course this will take some time). It also has clean suburbs, and generally is more visually appealing with it's manicured foliage, and late 90's neo sprawl.

Another way the metros vary that nobody has brought up, which I feel is quite important is diversity. Tampa is a little more monocultural in the diversity department, while Orlando has a distinctly more international feel. Mostly due to tourism, you're more likely to find many different minorities while strolling through a typical mall in orlando than you would in Tampa. There is also a much more visible latino population in orlando, particularly puerto rican. If diversity suits you, you'd probably see more of it in Orlando.

So... I just wanted to state my point of view on this debate. In my opinion, Tampa has a more mature job market, more established urban hoods, and old, historical charm. Orlando has the new, vibrant, progressive feel with a bright future ahead of it, along with a more visible diversity.

Whatever is your cup of tea is where you'd be better suited. It's obvious someone like lakelander holds much weight in culture, history and urbanity, while most orlando boosters prefer the newer, cleaner look of their city along with it's tremendous potential. You can obviously tell also that I prefer orlando, it's my hometown and it's strengths suit my tastes.

This is only my opinion tho... I think both are great cities, it all depends on what you want :).

actually I'm in va beach. It's funny because the difference between va beach & norfolk are somewhat similar to tampa/orlando, in that Norfolk is the more gritty, historic area while virginia beach is the cleaner, newer area. The one big difference however is that both are equally progressive, with Norfolk having a better foundation in place. Va Beach wants to build it's downtown from scratch, whearas Norfolk already has a very livable downtown. Va Beach is very much suburban, lacking any real downtown core and density. However what exsists is very clean, well manicured, and devoid of grit.

IMO Norfolk definately has a better future in terms of urban potential. The city itself is dense and built out. I would even go as far as to say it's inner city hoods are well ahead of central florida in terms of urbanity. Portsmouth is very dense, and downtown Norfolk has a more northeastern feel, pretty much the polar opposite of va beach. I'd say va beach is orlando without it's downtown and unique hoods, and norfolk is a more urban version of Tampa, with less impressive downtown buildings.

• 2 weeks later...

Contrary to popular belief, aside from an ad on Lynx Central Station's wall and a few billboards on I-4 and 528, Orlando metro does not revolve around the location of WDW.

From downtown, heading north, you have Winter Park, Maitland, Altamonte, Longwood, Lake Mary, Sanford, DeBary/Deltona, then DeLand.

Heading northeast, you pass Wp to Casselberry, Winter Springs, Oviedo, Chuluota.

Heading west, you have Metrowest, Windermere, Ocoee, Winter Garden, Oakland, Clermont.

Heading Northwest you have Altamonte west, Wekiwa, Apopka, Zellwood, Mount Dora, Eustis, Tavares, Leesburg.

Heading south east you have Lake Nona, Kissimmee, St. Cloud

Most of these places existed before WDW came to town.

Orlando is a real city with history, albeit not very big. There are lots of buildings in downtown that were built in the 1800's. The same holds true for many of Orlando's suburbs like Kiss., Sanford, DeLand, Mount Dora, etc...

I think Disney's might has overshadowed this fact.

• 2 weeks later...

To quote the original poster:

"As much as I appreciate the input, as any sort of comment is welcomed. I really only have a choice between Tampa or Orlando. Do bear in mind it is not just me but also my wife that will be moving. Tampa and Orlando being her two ideal choices also."

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Downtown St. Petersburg is better than Tampa and Orlando.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but last I went to downtown St. Pete it was surrounded by slums.

Downtown Orlando has had a nightlife scene forever and has gotten even more developed since 1997, has had steady construction since 1996, and is surrounded by nice neighborhoods on three sides. It also has excellent foot traffic during the day.

But don't take my word for it

Downtown St. Petersburg is better than Tampa and Orlando.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Talk about pointless. Do you realize how old this thread is? He already made his decision. Not only did you bump an old thread, but you did it for no reason. He clearly only wanted to know about Tampa and Orlando, not St. Pete... which is just a tiny suburb city to Tampa anyway. :wacko:

I do not live in St. Petersburg, but I would not classify it as tiny!! I know we are talking metro's, but within their city boundaries I think they have a larger population than Orlando. I know the city is trying to improve the south side, but I would not classify the Snell Isle or the Old Northeast sections as dumpy. In fact, the waterfront mansions and the old historical sections rival any home in Thornton/Winter Park. The last time I drove through 417 and I-4 area in Orlando I did not think those areas were gleaming. Downtown St. Pete is adding sophisticated urban development and the city just landed the world's first Chihuly 'museum' gallery that will draw many international visitors.

BayWalk, The new Westin Bohemian, New Publix, The Pier, Beach Drive, Tropicana Field, Museums (Dali, Fine Arts), USF, Barnes & Nobles, Opus Towers...WOW.

Fort De Sota Beach, Tierra Verde, Carillon area, Sarasota, and Tampa are a quick drive.

St. Pete has alot going for it and at this time is far ahead of downtown Tampa and maybe even Orlando. I think this Bay area city is really a great place!! Being surrounded by water is one major benefit that will make this city a redevelopment magnet for years! B)

If I were to live ANYWHERE in Florida again, it would be ORLANDO.

The population is young, progressive, and of diverse cultural backgrounds.

The urban downtown always was nice; however, it has gained and is continuing to gain momentum.

UCF is going to be one of the nation's great universities...with regard to academics, research, and athletics - it's inevitable.

You're a short drive from just about anywhere in Florida ... it's centrally located.

The beach is not far away (Take 528 / the Bee Line).

Shopping is great: Fashion Square Mall, Florida Mall, West Oaks Mall, Oviedo Town Center, Seminole Town Center, Mall at Millenia, Altamonte Mall, Waterford Lakes Town Center, Downtown Winter Park, Festival Bay / Beltz / other Outlet stores. Whether you're a big spender or a spend-thrift, you'll find what you're looking for.

You can't beat having the theme parks in your back yard, whether you want to own annual passes or just purchase the occasional ticket.

There's more to the economy than just tourism.

I'm also exploring the MBA programs in these two cities but where I attend is less of a concern as it is where I will live.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can personally vouch for the MBA program at UCF. They have also recently added an MIS program that you may find attractive.

I've also heard that the Crummer School at Rollins College in Winter Park is very good.

In fact, the waterfront mansions and the old historical sections rival any home in Thornton/Winter Park.  The last time I drove through 417 and I-4 area in Orlando I did not think those areas were gleaming.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Winter Park isn't visible from I-4 or the 417. So you didn't see it. You can't really see Thornton Park from those vantage points either, as it's mostly a tree shaded neighborhood of low-slung Florida-style bungalows. So in essence, you don't know what you're talking about.

I grow weary of these "Mine is bigger than yours" contests. (Especially on old threads.) So I'm now going to stick up for my hometown.

Here's what I think is the biggest sign of a viable downtown: Would you go there willingly after dark?

Downtown O-Town is hopping at night. Downtown St. Pete, with all it's lovely museums, is not. And when you venture away from the Pier, it's a little scary when the sun ain't up.

Flame away.

Winter Park isn't visible from I-4 or the 417. So you didn't see it. You can't really see Thornton Park from those vantage points either, as it's mostly a tree shaded neighborhood of low-slung Florida-style bungalows. So in essence, you don't know what you're talking about.

I grow weary of these "Mine is bigger than yours" contests. (Especially on old threads.) So I'm now going to stick up for my hometown.

Here's what I think is the biggest sign of a viable downtown: Would you go there willingly after dark?

Downtown O-Town is hopping at night. Downtown St. Pete, with all it's lovely museums, is not. And when you venture away from the Pier, it's a little scary when the sun ain't up.

Flame away.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry Tough Guy!!

You're right this thread was done until someone came in and ripped the 'Burg'' apart. I'm not into 'who's better matches' on old threads either, but someone was slamming St. Pete as tiny and slummy, so I decided to defend my smaller brother especially since it seems to me this board is controlled by more Orlando residents than Tampa Bay residents.

My point was that driving in and around downtown Orlando on the west and south side of the city I discovered neighborhoods that did not seem desirable. My point is all urban areas have seedy places Tampa, Ft. Lauderdale, Orlando, St. Pete and Sarasota. The beauty of all FL cities is that we are just beginning to see them turnaround some of these places. I think you just read the email out of context. Although I meant to say Toll Road 408.

Orlando is a great place too, but like anywhere else it has it's faults just like St. Pete. Downtown St. Pete does not have the younger college crowd like downtown Orlando. Although it has it's perks with waterfront parks, culture, movies, restaurants & clubs (like Cafe Alma), shops, USF campus, developing art community, MLB baseball, and yes even senior citizens. In fact, I think a random Tuesday night will be great to go down to Moon under the Water on Beech Dr. after the NY Yankee and Devil Ray game. It's great to be in metros with up and coming urban areas. Time to hang out with some geezers and I hope not to get mugged!! :silly:

Whoa. Relax. head west from downtown Orlando and you have slums also. whoop-dee-do. No city is perfect.

However, there's something people need to know about O-Town's neighborhoods. There are a lot of exclusive neighborhoods in this town. Period. Here's a list of places where you'll find some of them:

Winter Park

Alaqua Lakes/Heathrow

Lake Nona

Islesworth

Baldwin Park

Celebration

Windermere- Butler Chain of Lakes

Bay Hill/Dr. Phillips

there's more...

Jax has old money too. My gf lives there and gives me the low down on some of their neighborhoods as well, such as Ortega, et al. Every Florida city has old money.

No slight on St. Pete.

represent.

I agree with Hisma's post on the last page. The Tampa Bay area has a more developed job market, two well-established cities with their own distinct flavors, a coastal location, laid back but big-city at the same time. However, Orlando just has a youthful energy and seems quite progressive and sophisticated -- moreso than the Tampa Bay area, IMO. I love Tampa Bay. However, if I hadn't grown up in St. Pete and was just moving to Florida, at my age I'd probably be trying to get to Orlando just because it's young, progressive and growing/developing very fast.

Archived