earth.google.com

ironchapman

It seems that google.com now has a function similar to Mapquest that you can install on your computer. This program provides a 3-D globe with several satellite rendered images of cities around the world. It's very similar to their maps function, but Google Earth is more complex. Very Interesting.

Click here to check it out

I'll post some screenshots later.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You have to understand that you can't just access satellites in real-time. In order to get high resolution images, the actual area the photo covers has to be relatively small. This means that it takes a long time to bulid up a database of images from around the earth. As time passes, more accurate, higher quality, and more up-to-date images will replace older ones.

You can even make the buildings 3-D!

Just go to the little menu at the bottom of the screen (it should be in the center of the bottom) and check "Buildings".

You can also have it show state, county, and national borders by clicking "Borders" box in the same menu.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I think it's pretty cool, but I'll like it better when they get newer images. I can't see my hometown. :( Then again, it's a small place so maybe I won't ever be able to!

It makes me feel sick if I watch it zoom in from space though.

Google Earth is an amazing program. I can't believe its free. The other day, I was able to book a hotel within two blocks of the light rail line, in Dallas, so now I won't have to rent a car. Today, I've traveled to the Egyptian Pyramids, Rome, The Great Wall of China, South Africa and Area 51.

Archived