Determining Building Height

vdogg

Thought this would be interesting to share with you guys. This is a link to the Council on tall buildings and urban habit criteria for declaring the tallest building (the official authority for measuring tall buildings). While it is true, as mentioned before, that there were 4 different categories made as a compromise in measuring the height of a building, height to structural top (includes spire) is still considered the official criteria for determining how tall a building is. Therefore the Petronas towers are still officially considered to be taller than the Sears tower. What this means for us is that both Granby Tower and the Westin will be officially taller than Monroe and therefore officially the tallest(s) in the State.

Important excerpt:

"OTHER MEASURES OF HEIGHT: In an effort to reflect other aspects of the statistical height of a building, additional information is shown for buildings ranked in the top ten. (All of the following measurements begin at the sidewalk level of the main entrance of the building.)

To Structural Top: Height to structural top of the building (the Council's official criteria as defined above).

To Highest Occupied Floor: Height to the floor of the highest occupied floor of the building.

To Top of Roof: Height to the top of the roof.

To Tip of Spire/Antenna: Height to the tip of spire, pinnacle, antenna, mast, or flag pole."

All buildings not in the top 10 are only measured to the structural top. Buildings in the top 10 can have the additional information shown next to their name but the height to the structural top is the only criteria used to determine the buildings height.

We are being robbed, yes robbed of two titles people and we need to let this be known :lol: . Maybe I'll forward this link to the pilot, doubt they'll listen though. They never have before <_< .

• 4 weeks later...

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We are being robbed, yes robbed of two titles people and we need to let this be known  :lol: . Maybe I'll forward this link to the pilot, doubt they'll listen though. They never have before  <_< .

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Update: Thanks for listening batman :thumbsup:

Which titles are you being robbed of?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Before the pilot was calling the Westin and Granby 1st and 2nd tallest in Hampton roads instead of the state. When challenged about this by one of our users their response was surely Richmond or D.C. metro must have buildings taller than this and said they were skeptical about our claim that these towers would indeed be 1st and 2nd tallest in the state. They stated that they would look into it. Well needless to say they must have looked into it because they've started to make that distinction in the paper.

well how tall would they be to the tallest structural level?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Monroe is 449' structural height. That would be measured from bottom of garage (street level) to top of roof.

Granby=450' from street level to top of spire.

Westin=508' from street level to top of spire.

Now of course all this will change if the Rosslyn Tower gets built. The Rosslyn tower would then move into 2nd place at 484ft, with Granby and Monroe taking 3rd and 4th repectively. It will also change ***sense the fear and anxiety :cry: *** if Granby doesn't get built.

Monroe is 449' structural height. That would be measured from bottom of garage (street level) to top of roof.

Granby=450' from street level to top of spire.

Westin=508' from street level to top of spire.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But now Granby might even be higher with a few more condos and the quote "more than 450 feet".

To get perspective anyone know how tall the AH Tower or the Dominion Tower is?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

296' to top of building and 396' to top of spire (structural height) for AH.

340' structural height for dominion.

They are but I wish the impact was not due to spires and just pure building :unsure:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with you. But not all spires are bad. At least the ones atop Granby Tower and Westin will compliment the buildings. That piece of metal they slapped on the AH Tower is just a joke. That's not a spire - that's an antenna. Until Granby and Westin are built Dominion Tower is still the tallest in HR in my book.

I agree with you.  But not all spires are bad.  At least the ones atop Granby Tower and Westin will compliment the buildings.  That piece of metal they slapped on the AH Tower is just a joke.  That's not a spire - that's an antenna.  Until Granby and Westin are built Dominion Tower is still the tallest in HR in my book.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with everything you just said. Both spires look to be more a part of their buildings than the AH. And the Westin will absolutely dwarf AH because the actual building will rise well above AH's spire (by some 12') and then add a hundred foot spire on top of that and this thing is really gonna stick out. I know they're currently working on plans for the office tower for phase 4, I'd be real interested to see how tall that ones gonna be.

I agree with everything you just said. Both spires look to be more a part of their buildings than the AH. And the Westin will absolutely dwarf AH because the actual building will rise well above AH's spire (by some 12') and then add a hundred foot spire on top of that and this thing is really gonna stick out. I know they're currently working on plans for the office tower for phase 4, I'd be real interested to see how tall that ones gonna be.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe 508'+ with no spire at all :thumbsup: That would be cool to see.

Let's hear it for a 800 footer like the BoA Corporate tower in Charlotte!  :w00t:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:rofl: Lets not get ahead of ourselves now. I'd like to see a gradual step up. We need to populate the skyline with a bunch of 4-600 footers first and then step up to the 700-800 range.

so does that mean that structurally, the monroe tower will still be the tallest?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No because the spire is almost like a observance tower on top of the Granby so it is a structural part of the building. Imagine if the parking garage was stuck under the Granby how tall it would be.

Archived