Orlando Citrus Bowl Stadium [Renovation Completed]

jc_perez2003

18 hours ago, Uncommon said:

https://www.growthspotter.com/news/gs-city-outlines-camping-world-stadium-improvement-plans-in-bid-documents-20190430-story.html

interesting developments. The city is moving forward with $46M in renovations, adding seating upgrades and more importantly, parking improvements. More funding could be in store if Orlando is selected as a host city for the World Cup games.

I’m most excited about parking improvements. The lot around CWS is straight up embarrassing and gives no doubts about Orlando’s status as a major football city. Hopefully with these upgrades we can one day lure the NFL. Probably not, but this can’t hurt.

I can't read the article bc of the paywall. Are they basically paving all of the lots?

On another note these upgrades will only improve our chances in getting awarded the World Cup.  What can really clinch it for us is if we can nail down the deal with Virgin trains and Sunrail to provide service between MCO, international drive and its hotels, the theme parks, and the stadiums.

Edited by Urban Mail Carrier
  • Like 4

Since this train will provide transportation for tourists, our elected officials should push using tourist tax dollars as way to strengthen our hand in negotiations with Virgin trains. It makes sense to use some tourist tax dollars to help build the line towards Southwest Orlando. In essence it will be a public and private collaboration, which has served this city quite well. We are already using the tourist tax fund to improve our stadium and now we should use it to connect the stadium to the hotels.

Edited by Urban Mail Carrier
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The latest on the political football surrounding the Orange Center Blvd. affordable housing redo. 

Watch to see if opposition just evaporates after November’s election.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/orange-county/os-ne-orlando-orange-center-boulevard-housing-20190513-lej6jbqeazejzcrbbfgizw3u2u-story.html

From the Sentinel 

• 3 weeks later...

Apologies if this has already been talked about, but this article recently came out at the beginning of the month that said Orlando would consider adding a roof to CWS if it wins a bid to be a host city for the World Cup in 2026, which I thought was very cool.

https://www.venuesnow.com/roof-retrofit-grows-into-a-top-priority/

• Like 2

Just now, Xander said:

Apologies if this has already been talked about, but this article recently came out at the beginning of the month that said Orlando would consider adding a roof to CWS if it wins a bid to be a host city for the World Cup in 2026, which I thought was very cool.

https://www.venuesnow.com/roof-retrofit-grows-into-a-top-priority/

Hank’s love for the Citrus Bowl will soon know no bounds!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, HankStrong said:

If they could give us a roof, upgraded restrooms, and most importantly improved vending locations then I'll call it a real stadium.

A roof would be impressive and probably help with the keeping the Pro Bowl in Orlando.

Just imagine a brise soleil around the exterior and a 7-Eleven on every level inside - MAGIC 

4 hours ago, HankStrong said:

If they could give us a roof, upgraded restrooms, and most importantly improved vending locations then I'll call it a real stadium.

A roof would be impressive and probably help with the keeping the Pro Bowl in Orlando.

If approved, and that’s an enormous “if,” the roof would take several years to install, and it only needs to be in place by 2026, so feet will definitely be dragged. The Pro Bowl has been a huge disappointment 2 of the 3 years here because of weather. I don’t think the NFL will stick around for a promised roof. It sort of seems like they’re interested already in moving the Pro Bowl to Miami with all the Super Bowl festivities. After that, it might be that the Pro Bowl continues in the same city as the Super Bowl. We’ll see, but I’ll be very shocked if Orlando hosts another Pro Bowl anytime soon.

8 minutes ago, Uncommon said:

If approved, and that’s an enormous “if,” the roof would take several years to install, and it only needs to be in place by 2026, so feet will definitely be dragged. The Pro Bowl has been a huge disappointment 2 of the 3 years here because of weather. I don’t think the NFL will stick around for a promised roof. It sort of seems like they’re interested already in moving the Pro Bowl to Miami with all the Super Bowl festivities. After that, it might be that the Pro Bowl continues in the same city as the Super Bowl. We’ll see, but I’ll be very shocked if Orlando hosts another Pro Bowl anytime soon.

Apparently, something changed. My understanding was that we mostly got the Pro Bowl because no one really wanted it and even fewer were willing to spend the money to pay its expenses.

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

Apparently, something changed. My understanding was that we mostly got the Pro Bowl because no one really wanted it and even fewer were willing to spend the money to pay its expenses.

That may have been true at some point but now Miami is pushing very hard for it, along with their 2020 Super Bowl bid. Miami Gardens officials and the Hard Rock Stadium have been lobbying the NFL to have the Pro Bowl and Super Bowl into one enormous, weeks-long party event. There is talk that in 2021, Tampa (which will host the Super Bowl) may request the same deal that Miami might get.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Urban Mail Carrier said:

Can Orlando ever be awarded a Super Bowl or is this only reserved for cities with an NFL team?

Super Bowls are usually only played in NFL cities. From Wiki: 

“No market or region without an active NFL franchise has ever hosted a Super Bowl, and the presence of an NFL team in a market or region is now a de jure requirement for bidding on the game. The winning market is not, however, required to host the Super Bowl in the same stadium that its NFL team uses, and nine Super Bowls have been held in a stadium other than the one the NFL team in that city was using at the time.”

• Thanks 1

On 5/31/2019 at 5:48 PM, Uncommon said:

Super Bowls are usually only played in NFL cities. From Wiki: 

“No market or region without an active NFL franchise has ever hosted a Super Bowl, and the presence of an NFL team in a market or region is now a de jure requirement for bidding on the game. The winning market is not, however, required to host the Super Bowl in the same stadium that its NFL team uses, and nine Super Bowls have been held in a stadium other than the one the NFL team in that city was using at the time.”

Super Bowl XXVII was played at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena No NFL team plays there. Just sayin.

Edited by Xander

1 hour ago, Xander said:

Super Bowl XXVII was played at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena No NFL team plays there. Just sayin.

Remember, the quote says “no market or region.” Pasadena is still in LA’s metro area. It’s only 15-20 minutes from downtown.

From Wiki: “The winning market is not, however, required to host the Super Bowl in the same stadium that its NFL team uses, and nine Super Bowls have been held in a stadium other than the one the NFL team in that city was using at the time. For example, Los Angeles's last five Super Bowls were all played at the Rose Bowl, which has never been used by any NFL franchise outside of the Super Bowl.”

So a Super Bowl will not be in a market that doesn’t have an NFL team. For example, next year the Super Bowl is in Miami Gardens and not Miami city proper. Still though, it’s the same metro area so it’s in-market. Point is, Orlando is its own market and metro, so a Super Bowl is likely never coming here unless we get an NFL team.

Edited by Uncommon

2 minutes ago, Uncommon said:

Remember, the quote says “no market or region.” Pasadena is still in LA’s metro area. It’s only 15-20 minutes from downtown.

From Wiki: “The winning market is not, however, required to host the Super Bowl in the same stadium that its NFL team uses, and nine Super Bowls have been held in a stadium other than the one the NFL team in that city was using at the time. For example, Los Angeles's last five Super Bowls were all played at the Rose Bowl, which has never been used by any NFL franchise outside of the Super Bowl.”

So a Super Bowl will not be in a market that doesn’t have an NFL team. For example, next year the Super Bowl is in Miami Gardens and not Miami city proper. Still though, it’s the same metro area so it’s in-market. Point is, Orlando is its own market and metro, so a Super Bowl is likely never coming here unless we get an NFL team.

Or when we finally get to be Orlampa!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Uncommon said:

I can't even imagine how  insane it would be to have Orlando host a Super Bowl, but I doubt that will ever happen in the history of ever.  Still drives me nuts that we could've had the Bucs and basically sat on their hands. 

You know what i've absolutely never heard anyone mention trying to do in Orlando, though? An MLB team. Why is someone not at least trying to lure TB to this market? It would absolutely be a good market for baseball and likely could build  a stadium/parking garage in the area of CampyLand.  It'll likely be caught up in red tape, i'm sure, but i'm surprised nobody has even so much as proposed it. 

Edited by Xander

38 minutes ago, Xander said:

I can't even imagine how  insane it would be to have Orlando host a Super Bowl, but I doubt that will ever happen in the history of ever.  Still drives me nuts that we could've had the Bucs and basically sat on their hands. 

You know what i've absolutely never heard anyone mention trying to do in Orlando, though? An MLB team. Why is someone not at least trying to lure TB to this market? It would absolutely be a good market for baseball and likely could build  a stadium/parking garage in the area of CampyLand.  It'll likely be caught up in red tape, i'm sure, but i'm surprised nobody has even so much as proposed it. 

Actually, we were part of the mix for an MLB team when the Rays, thanks to some sleight of hand, a lot of whining and a lawsuit, went to St. Pete.

In fact, the TDT was increased to pay for a stadium between OBT and the Citrus Bowl. This was, iirc, when the Glenda and Linda show was in charge.

The truth is, given that neither Florida MLB team has been particularly successful in terms of attendance (even when they’re winning), one may make the case we dodged a bullet.

Just as the Northeast doesn’t much care about NCAA football, it remains to be seen that Florida has an affinity for baseball. Arguably, had it not been for Ted Turner hyping the Braves with SuperStation WTBS when cable was king, that’s likely been true of the Southeast in general.