Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ironchapman

earth.google.com

It seems that google.com now has a function similar to Mapquest that you can install on your computer. This program provides a 3-D globe with several satellite rendered images of cities around the world. It's very similar to their maps function, but Google Earth is more complex. Very Interesting.

Click here to check it out

I'll post some screenshots later.

It looks nice. I may have to download this one.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Once I downloaded one from Google, It had OUTDATED images.cIt was cool and all, but It was just old.

You have to understand that you can't just access satellites in real-time. In order to get high resolution images, the actual area the photo covers has to be relatively small. This means that it takes a long time to bulid up a database of images from around the earth. As time passes, more accurate, higher quality, and more up-to-date images will replace older ones.

You can even make the buildings 3-D!

Just go to the little menu at the bottom of the screen (it should be in the center of the bottom) and check "Buildings".

You can also have it show state, county, and national borders by clicking "Borders" box in the same menu.

^ I think it uses the same technology, but it is a different program. GoogleEarth is only a fledgling prgram, it'll probably getmore high-res pics of cities soon.

Is this the same as Keyhole? When i had Keyhole, they had Greensboro in hi-res, but Google maps doesn't

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yup, Google in it's buying binge, bought Keyhole.

Yeah I think it's pretty cool, but I'll like it better when they get newer images. I can't see my hometown. :( Then again, it's a small place so maybe I won't ever be able to!

It makes me feel sick if I watch it zoom in from space though.

NYC

Uptown

UptownNYCRestaurants.jpg

Downtown

DowntownNYCRestaurants.jpg

And then there is Detroit, although Detroit has added almost 50 new restaurants in the past 2 years. Correct me if I am wrong.

Detroit

Uptown

UptownDetroitRestaurants.jpg

Midtown

MidtownDetroitRestaurants.jpg

Downtown

DowntownDetroitRestaurants.jpg

^ It is if you zoom in far enough.

Google still is working on getting the full map of the Moon on there. For now, it is only the area around the Apollo landing sites.

Google Earth is an amazing program. I can't believe its free. The other day, I was able to book a hotel within two blocks of the light rail line, in Dallas, so now I won't have to rent a car. Today, I've traveled to the Egyptian Pyramids, Rome, The Great Wall of China, South Africa and Area 51.