Miami Beach developer to buy JU land

bobliocatt

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's kind of strange for a university to give up prime property like that - certainly they will never get it back!

When I last visited JU I was astonished that their riverfront property was completely unused (just a field with weeds). Now the campus views will be obstructed by condos...

The property is only prime if they are going to use it. Otherwise, why not take the cash? Overall, I think it's a good move for a financially struggling university. I just wish someone in the city had the vision to "up-zone" the property for highrise condos. That way we could get a few more skyscrapers, and JU could have gotten even more money for their land.

Also, it won't obstruct any river views. The 62 acres in question are on the northern edge of the property. It's where the woods are in this pic.

JUmap.jpg

Btw, that field of weeds was once a riverfront golf course.  I may be wrong, but I think as a part of the deal, they'll be renovating that course, as well.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is correct, it was a golf course. Shortage of money and possible demolition was the cause of the weeds. They were planning on demolishing the golf course in 2000 so that they may bring the river into the campus.

Here's some more info:

Plans call for a 900-unit gated condominium development along with a marina. The buildings will house as many as 2,000 people and the buildings will range in size from three to as high as seven stories overlooking the river, according to Jeri Goodkin, a spokeswoman for the developer. No price range has been determined for the condominiums.

The developer also agreed to redevelop the university's nine-hole golf course, which was shut down several years ago. The few existing buildings on the land were sold as well. That includes the new 6,000-square-foot, million-dollar presidential mansion, completed last year. Construction of the home was widely criticized for being built during a time of financial crisis. The developer will use the house as a sales office before tearing it down, Romesburg said.

Link to the full article:

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stor..._19115346.shtml

As a JU alum, I think it is a very good deal.

1. JU was NEVER going to use the land. The school has no plans of expanding beyond about 5,000 residents, and this can be easily donw with the remaining land.

2. The Golf Course thing frustrates me a little. As nice as it was, surely we can do better than putting a Golf Course on the riverfront land. I always thought a Student Union / Intramural complex would be great, but then again, where does the money come from.

3. As far as it being a Miami developer, frankly I don't care who develops the property. The fact that someone is actually investing in that part of Arlington is great. I feel much more comfortable walking around LaVilla at night than that part of Arlington. It seems that all of the vagrants from the downtown area are making there way across the Mathews to Arlington.

The only thing that is a little dissapointing is that the new President's House will be torn down as part of the deal. I know that the house was very criticized on the surface, but JU's president makes peanuts compared to most universities (regardless of size). This was a nice perk. I know Romesburg (the current president) obviously doesn't care, however he won't be around forever. I would agree that the location that they picked was terrible, but it would have been nice to salvage that somehow.

I completely agree about the saftey of that area. I lived in arlington for about 2 years, and let me just say, I didnt want to venture too far from home base. Had an instance once where someone asked me for some money, said I didnt have any, he didnt beleive me, so I SHOWED HIM i didnt have any, at which point he proceeded to send every racial slur you can give a white guy possible my direction. It would have been fine if it was a one time issolated event, but the whole area is that way.

Hopefully this will change that atleast a little.

Cheers

I completely agree about the saftey of that area. I lived in arlington for about 2 years, and let me just say, I didnt want to venture too far from home base. Had an instance once where someone asked me for some money, said I didnt have any, he didnt beleive me, so I SHOWED HIM i didnt have any, at which point he proceeded to send every racial slur you can give a white guy possible my direction. It would have been fine if it was a one time issolated event, but the whole area is that way.

Hopefully this will change that atleast a little.

Cheers

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is why it is a GATED project I guess :whistling:

As a JU alum, I think it is a very good deal.

1. JU was NEVER going to use the land.  The school has no plans of expanding beyond about 5,000 residents, and this can be easily donw with the remaining land.

2. The Golf Course thing frustrates me a little.  As nice as it was, surely we can do better than putting a Golf Course on the riverfront land.  I always thought a Student Union / Intramural complex would be great, but then again, where does the money come from.

3. As far as it being a Miami developer, frankly I don't care who  develops the property.  The fact that someone is actually investing in that part of Arlington is great.  I feel much more comfortable walking around LaVilla at night than that part of Arlington.  It seems that all of the vagrants from the downtown area are making there way across the Mathews to Arlington.

The only thing that is a little dissapointing is that the new President's House will be torn down as part of the deal.  I know that the house was very criticized on the surface, but JU's president makes peanuts compared to most universities (regardless of size).  This was a nice perk.  I know Romesburg (the current president) obviously doesn't care, however he won't be around forever.  I would agree that the location that they picked was terrible, but it would have been nice to salvage that somehow.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just wanted to let you know, in case you haven't heard, the old Davis building is becoming a student union (FINALLY!) with a sports bar and a huge workout area!

Just wanted to let you know, in case you haven't heard, the old Davis building is becoming a student union (FINALLY!) with a sports bar and a huge workout area!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have heard that, and it's great, because there was really nothing to do on campus.

They have become pretty liberal in the past couple of years (thank god). They go rid of some of the administrators, and that has helped the campus life tremendously.

I have heard that, and it's great, because there was really nothing to do on campus.

They have become pretty liberal in the past couple of years (thank god).  They go rid of some of the administrators, and that has helped the campus life tremendously.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agreed! Although our athletic teams still need work. It appears that our baseball team is doing fine however. It seems like the entire Athletics Dept. does not get much support from the students here at all.

Archived